David Bowie - "Bombers" appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Judge Judy, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Bombers" is a song I've only ever seen as a bonus track on the Ryko edition of "Hunky Dory" and also in a version on "Bowie at the Beeb." I love this song and I can't understand why it wasn't put on the album originally, or at least made more widely available now.

Does anyone know if there's some kind of rights/licensing issue that's keeping this song buried? Because to me it's right up there with his greatest material from this period.

2. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

It featured as a slightly different mix on this year's RSD release 'Bowpromo'. Personally I can live without it on Hunky Dory.

pwhytey and mr.datsun like this.
  3. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

It has the "Hunky-Dory-Bowie-vibe", so if you are in for the sound of it, then enjoy.
    Personally, I'm not a fan of it. And I can tolerate a LOT of Bowie! ;-)
    He was right to replace it with Fill Your Heart, In my opinion.

Regarding why it hasn't surfaced in many years: There will come a day where all those outtakes will get remixed again.
    Just wait and see. The Bowie releases will never stop.

mr.datsun likes this.
  4. mr.steelydan

mr.steelydan Forum Resident

I also love that song - especially in the combination with the acoustic Supermen. However, I also think that it would not have fit well on HD. A gread B side it could/would have been.

5. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I still can’t get over the fact that the powers that be decided to ignore the hitherto unreleased stuff on the recent box sets...
    Grab those early 90’s EMI’s, folks!

geogaddi83 and audiotom like this.
  6. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

You can see why this was initially shelved. The vocals are all over the place and it is just annoying.

pwhytey and Gila like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like it a lot but see what you mean. I don't mind the vocals being all over the place! I prefer Fill Your Heart.

The version of Bombers on the Hunky Dory CD doesn't sound finished to me. It's quite rough sounding and more like a rehearsal or demo. The drumming falls out of time a bit on it too. I can't see that it would have been released like that next to sublime performances and great recordings as Life On Mars?, Oh! You Pretty Things, Changes and Queen Bitch. As somebody mentioned earlier, it would have been a good B-side. It's surprising Life On Mars? wasn't a single in 1971.

Cassiel likes this.
  8. Summerisle

Summerisle Forum Resident

Some of you folks are harsh. My opinion is that it should have been on RE:Cal 1.

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm surprised it wasn't. Did that compilation stick to material that was officially released at the time?

Totti is god likes this.
  10. mr.steelydan

mr.steelydan Forum Resident

Some years ago I read somewhere that DB and Ken Scott(?) thought the song to be 'too good' and given DB's then low prominence the song as a single might not get the attention/appreciation by the public they thought the song would deserve and wanted it to hold it back for the future (probably knowing by then what impact the Ziggy songs (then in the making) would have)

However, I am not sure of this is true.

Man at C&A and Ethan B like this.
  11. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Love this song...Arguably my favorite Bowie outtake. I'm not sure I could imagine it on HD, which I consider to be a perfect album, but it certainly would be a cool Side B opener!

Ludger and audiotom like this.
  12. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Is the EMI CD the only way to hear it? Is it available in the digital domain in its original mix?

13. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

That it is not on Recall 1 is criminal

Judge Judy and David del Toro like this.
  14. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

And the sky a greenish taaa-aaa-aannn!

Loved it when the Sound + Vision came out and I heard it first. Still do. Like a curious hybrid of Deram era and Ziggy. Fantastic.

15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I liked it quite a bit when I first heard it as a bonus cut on the Ryko CD.

I remember I was riding around with some people in my car in High School, smoking weed (we called it “backroading”), and the song came on the car stereo on a comp tape I had made. After the first opening blast of “All cleeear, wailed the sirens”, the guy in the front passenger seat hit the eject button promptly. :laugh:

Judge Judy and CBS 65780 like this.
  16. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: In 1980, I managed to procure the bootleg single with "London Bye Ta Ta" on the flipside. The main difference between it and the Rykodisk version is that the upper harmony on the chorus is much louder, particularly on the word "sirens."

[​IMG]

Chrome_Head likes this.
  17. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I love Bombers, but obviously Bowie wasn't a fan.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Love it.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Fantastic track with one of my favorite Bowie vocals.

Absolutely should have been on Hunky Dory, right in the spot were "Song For Bob Dylan" unfortunately ended up. :cool:

Judge Judy likes this.
  20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

This does sounds unconvincing as a reason for it being shelved. And I agree with the others above, that Hunky is better off without it.

Better than Rupert The Riley but not as strong as anything on Hunky Dory.

Also to all who think it should have been on recall. Those CDs have never included outtakes or any unreleased material.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  21. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

.. and then he was in for a big surprise, right between the eyes ? :angel:

Ludger and Chrome_Head like this.
  22. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

who cares if they haven't

THEY SHOULD HAVE

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Ok, then! :)

24. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Artists shelve all kinds of good work in favor of crap all the time, so I guess it's not that mysterious.

25. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

The wonderful long fade out of 'The Bewlay Brothers' slowly ebbs away to complete silence and then - "ALL CLEAR WAIL THE SIRENS!" completely destroys the carefully created mood.

Sorry, I just can't bear 'Bombers'. I actually deleted it from my iTunes library!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.