Barry Gibb Demo Recording of "Grease"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Song4U, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member Thread Starter

delmonaco, supermd, Kirk76 and 23 others like this.
  2. Gordon Lynne

Gordon Lynne Forum Resident

Stunning! Thanks for the share

3. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Arghhh!! Barry, you're killing me!!!

tages and ferdinandhudson like this.
  4. Song4U

The hand clapping cracks me up it sounds like hand clapping on your legs or something lol
    It's amazing this song was written so quickly and in Miami which I didn't know.
    Isn't it weird how stuff shows up like this, it's in a vault somewhere hiding out...I mean this stuff is so cool to hear especially from a Grease fan like me.

supermd, notesfrom and Doggiedogma like this.
  5. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

Ha, I knew it! I figured he had one stashed away somewhere and quite surprised they'd be able to wrangle it from his hands.

John Rhett Thomas and JDeanB like this.
  6. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Very happy to hear this. Thank you for posting...oh, what could be in Universal's hands...

7. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

the man was/is an absolute genius.

JSKC, Chris_Sydney, tages and 6 others like this.
  8. ferdinandhudson

Strangely enough I haven't heard a word about a 40th anniversary edition of the soundtrack, I would imagine Universal would take advantage of this in light of the new BD edition coming out. Much like what happened with SNF last year. Hopefully they'll add the demo to that (I'm not holding my breath for that happening though).

9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I could certainly do without new remixes.

ferdinandhudson likes this.
  10. Bern

Bern JC4Me

Many thx...a good interview.

Bern

11. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yeah he is a genius, yet he is never put on the same level as McCartney, Wilson, Bacharach, Dylan etc etc
    It's stated somewhere that he has been involved with more number 1 hits than anybody, one of the
    documentaries I think. One of my favourite guys.

JSKC, Majk, tages and 3 others like this.
  12. Song4U

So Grease came out in Summer of 1978 and the original soundtrack would had to be recorded prior to this so when do you think Barry recorded this demo? He sounds a bit like Andy Gibb in spots and I love the falsetto.

13. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

IMO he is every bit on the level of all of them. His gift and use of harmonies, melody, counterpoint, etc is masterful.

I think he could have literally written an emotionally impactful #1 hit in his sleep.

tages likes this.
  14. ferdinandhudson

The song isn't really integral to the movie itself, ie non of the cast is singing it, just tagged on to the opening and closing credits. The filming wrapped in September 1977 so the film was pretty much done by this point. The single of the finished song was out in May, they would need time to work on the animation but I don't think it'd be too difficult, Brennan gives a guesstimate of "around February 1978" for the Valli recording which sounds plausible. I don't think there was too much of a gap between the demo and the actual recording.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Song4U likes this.
  15. ferdinandhudson

Give me the demo, the instrumental version with Gary Brown on sax and the instrumental version without Gary Brown on sax and I'd be happy.

JeffMo likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It was reissued on vinyl recently. My local store said it didn't sell at all, unfortunately.

17. ferdinandhudson

The 2015 re-issue? Give it a big enough promotional push with this anniversay and it'll do a bit better I'm sure.

Song4U likes this.
  18. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

made my day, thanks for sharing

19. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

All they'd have to do is add that demo to it and a ton of people would buy it! Universal, are you paying attention?

Song4U likes this.
  20. Song4U

I'm not familiar with Barry Gibbs recording process but he says this demo was recorded at Hit Factory, which used to be Criteria. So he penned this at his home and then drove to a recording studio to cut the demo? Is this studio in Miami?

It's amazing how this demo sounds pretty much exactly like the original even down to the fade out...Barry really knew exactly how he wanted this to finalize. It's also amazing how he hardly takes a breath during this demo even doing the falsetto part.

21. Song4U

Thanks for the clarifying those dates. Grease may have just been an opening song but boy what an opening and people love that song. When I went to the 40th showing people were bobbing there heads and singing along they knew the words thank goodness they were quietly doing that.

22. ferdinandhudson

Yup, Criteria is in Miami. 1755 NE 149th St to be exact.

Janis Elleray likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I sure think it's a much stronger album than Saturday Night Fever. I just listened to it and didn't realize mine is a promo copy. That was certainly a fun summer when that film and soundtrack was out. Seemed like there was a copy in everyone's house! I really wanted to see it in the theatre again and had it on my calendar but was busy.

24. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Having recently become obsessed with the One Night Only recording of this, it's cool to hear the original demo.

With that said, I still hope there is the actual released composition, with Barry on a scratch vocal in existence.

25. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: This title song never really attached itself to the movie it was specifically written for the way that "Bye Bye Birdie" did. Whenever high school drama classes put on a performance of "Grease," they usually don't include it. In the case of "Bye Bye Birdie" however, pretty much every staged version of it since 1963 has included it at the end (though not in the beginning, like in the film).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.