Blind Melon - Nico on vinyl (May 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident Thread Starter

Now up for pre-order on Analog Spark - Blind Melon - Nico (180-GRAM VINYL RECORD) (PRE-ORDER)

Thanks to @mick_sh for the heads-up in the Soup thread (Blind Melon Soup!!!! I'm so Pumped ).

PRE-ORDER - SHIPS MAY 25

NEVER BEFORE AVAILABLE ON VINYL

Mastered and cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio

180-gram LP plated and pressed at QRP

Housed in a Stoughton old style tip-on gatefold jacket with insert and photos by Danny Clinch

Thirteen track collection of rarities, which includes an alternate mix of the Top 20 single "No Rain" as well as covers of Steppenwolf's "The Pusher" and John Lennon's "John Sinclair"

AllMusic *** - "A fine collection of leftovers, which unfortunately marks the official end to one of the most promising new bands of the '90s."

TRACKLISTING:

Side A

1. The Pusher
    2. Hell
    3. Soup
    4. No Rain (Ripped Away Version)
    5. Soul One
    6. John Sinclair
    7. All That I Need
    Side B

1. Glitch
    2. Life Ain't So ****ty
    3. Swallowed
    4. Pull
    5. St. Andrew's Hall
    6. Letters From A Porcupine

Logfire, Grow Fins, jazon and 4 others like this.
  2. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Listening to the album now. Interesting, hadn't ever really given it much time. Given that it is Analog Spark and how marvelous their other stuff has been, probably worth ordering. Mot sure what to make of the No Rain version, do I like it? Do I hate it?

The blurb on their site says mastered and cut by Kevin Gray but nothing about whether it is all analog or not, so I have to assume it is not.

3. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

This is fantastic news :goodie:

4. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Done and done.

5. blind_melon1

Glitch, Pull, Soup, Swallowed and their cover of The Pusher are some of their best songs. Worth it just for those tracks alone.

The rest are interesting, but not essential. I've never really liked that 'Ripped Away' version of No Rain....

Love this LP though, can't wait to get it :)

Interpolantics and Grow Fins like this.
  6. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Love this record, I'd have to imagine given the variety of sources that this was put together on a DAT in the fall of 96.

Grow Fins and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  7. That’s what I was thinking too.

8. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Grabbed it, thanks for the heads-up.

9. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Is Christopher Thorn's band Sonny Boy Thorn still going? I hope they are because their single "Wild And Free" from a few years ago is amazing rock n roll. But where is their album? I'd love to finally listen to their full-length.

10. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

“Soup” is their best song ever, IMO. I may have to get this if it doesn’t cost me $50+.

11. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

I concur, but I think the track Soup feels unfinished. When the rhythm section kick in, it feels like they had planned developing it further, but for whatever crazy reason decided not to and left it off the Soup album.
    Anyway, good for the vinyl people this is released, let's hope the mastering does the album justice. I'm happy Nico gets recognized after all these years through this release.
    I'm still happy with the original CD I bought the year it was released, I have listened to it more than the debut.

12. SkyblueSky

SkyblueSky Well-Known Member

This is great news...AS has proven worthy with their killer re-res. Just wondering why the $30 price tag? Most everything else $25.

13. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

They did play it exactly as it is on the record at Woodstock 94 though; which may indicate to me it was considered complete by them. I could never understand why it wasn’t included; I think it’s an amazing song.

Ivand, Grow Fins and Larry Schmidt like this.
  14. I’ve always thought the same about the song “Soup”. Feels like a strange transition from the intro beginning part to when the rest of the band kicks in, I really love the beginning part.

15. TeleKing

TeleKing Forum Resident

I'm surprised this band isn't more cherished by true music fans. Shannon Hoon was easily as good as Kurt Cobain. Their music was far more interesting. Even the 90s kids (which I am one of) don't put them on the pedestal as they do the other 90s bands. Surprising because I think their records were outstanding.

Grohlfan and blind_melon1 like this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Shannon was his own thing. Wish we wouldnt go comparing him to Kurt. They were both lovely and both missed. As was and is Andrew.

17. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Clear vinyl version will be up for preorder on analogspark.com beginning 4/21, per analog spark's twitter.

18. FourWalledWorld

Thanks for the heads-up. Glad I hadn't made the pre-order yet.

19. blind_melon1

Dammit! Now I have to order it again!

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  20. FourWalledWorld

Per Analog Spark's Twitter (Analog Spark on Twitter ), the clear edition won't be listed for pre-order today. No new date has been announced yet.

mick_sh likes this.
  21. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

:realmad:

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  22. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

CD sounds pretty good but I can't wait to hear this.

23. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Been thinking about this and I have to say that's a pretty crappy way to handle a release. The die hard fans order the vinyl two seconds after it's been up for pre orders and are of course really happy. Then, a few weeks earlier, suddenly a (probably) more limited version shows up without warning. I don't like that at all...

blind_melon1 and FourWalledWorld like this.
  24. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

Of course it's supposed to be; "a few weeks later..."

blind_melon1 likes this.
  25. Mr Mojo

Mr Mojo Forum Resident

I cancelled my first order now, so hopefully I will be able to grab the clear version once it's available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.