Classic Psychedelic Vinyl - Current Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rkellner, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Very true. Good luck to both of us on finding one! I feel like a well marketed properly done reissue would do very well

2. Danish Friend

Danish Friend Well-Known Member

Any SQ opinions on the Fifty Foot Hose album? Never heard of the Aguirre label before.

3. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't have an original to compare it to, but it sounds pretty solid to me. Seems like an official release. Now, I am sure this was not a sonic marvel in the first place, but I am happy with it. I got the edition with the bonus 7in

Rodant Kapoor and Danish Friend like this.
  4. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I’ve since looked more thoroughly into this one. They’re advertised with (what can be translated as) “printed directly from the analog films in the company archives” which seems to imply All-Analog mastering. It sounds fine, but I’m not so sure that’s actually true. It’s cut at SST in Germany and pressed by Pallas. SST is equipped with a preview-head tape machine and are capable of cutting all-analog, but other recent Israeli reissues were also explicitly explained as being mastered from the original tapes with no digital steps... and then later revealed to be cut from digital, also at SST. So I strongly suspect that’s the same for this album. Would be nice though. Either way, pressing quality itself is nice.

There’s a black vinyl version in print, a picture disc, and a clear vinyl version limited to 300 copies was pressed up as a Record Store Day release. All versions are pressed from the same metal parts.

I’m not of the camp that picture discs inherently sound bad, I think there are plenty that sound great and there are too many variables in production, however this is one of the worst I’ve heard. So I’d avoid this one. The clear vinyl on the other hand is extremely well pressed and doesn’t look great at the expense of sound quality. I’m sure the black vinyl is also good, coming from Pallas. All options cost far less than the $4000+ you’d end up paying for a clean original. Hope this helps!

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Got The USA Stereo release by Kevin Gray. Sounds phenomenal even though the recording isnt top notch.

6. Rkellner

Going to have more to contribute to this thread as I picked up The Open Mind and The End - Introspection RSD releases...and that mono Piper but that thread is already 100 pages deep

Gumboo likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

I wonder if the new Rationals and The Stooges reissues from Third Man Records are the best sounding versions.

8. Rkellner

I’ve got an original Stooges and the new 2LP from Third Man. I’ll let you know!

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. Leonthepro

Great, I was mostly wondering how it competes with the Rhino reissue since that one also gets a lot of praise. But if its better than the original thats great too, especially if you like the bonus material.

10. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

I’m pretty happy with the open mind package (although my single has a scratch). Nice informative booklet and seems a good pressing. Only listened once so far though and that was yesterday and I was too knackered to really listen hard. Nice one to have though

Gumboo likes this.
  11. Rkellner

Did a quick shootout of my original Stooges LP (early Electra labels) vs the new Third Man 2LP. Its almost identical to my ears. I don't know if I could pick one over the other in a blind test other than one being cut slightly quieter vs the other. Flawless pressing.

johnnypaddock and Leonthepro like this.
  12. Rkellner

Currently spinning the Sunbeam Records Open Mind RSD reissue. Seeing as how the current cheapest copy of an original is $1500 on discogs (in VG), you can just assume that I don't have an original to compare this to. That said, this is a great alternative for about 1470$ cheaper. Nice clean 180g pressing. Bonus 7inch w four extra songs, nice 10 page book, good clear highs, nice punchy bass. I can't find any notes on the source of this (does Sunbeam even have a website?), but it sounds really nice to me.

Not sure how it compares to the 2001 official reissue on ACME which also had a bonus 7inch, but less bonus songs.

I think I can comfortably call this the definitive version of this album.

Purplefowler likes this.
  13. Leonthepro

Sunbeam is usually on the border of being a counterfeit company.

14. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Since reading about this I've given it a listen via Qobuz. The version on there has some horrendous sibilance: presumably this is because these CD versions were just needle-drops from a damaged LP and/or a mistracking stylus? I assume such sibilance is absent on this new pressing?

15. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

...which makes me wonder whether they've gone back to the original analogue tapes? There doesn't seem to be much info about Sunbeam records and they haven't been very active of late. Their web site doesn't load up... o_O

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Don't they purport to be headquartered in Liechtenstein?

17. Leonthepro

Yeah, too shady.

18. Rkellner

Well for what it is worth, the info on many of their releases tout using original tapes and involvement from band members. Now...not all of them state where the sources came from, but neither does Sundazed and I still love them :)
    SUNBEAM RECORDS - Forced Exposure

Purplefowler likes this.
  19. Rkellner

Interesting... Modern Harmonic (Sundazed sub-label) has two Fifty Foot Hose titles on the way. The self titled as well as a second LP called "Bad Trips" which may be a bunch of unreleased early demo work. Would love to hear some opinions when they come out. That Aguirre reissue was pretty good to my ears.

Any other classic psych reissues on the horizon???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.