Record Store Day "RSD" April 2018 Releases*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwd, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I gave a Mall Newbury Comics a shot not expecting anything and found my Mono Piper after not having luck elsewhere.Last time I tried a mall store on RSD they were sold out of everything.

uzn007 likes this.
  2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

From the RSD list it is an "RSD First" release - meaning it'll get a standard release eventually. The RSD doesn't have colored vinyl or anything else to distinguish it either. I just figured hey I might as well pick it up now rather than waiting, since there was a reasonably priced copy in one of my local haunts yesterday. I think you'll dig it once you get a copy!

Vinyl_Blues and aoxomoxoa like this.
  3. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Damn, picked this up, mulled it, and decided to pass. Just checked and my local still has it. May have to pick this up. Good package? The price is certainly right.

4. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

See my post above, Ax - should be getting a standard release soon. I will check the inner groove to see if I can tell who mastered the RSD vinyl.

UPDATE - back of the album says mastered by Bob Ludwig. Since this is the first vinyl release ever of this album, I was assuming that means it is accurate for the vinyl but perhaps not. I can't tell anything from the inner groove - maybe someone else can - it says "Cool - JLM" on both sides along with the matrix numbers. Anyway - sounds good!

2ND UPDATE: Perhaps the "JLM" refers to Joe Lambert Mastering? Joe Lambert Mastering

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    AxiomAcoustics and aoxomoxoa like this.
  5. AxiomAcoustics

I'm an Ornette junkie, it was #3 on my list behind the Grant Green titles. Also like the label so buy most of the Jazz that they issue.

Santo10 and s m @ like this.
  6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I am realizing I made a typo above - there are THREE songs per side on the Hardin, and actually the last song on side 2 which I hadn't fully gotten through yet when posting isn't shortish, it's an 8 minute piece! Interestingly this is different than the RSD listing for the title, which lists only 2 tracks per side.

7. AxiomAcoustics

I believe JLM is Joe Lambert Mastering, so probably not Ludwig. But I'm surmising here.

8. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Yep you are right my friend (I had just edited my prior post to reflect this) - and on closer look it is actually "Carl - JLM" in the deadwax (boy are my eyes going...) which means Carl Rowatti at Joe Lambert Mastering.

9. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

You will not be disappointed. Listening to this one. Sounds great!

Santo10 likes this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

Maybe it was Cool Carl ;) I haven't been able to read deadwax for years. New audiophile vinyl accessory: the electron microscope.

DrJ and bluesaddict like this.
  11. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

I love the first 5 volumes of the Hillbillies in Hell series, so I couldn't miss out on Volume 6(66) !

Deep, deep underground…

From the brimstone Hayseed labyrinth comes Hillbillies In Hell: Volume 666 – a blazing collection of psychedelic pedal-steel guitars, tortured Gospel odes, She-Devils, possessed minors, hayseed barroom homicides, hallucinogenic nightmares and desperate souls. Originally waxed on microscopic labels and distributed in minuscule amounts, these troubled and forgotten troubadours sing of drug-fulled delusions, deathly rivers and Satan’s perpetual temptations.

Years in the making – ‘Hillbillies In Hell’ (Volume 666) presents 18 testaments of benighted sinners, timeless tribulations, bottomless graves and the tall flames of eternal damnation.

A Luciferian cache of subterranean 45s, some of these sides are impossibly rare and are reissued here for the very first time. All for your primordial listening pleasure.

Full dynamic range 2018 remasters direct from the first generation analogue master tapes. Limited to 666 copies – 222 (randomly inserted) ‘Hellfire Red’ LPs / 222 (randomly inserted) ‘Lucifer Ablaze’ Orange Splatter LPs / 222 (randomly inserted) ‘Endless Torment’ Black LPs

12. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I'm kinda ticked off at myself (and partly at Bull Moose). Since they had posted "..Satanic.." as being in mono, I never thought to look at the cover more closely because had I realized it was stereo, I would likely have put it back and gotten something else. At least I hope it ends up being a nice pressing.

13. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Had a great record store day. Showed up to my store a few hours early and was number 4 in line. They had everything including all the UK stuff so i got everything i wanted and then some. First guy in line was a def flipper scum. He was going through his list and looking online to try to gauge what people were clamoring for and what was looking scarce while waiting for the store to open. Just to have fun with him, i engaged him in conversation about what he was most wanting. He would throw out titles and I would respond with further info on each artist and he didn't have any clue. Just hate those folks. They make RSD a bad time.

Other than him, it was great. Good people and like other's have experienced at their stores, there were also people grabbing stuff for others who were next to them.

Only two things i didn't get that i really want are the Arcade Fire ep and Ella at Zardi's and of course these would be super hard to find now. I had an Arcade Fire in my cart at Plaid Room this morning but was removed as i didn't check out fast enough(hate that crap). And ive been watching all the other stores put their stuff online today but i have missed out at every one of them.

I refuse to pay scalper/gouger prices and bull moose looks to be out of both of these titles so sadly I probably won't get these.

Santo10, bluesaddict and Davidmk5 like this.
  14. Justin C

Justin C Well-Known Member

Plaid Room currently still has copies of Open Mind for sale (apologirs if others already responded--just saw this)

The Open Mind The Open Mind

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I went out later in the Day to my local store , i'm just not into the Lining up anymore .....just me ..

I really wanted the two Live Duran Duran lps & i got both of those & I wanted the Live Patty smyth & scandal which i got .............. I had the Grant greens on my list ,but they are just Expensive so i passed (not saying they are not worth it just trying to budget, i'll get the cd later ) I also really wanted that Ella fitzgerald live at Zardi's but it was sold out , Kinda Amazes me that's such a hot item & people are paying $$$ for it as it's getting a re-press later ............. Overall pretty Happy :)

JeffMo likes this.
  16. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

Even at less than 20 minutes, the Eno + Shields is stupid great if you like either of them.

Gabe Walters, uzn007, s m @ and 5 others like this.
  17. Eamon

Eamon Forum Resident

Love that Latin playboys album, unfortunately not released here in the UK for RSD

DrJ likes this.
  18. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I spent more than I thought I would ($236). I stopped by my local indie (Park Ave CDs in Orlando - THE BEST record store ever IMO) around 4pm and thru surprisingly had lots of titles still stocked. I missed out on mono Piper but picked up:

Grateful Dead
    Elvis Presley
    Delvon Lamar Organ Trio
    Neil Young
    Baby Huey

And a few non RSD CDs. They had a new Elvis LP in the RSD section called "RCA Studio 1 - The New York Sessions" on the Memphis Recording Service" label. It was $50 and I hadn't heard about it or had even seen it on the official RSD site. Anyone know anything about it?

Memphis Recording Service

19. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Anyone listened to the Dead box yet ? I know historically they are good pressings but still am curious about this one.

20. Don’t forget it’s 45. I started playing at 33.

bajaed likes this.
  21. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

I don’t know if anyone answered your question. I picked up TKAA yesterday and am very happy with the sound. The liner notes in the booklet say it was remastered by Jon Astley in 2017. The booklet is a heavier paper than what was used in the original. One difference with this release is the letters on the inner sleeves aren’t raised like they were on the original. Overall it’s nice to have as a companion to my original beat up 1979 release.

dee, davers and Davidmk5 like this.
  22. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

RSD 2018 pressing quality reviews

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

The two live Duran's sound terrific.

24. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

25. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I had never heard of that , looking at the site seems to be some sort of Grey market releases ?? they have a tone more

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.