Homeland: New show on Showtime

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

My major problem with this week's episode is the time line - Carrie had a major psychotic break when Dante Allen died, and by the time of his funeral had already had three shock treatments and was as good as new?

halfjapanese and Humbuster like this.
  2. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I actually rewinded at the beginning to see if I missed a "3 months later" at the bottom.

3. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Well that made the credibility problems with recent episodes look like gritty realism. I've really been enjoying this season despite the silliness, but I thought this episode was just terrible. I don't even know where to begin.....

L.

mrjinks likes this.
  4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Definitely a notch (or 2) down from the last episode, that's for sure. Oddly enough, this week's episode of Billions wasn't as good as last week's either.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, who knew it was so easy to go Rambo in Putin's Russia! Also, one has to wonder how they're getting signals intelligence inside that Faraday cage/tent. Very silly episode.

6. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Ridiculous pretty much from start to finish. I wonder how well Budapest stood in for Moscow for people familiar with the latter, but that's just potentially one small part of what made this episode ridiculous.

L.

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

First thing I thought of when I saw that tent was this

[​IMG]

Yes a very cartoonish espisode, and yet I still enjoyed it. And I'm not one for Rambo type stuff. But it kept me entertained for an hour. Guess I'm more low brow then I thought.

mrjinks likes this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The rubber band of incredulity was stretched beyond the breaking point.

lschwart likes this.
  9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

That's an accurate summary of the entire series for me. I enjoy the first-rate production values, the acting, etc. But ever since Carrie got involved with Brody in about episode 3, I've been rolling my eyes more often than not. It keeps me entertained, but I doubt I'd ever recommend it to anyone...

GentleSenator likes this.
  10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

I found this week's episode entertaining. But as others have mentioned, it pushed far too much over the line into 24 cartoonishness...

The stuff with the guy in the control room leading Carrie (now turn left, there's a door there) was right out of 24, with Chloe leading Jack with her perfect blueprints of ever building ever constructed. That 3/4 of the soldiers who went in to extract the target got away when they were ambushed is silly (and how did they get all Russians INTO the house without anyone noticing? I thought they'd already determined these wasn't much surveillance). That the Russians would not mention the incident at their next meeting is pretty unlikely. Carrie being able to convince the Russian agent woman with her 2 minute spiel was also pretty unlikely.

In all, I thought they'd set up a pretty interesting story. But given that the season ends next week, I guess they had to just start taking shortcuts to sew things up.

Deesky likes this.
  11. DLD

DLD Senior Member

You mean like Max hacking into the Moscow traffic cameras to follow Yushkins (sp?) caravan of bad asses over to the GRU's headquarters? As someone else said, very 24-ish. Only Chloe wasn't there doing the hacking.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Some producers that worked on 24 also work on this show. But yeah, that 'turn left' thing really irked me. I mean, how the hell does laptop-guy know in which direction Carrie is facing for the target to be on her left side?
    I don't disagree with you at all. I was pretty entertained in the moment and the season as a whole has been good, but when the ep was over and one thinks about what one just saw...:doh:

DLD likes this.
  13. misterdecibel

...unless they do a cliffhanger.

Lonson likes this.
  14. Lonson

That would be uncharacteristic, but since they're already breaking the usual by the final episode not being a sort of "cool down, wrap up and foreshadow" episode. . . who knows.

15. misterdecibel

That's what I was thinking, they've broken the usual pattern. With that, and the knowledge that Season 8 will be the last, a cliffhanger seems at least possible to me.

16. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I'm curious as to why so many of the people who post in this thread keep watching a show that they don't like or think is so unbelievable? In order for a show like this to work requires a suspension of disbelief for the viewer to enjoy it. :confused:

17. Lonson

There's suspension of disbelief. . . and then there's plain WTF that's silly. This show sometimes, but not always goes in that latter direction.

Plus this show has been based on a sort of "ripped from the headlines of an alternate contemporary reality" plot substance and you can't really have it too much both ways--grippingly real or wildly fantastical.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  18. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Now I think I've seen everything.

The show went from my favorite, a respectable more or less realistic spy drama into the complete turd in just one episode. This was THE biggest pile of crap I ever saw. The stinking piece of BS that made Rambo look like a friggin' documentary. I can spend the new few days counting every BS in this pathetic crap but I'm glad most of you guys already see it for what it is. Even in the wildest days of the early 90's this was 300% impossible. Today I'm afraid it's gonna paralyze an entire russian security apparatus since GRU and SVR officers are probably rolling on the floor laughing their asses off and Putin is heaving a seizure. Imagine a russian TV show about russians blackmailing the corrupt head of CIA (who of course keeps his money in Russia of all places) in 5 minutes into ambushing the headquarters of Pentagon's military intelligence with a few vans of thugs then you know how I feel about this garbage.

:hurl:

RIP Homeland.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Rufus McDufus likes this.
  19. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I like the show and that's why I keep watching it, but I think the episodes (like this week's) that leave even the most basic requirements of believability behind are a big disappointment. The basic premise at the heart of the show is pretty far fetched, but the stories for the most part have been anchored well enough in believability once you've accepted certain premises. But this Sunday was just, as Lonson put it, silly. Why write so thoughtlessly?

L.

20. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Poor Snowden. He's probably shaking in fear after watching this episode as he waits for Carrie to burst in through his window.

21. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Well Budapest doesn't look anything like Moscow and there is no airport of such name in Moscow as well. But as you may guess that's the most believable part of the whole thing and the smallest piece of this BS tsunami.

22. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Yup.

L.

23. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

And especially for you guys that's the foreign intelligence HQ in Moscow. Carrie must be somewhere over there with a van waiting outside.

[​IMG]

24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

All of a sudden the storyline with the daughter doesn't seem so bad!;)

mrjinks and lschwart like this.
  25. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Please tell me it was just a dream, a parody and not a real episode. 7 seasons of (often) greatness flushed down the toilet in just one hour.

Mlle. Aurora likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.