Bands that classic rock radio forgot

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eatthecheese, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

In the AOR days, The Court of the Crimson King and 21st Century Schizoid Man would get played, in NY anyway.

rockclassics likes this.
  2. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Unless you live in an unusual market with a special radio station or don’t have a CD/MP3/cassette playing capability in your car, I frankly can’t fathom why anyone would bother listening to FM radio if they like classic rock. Even when radio stations do “remember” a band not on this list, it’s one of 3-5 songs. Eg, the Stones did Miss You, Beast of Burden, and Gimme Shelter. Zep did Stairway, Kashmir, and Black Dog. The Beatles were that band that did Come Together—too bad we never heard any more from them. This makes economic sense for the station (the average listener will be tuning in for just a few minutes and those songs apparently keep people on that station), but if you have any interest in this music, it’s a waste of time.

3. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I heard "20th Century Schizoid Man" in the middle of the night on the local classic rock radio station once about 25 years ago. The girl I was with thought I'd lost my mind.

This is really just another "modern FM radio sucks" thread. And yes it does.

4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

True. Radio to me is a placeholder if I’ve got nothing better at hand to listen to.

5. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

The commercials are the main feature on classic rock radio.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Not one of these bands is forgotten by classic pop radio. They are simply represented by a limited number of their hits--just like almost every other artist on these narrowly programmed playlists.

Byrds get Mr. Tambourine Man and Turn Turn Turn, The Rascals get Good Lovin, The Lovin' Spoonful gets Summer in the City and Do You Believe in Magic, etc. The only band on your list that has nearly faded from sight is The Yardbirds, who are not heard very often.

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

But we are talking about classic rock radio. That type of radio implies that the music that they play were hits back in the day. King Crimson does not qualify in the least.

8. Waylon9

Waylon9 Forum Resident

Zebra!!!!!

Northwind and Joey The Lemur like this.
  9. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Yeah. Like if I'm driving five minutes to the store, I'll check to see if anything good is playing. But that's about it.

Northwind likes this.
  10. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

WLS in Chicago, KZEW in Dallas and KGGF in Coffeyville all played songs from In the Court and later from Red back in the 70s.

11. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

The Beatles seem to have been forgotten about on the radio. Can't remember when I last heared anything by them over recent years. The only related songs that 'pop up' now and again are Imagine & Live and Let Die.

12. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Think the thread should be

Forget Classic Rock Radio

303 Squadron likes this.
  13. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Nailed it.

Music is what our own playlists are for...and no damn adverts, DJs, news, weather and sports reports

Leaving more time for...music.

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Rainbow

Northwind and phillyal1 like this.
  15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

As occasionally gets mentioned in these threads, it's nice to listen to the radio and hear someone talking about the music intelligently and enthusiastically, sharing their passion with you and others. Some of us would like to have that as a part of our music listening experience along w/ our own personal playlists.

Unfortunately that's becoming less and less possible with terrestrial radio, at least as far as R&R is concerned.

phillyal1 likes this.
  16. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I’m hearing Hello It’s Me quite a bit on 70’s Rewind (Sirius XM)
    - oh, I see you mean FM

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  17. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Most of the bands on that list (other than Traffic) are not what I would consider "classic rock"... but "classic pop" or "oldies".

18. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Who cares? The fact is, FM is dead for all intents and purposes, and isn't coming back in any meaningful way. (I think FM is analogous to the "Stages of Grief"; currently, a lot of people seem stuck in the "denial", "bargaining", and "depression" stages and need to find a way to progress toward the "acceptance" stage!:))

With a Spotify/Apple Music/etc. subscription, one can easily tailor a "radio station" to fit his/her preferences and then go on to discover more good music than can be heard in a lifetime! I have made more great musical discoveries in the three years or so that I have used subscription services than I did in the preceding thirty years of FM, 'zines, word of mouth, or message boards.

19. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

GUN ! GUN ! GUN !
    Next time you see him , give him my overwhelming thanks for their two outstanding albums !
    Dreams And Screams !

20. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Speaking of bands classic rock radio has forgotten...

I enjoy much of Paul Gurvitz's work from the 70s... especially Three Man Army's Two.

[​IMG]

21. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

That hurt a lot of their albums. It made sequencing them very difficult. They had a lot of songs that weren't happy together.

pokemaniacjunk and Chris DeVoe like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

...and Utopia.

It's always enlightening to compare current "Classic Rock" playlists to ones from the day.

Lightworker likes this.
  23. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Was that the time that Barry Gibb sat in on bass for him?

24. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

They're all going to be forgotten as the format barrels toward a demographic dead end.

Us Gen Xers are already being aged out - what's going to happen when they get to the graying folks who grew up when MTV stopped playing music?

25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

When did they ever get played on "Classik Rawk[tm]" radio?

Chris DeVoe and Suncola like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.