RSD 2018 pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Patty Smyth and Scandal - goodbye to you ! Best of the 80s live .... ... double lp pressed on hot pink vinyl ....
    Really solid Flat pressing , very happy with this set , cover says they cut the lps from 1st generation masters , it sounds really good , nice separation of the whole band , vocals up front , good punchy Dry mix , 1st three sides make up a new haven ct. show pretty sure this was once a radio broadcast & side 4 is 4 songs from the 1984 Warrior era tour ;)

[​IMG]

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The Sundays - Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic is excellent. Huge upgrade from my CD.

Lou Reed - Animal Serenade is dead quiet and sounds great. It's kind of a strange live album but it works because it's recorded in smaller intimate venue. It's odd because there is barely any drums, I think only 2 or 3 songs had any percussion. Never hear the CDs, but these 3 LPs are mixed brilliantly. The guitars and vocals sound great.

Van Morrison - Alternate Moondance also sound great.

chaz, landerstnkb, heavysoul and 3 others like this.
  3. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

They agreed to swap - they had 7-8 unsold copies of Piper..

4. Moroboshi

Moroboshi Well-Known Member

"Monk" sounds very nice. Pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pressing as well.

5. TheeGory

TheeGory Forum Resident

Good to hear!! Nice dynamic pressing??

Mazzy likes this.
  6. Gethan Wall

Gethan Wall Agent Provocateur

Anyone comment on the Elvis - King In The Ring release? Looks like a nice package, but didn't pick it up due to concern over sound quality as the 68' special sit down sessions weren't the best recorded.

Shawn likes this.
  7. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I was very impressed with the Jethro Tull 25cm of Moths. Lovely pressing, quality presentation and delightful music !

Gethan Wall likes this.
  8. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Grant Green - Slick! // very nicely pressed at RTI and cut by BG. It sounds phenomenal and the performance is great. Everyone seems to love this one and it’s well deserved. A+

Messengers Incorporated - Soulful Proclamation // this one is my favorite in terms of the material. This is a great record! I though I detected a warp when I pulled it out of the sleeve, but it sat flat on the table and sounded very good. No untoward noise. I’m surprised a repress of a private press album from the 70s sounds this good. A

Nas - Illmatic @ The Kennedy Center // I had to have this. The performance is historic. The packaging is very nice w printed inners, books, a poster and gold foil embossing on the cover. The performance is wonderful. The sound is good but not great. I suspect this was difficult to record with a MC and full orchestra. Still a B+ for me.

I didn’t get anything that disappointed me and the Grant Green Can legitimately be called an audiophile release I think.

Potential Energy and Defrance like this.
  9. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

You are correct, the sibilance issue with cymbals and hi-hat is on my copy too. I hear it on the last two tracks on side 1 and most of side two. I mistook it for inner groove distortion at the end of side one but it is definitely on the first song on side two.

Defrance likes this.
  10. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

That’s a great album!

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Pink Floyd Piper Mono: Perfectly flat, most flat LP I've bought in years. All of the stereo Floyd LP's I bought had some kind of warpage so this is a happy surprise. Plays and sounds perfect for the most part, there is an invisible but very audible click on the end of "Bike." Kind of a bummer but I'm not really bothered.

Doors Matrix #2: Again, a perfectly flat pressing and no audible clicks or other noises.

Christopher B and Pats Radio like this.
  12. For those of you not following the Neil Young - Roxy thread, Chris Bellman popped in to confirm that it is an all-analog cut.

Myke, polchik, Beatledust and 10 others like this.
  13. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

The Residents - The W***** B*** Album

This actually sounds pretty good for what it is. A decent GZ pressing with no issues.

Van Morrison ‎– The Alternative Moondance

This is a Chris Bellman cut, Optimal pressing. Sounds terrific.

Rekkerds likes this.
  14. sortvinyl

sortvinyl Forum Resident

My copy of Dead Bees has no problems, it sounds great.
    I don't have the cd so I can not compare the sound, but I'm very happy with the way it sounds.
    Before buying it I was thinking about waiting for the black vinyl, I'm not a fan of coloured vinyl, I think it is too difficult to see dust and stuff on them.
    If the store you bought it at have any copies left, I would try to exchange it if I was you, hopefully you get a good one in exchange.

15. Peterr

Peterr Forum Resident

Same here only a little glitch on side three, different pressing US/EU?

16. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Latin Playboys LP sounds great. :cheers:

17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Got thru disk 1 of the Cure Mixed Up. Has a rather high noise floor (it is a picture disc after all) but the music sounds good.

Defrance and JeffMo like this.
  18. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

Glad to hear so many great reviews of the Neil Record. Just ordered a copy on amazon.

Did anyone grab that Wilco Live record? Curious about the quality and the packaging. It's a bit steep retail price.

19. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Sound / Pressing : A
    Packaging : B-

Not much to it but the material, really. But it does sound great.

AlienRendel likes this.
  20. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

yeah, I have the digital music from the BT deluxe edition, and it's a great live set. Was hoping the packaging was high quality as well.

21. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

A 12" cardstock insert and 2 LPs in RTI poly bags is all you get.

22. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

Is it a gate fold at least?

23. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

No. Just a double sleeve.

24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Did you try to convince the owner that AAA is the way to go? Interested to know. I remember you had commented about talking to the owner last year.

Defrance likes this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Haven’t listened to my Dead box yet since I’ve been working all weekend. Looking forward to it. Other than Piper it’s the only thing I really wanted. I didn’t get to the store in time to get the Floyd.

Does anyone know if they used the remix done for the Fillmore box or is this a new mix?
    The original Dark Star on Live/Dead never sound right to me in the remix.

Christopher B and ODShowtime like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.