Question about setting tracking force

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CBackley, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

I just my turntable (Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC) back from the repair shop. Because I’ve only set up a tonearm a couple times before, for some reason this time it went a little differently than the previous two times I’ve set it up. Usually at the end of the process, user are supposed to turn the counterweight so that it’s at 17.5 on the dial, which represents 1.75 g tracking force. That’s always just worked for me, and I verify it with a digital scale.

However, this time I had to turn it back a bit before the digital scale said it was 1.75 g. The counterweight was between the 16 and 16.5 markers (I don’t know what else to call them). Should I set up the tonearm and counterweight again to ensure that the counterweight dial is where it’s supposed to be, near 17.5? Or is the important thing here that my digital scale gives me a reading of 1.75 g?

I hope what I’m asking makes sense. Thanks!

2. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

You're making sense fine. Try balancing your arm and zero out the scale on the counterweight and then advance to the recommended tracking force using the digital scale. And if the counterweight markings jive with the VTF on the digital scale good. And if the counterweight markings are off a little bit, still good because that's common on a lot of tonearms I've used. Trust the digital scale if the batteries are fresh.

CBackley and willboy like this.
  3. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

A scale is always the most accurate.

Leonthepro, chili555 and CBackley like this.
  4. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident

Could anti- skate be causing an issue? I am not very familiar with Pro-Ject tuntables.

5. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

The anti-skate is set with a weight. Maybe the OP set the arm with the anti-skate weight on (it's supposed to go last).

CBackley likes this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

Nope. Left the anti-skate for last. I think I must have just made a slight error in the initial balancing of the tonearm. Maybe it was floating a little too high or a little too low before I turned the counterweight dial to the suggested 17.5 position.

As long as the scale says 1.75 grams, I should be good, right? I tested it at two points — near the inner and outer grooves. And I’ve calibrated the scale with the little weight it came with and with a penny.

Leonthepro and punkmusick like this.
  7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Then it's good to go.

Leonthepro, CBackley and chili555 like this.
  8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You dont need to worry about markings if you have a digital scale, end of story. And this is a good example of why you should use a digital scale. Ive seen LP120s be up to 0.5 grams off of the actual VTF.

Good that you remembered to remove any anti skate first though, very common rookie mistake.

CBackley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.