Children's Records! Do you remember yours?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bosskeenneat, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

[​IMG]

sharon lois and bram..bought it again recently for my kids but wasn't in very good shape..

[​IMG]
    Bob Schneider - Listen to the Children.. i remember seeing him at my local library and my parents had this record

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I have no idea why I remember this one but I do. I had several 78s and this was one of them. Haven't heard it in over 55 years but here it is on YouTube.

3. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

[​IMG]

My first Sun Ra record.

4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

[​IMG]
    I had a nice assortment of Disney records. Some of them would be re-bought due loss or damage but this was a one & done. FWIW it failed to get me in the Mouseketeers.:)

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Did you at least have the hat? :)

MikaelaArsenault and forthlin like this.
  6. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

[​IMG]

Not something I bought. Probably a hand-me-down.

Despite the claim that everyone in the family would be entertained, I don't believe anyone was.

7. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

One thing about this album (edit--WALT DISNEY'S MERRIEST SONGS, Disneyland DL 3510, from 1968), you couldn't in one sense classify it as a kiddie record--the bass response isn't rolled off to allow it to track on your typical kiddie player. It will skip all over the place on them. (I found that out all too well as a kid. Found a nice copy again just a few years ago.) But play it on quality equipment, and you'll be in for a few surprises.

8. Kadink

Kadink Forum Resident

The Stooges didn't but Canned Heat did (WARNING: This is awful!):

9. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Yes I do,but they were all-DOO-WOP!!

Terrapin Station likes this.
  10. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Frankie Howerd - Peter & The Wolf

Second record bought for me by my parents, I was aged 6 years old.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Did Peter tame the Wolf with LSD in this version?!

12. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I know! Even worse, Howerd’s schtick, having found success with Up Pompeii! - Wikipedia ! was full of double entendres and innuendo - looking back on it I have no idea what my parents were thinking, unless it was that I would be listening to it a lot, so they might as well enjoy it also...

13. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

That I can distinctly remember?
    [​IMG]
    The Soupy Sales Show, 1961.

14. wab93

wab93 Forum Resident

Belated addition to the thread, but being born in the 90s I had cassettes. Some of my favourite ones were:

The Muppets - Favourite Songs From Jim Henson's Muppets
    Play School (Australian kids' TV show) - There's a Bear In There, Oomba Baroomba
    Raffi - Singable Songs for the Very Young, More Singable Songs
    Sesame Street - Born to Add, Sesame Road
    The Wiggles - Yummy Yummy, Big Red Car
    Various - Two, Three (from the 0-9 series, where Australian rock artists did cover versions of songs like Let's Twist Again and See Ya Later Alligator)

Also managed to pick up vinyl copies of There's a Bear In There, More Singable Songs and the 0-9 series during my collecting adventures the last few years; now to track down Singable Songs for the Very Young (I wore out about 5 copies of that album on cassette).

15. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Over the past few years, I've been trying to put together a complete collection of Young People's Records and Children's Records Guild recordings which were put out on 78 (and later, 45 and LP) from about 1946 through the early 1950s. Between the two labels, they released about 190 or so recordings, of which I have about 160. If anyone would like to have a listen to any of these, here is a YouTube playlist.

Young People's Records / Children's Record Guild - YouTube

16. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I had this one. Wasn't till I thought to look it up on YouTube just now that I found out the voice was Pinto Colvig, who did Goofy for Disney — and also, for a year or so, Bluto on the Max Fleischer Popeyes. (Note that the YouTube poster misspelled his name.)

17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Here's one I listened to again and again as a kid. Speaking of great voice talent — Mel Blanc, Arthur Q. Bryan (Elmer Fudd) and June Foray (all the female characters)!

Funny thing is, I didn't have the picture book that went with this, only the record. So I just used my imagination.

After more years than I'd care to tell, I saw the picture book for the very first time when looking this up on YouTube just now.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  18. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

The first I remember was a set of 78s of Johnny Mercer singing songs and telling the Tales from Uncle Remus.
    Kind of a Walt Disney's Song of the South soundtrack for kids.

19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

One more post that may relate to the overall intent of this forum even better.

I had two 45s as a kid that were versions of "Catch a Falling Star" and "Purple People Eater." Thing is, they were kids-label knock-offs, rather than the genuine recordings by Perry Como and Sheb Wooley.

Several years later, when I finally heard the actual hit versions of these two songs, they sounded "funny" to me because I was so used to the versions I'd listened to so often in my younger days.

20. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

The Story of Return of the Jedi LP and picture book.

[​IMG]

21. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

When I was really young, my records were primarily Disney productions. The Jungle Book, Mary Poppins, The Haunted Mansion, etc. They featured stories plus music. Slightly older, I'd get records for my birthday or Christmas and they were usually bugglegum type compilations. (Think 1910 Fruitgum Company - and "Yummy Yummy Yummy.") My family also had a couple Monkees albums, which I still associate with bubblegum rock, which is probably why I still have no interest in them. And of course The Archies, who additionally gave way to an awkward sexual awakening. That Veronica and those short skirts, man. But I digress.

Slightly older still, it was all Elvis (Presley) all of the time because that's what my mom listened to. In fact my first concert was in '76 as a boy of 12 was seeing Elvis at the Syracuse War Memorial. Then I started listening to my sister's 45s and K-Tel comps, eventually getting one of the latter myself.

After that I explored my own music. My first love was ELO and that holds true today. But hey, Elvis is still cool as well.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  22. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

23. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Let me think back...

I had a record of "Peter and the Wolf", which helped teach me the sounds of different instruments.

I had a record of "Tubby the Tuba".

I had a couple of those records where you set the mirrored carousel on the spindle and you could watch the cartoon characters on the label move.

Later I got some Disney soundtracks like "Peter Pan".

I had a set of LPs that had various genres of music on each. One had folk songs like "The Erie Canal" and "John Henry". One was classical music. My favorite was all Gilbert and Sullivan - I especially loved that one!

24. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I remember having a couple Disney albums as well as a CD of Thomas the Tank Engine songs as a kid, loved both.

25. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Humphrey B Bear ! 2 volumes to this

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.