The new Sony UHP-H1 plays everything - Blu-ray, SACD, CD, even DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. witchdoctor

witchdoctor New Member

I'm using the RCA outs for music and HDMI for movies into my Marantz 7702 processor as RCA sounds better to my ears. I A/B'd the Spotify player on the UHPH1 to both my 7702 processor and my Bluespound Node. It was easy to switch players using my tablet. I was very surprised that Spotify through the UHPH1 sounded better than either unit. I switched my Node to play Tidal and the UHPH1 playing Spotify still sounded better. I have the player set to use the DSEE HX upscaling and IMO it works. I then compared a native 96/24 track I ripped to a thumb drive to the same file playing on Spotify and the Spotify still sounded better to me. I think the RCA's are great but you need to go into settings and turn on the highest bitrate and turn on DSEE HX.

Kasper Resen likes this.
  2. witchdoctor

witchdoctor New Member

Another surprise was playing with the DTS Neo 6 function. When you turn it on it sends a 6.1 multi-channel signal to your processor. Great for old movies recorded in 2 channel, TV shows on Hulu and certain types of music. A GREAT app for this player is Qello Concerts. Fantastic app, like the Netflix of concert recordings.
    I have yet to start playing with the video settings.

3. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

A question to those using analog out. Is my system or this blu ray player is too bright?
    It seems painful to ears at times.

4. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Mine sounds fine. Certainly not overly bright.

5. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

The DSEE HX, should matter only for 44.1- 48khz files.
    SQ from analog out was ok for me, until I moved the player because it was getting very hot underside, and there's little space to breathe, especially if put it on the amplifier..
    I don't know if it's placebo or anything, but now it sounds bright, I can't stand it for more than some minutes, digital out is good though..

6. witchdoctor

witchdoctor New Member

My player is sitting on the Mapleshade Isolation system on a maple platform and sounds very good. I downloaded a 16/44 and a DSD file from the same master from the 2L testbench to a thumb drive. Loaded the thumb drive to the USB port of the UHPH1. Without the DSEE HX engaged the differences were obvious. When I engaged it the differences between redbook and DSD were very subtle.

I used the analog out and have not experienced any brightness with DSEE HX engaged. Without it certain high frequencies like high notes of a violin can seem a little bright.

7. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

Just placed an order for a refurbished UHP-H1. I've been using an old Pioneer that plays SACD/DVD-A, but I'm tryingst to get more and more BD-Audio titles.

Tim Glover and PhantomStranger like this.
  8. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

I was using the player through dlna and analog out was so so, acidently I tried with an external hard disc through usb in, and it's like night and day!
    A lot better.
    Well it can all be in my mind, but maybe playing through network, needs more power, or there are more tasks to perform.
    If you are using the player a dac, just use usb input. Does anyone know what's the maximum size hard disc supported?

9. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Important news for anyone who uses the Music Center app in conjunction with your UHP-H1:

Information | Sony | Music Center

If you want to continue to use it, you shouldn't update the app or the UHP-H1 firmware past next month (November 2018).

This seems like a pretty crappy move on Sony's part, especially after their hyping of the audiophile capabilities of the UHP-H1.

10. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

The uhp h1 i have tried sounded worse than my sony tv analog outputs and any other players i have. It had lots of bugs, and it took me a few days to understand that this player was a sony failure. No idea what they have tried to do.

11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

WTH is going on at Sony? Sounds like they've had an attack of the stupids again.

12. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

I'm still on ios 10.2. My music center version is 5.10.Does anybody knows if there is a later version for later ios?
    I'm asking because my Music center doesn't support gappless playback as advertised by Sony, and unfortunately cant see Jriver music server.

13. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Music Center is still on 5.10 for iOS.

14. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

PhantomStranger and sunspot42 like this.
  15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Will it work with PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC?

Does it accept external hard disks with dsd files or just usb sticks?

What app is used to browse the hard disk remotely on a phone via network and is it good?

Does it work as a bluetooth receiver to play files from a phone wirelessly?

Is internet radio available?

Are all digital outputs simultaneously active?

Is gapless possible now?

Is there newer replacement model?

Link or other little monitor example please?

16. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

AFAIK, that DAC will not accept HDMI input from any source.

Tim 2 likes this.
  17. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

Has anyone tested if this player can output 192khz/24bit lpcm content through spidf, it should from the specs and there's even a menu for it, but I can't output 192khz files through coaxial to external dac. 96khz files are ok.
    This not protected content just flac files from dlna.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  18. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

Actually sometimes it works but it stutters heavily, I'm using a coaxial blu jeans cable, don't know if that matters..

19. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.