Bandcamp source-audio quality standards?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by crookedbill, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crookedbill

crookedbill Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I've recently made a hard decision to re-rip my entire CD collection to a lossless format (using dbpoweramp), quit buying CDs, and stick with lossless 16bit/44.1khz downloads going forward - primarily from 7 Digital and Bandcamp.

However, I've always been curious about how they source their lossless files from the labels/artists, so I did a bit of lurking and just realized Bandcamp actually advises its labels/artists to rip their old CDs to AIFF or WAV using iTunes.

Bandcamp Help | Bandcamp

Uh, most audiophiles here know that ripping a CD with iTunes, even with "error correction" enabled, is a tricky game and errors will inevitably make it through (personal anecdote - my CDs are spotless and I still have about a 5% error rate using dbpoweramp). Shouldn't Bandcamp be recommending applications like dbpoweramp to make sure the audio they sell is error free?

Andy A likes this.
  2. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Why don't you ask them?

Andy A likes this.
  3. crookedbill

Ya know, I just might.

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Never had a problem with a Bandcamp download however if there's one site I trust 100% to take care of their customers if there was a problem it would be them.

Robert C likes this.
  5. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I prefer ALAC, but their files are always 1411 Kbps?!?

6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I think it's really cool that sometimes you end up with 24/44 or 24/48 files when you choose lossless FLAC. I like Bandcamp a lot.

noname74 likes this.
  7. crookedbill

Well, I emailed 'em about it last week. No reply. I guess they can't be too concerned about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.