Springsteen Tunnel Of Love (Love or Hate) ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeffczar, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I consider it this...his last truly classic album.

dalem5467 and Jerryb like this.
  2. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

It's an album that wrote itself, and at the time one that needed to be written. It's dark and broody just the way it should of been.

Carlox, highway, dalem5467 and 2 others like this.
  3. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

thanks for sharing that video, brings back some memories.
    the album is a classic, if no other reason because it's Bruce's breakup/heartbreak album.

dalem5467, Carlox and John Adam like this.
  4. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Agreed. Tunnel of Love and Devils and Dust are the only Springsteen albums I own and I love both of them. However, One Step Up is simply one of the most raw, honest and beautiful songs ever written IMO. I come back to it often and can relate to it a lot.

Carlox likes this.
  5. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

He’s got a few more worth checking out

Davido likes this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i've owned a club pressing that sounded awful, but yeah i think the original UK and US were the same. this is an easy one to find too since i think the silly cover causes it to get overlooked when stuck between 15 copies of an album with an ass and an american flag on it.

7. Freeman 024

Freeman 024 Forum Resident

Lyrically, Tunnel of Love is the best album Springsteen ever made, and One Step Up and Valentine's Day, in particular, are absolutely gut-wrenching in their honesty. Contrarian that I am, I almost feel like the animus this album causes in many of Springsteen's most avid fans actually compels me to prefer it to some of his more celebrated albums.

8. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Last of The classics, And My first album On cd I really love It.

dalem5467 and Carlox like this.
  9. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I think it's Bruce's conscious effort to make a 'Blood On The Teacks' type album. There's some excellent songs on there. A couple don't work. Some of the production is a bit weak here and there. I'm thinking 'Valentine's Day' maybe...other times it's great: the title track, 'One Step Up', 'Tougher Than The Rest'.

With regards to Human Touch/Lucky Town - the songs are great but the production lets it down big time - 'Real World' is a prime example - a major song turned into a filler track. Should have been a curated single album, should have had different production and arrangements.

I actually think Springsteen has production problems one way or another on everything post-BITUSA. I think that album was produced
    a bit 'of it's time' 1980s Digital big drum sound kind of thing. It did work though and has aged well. I think he's struggled since then with finding song arrangements that work and production that fits. 'The Rising' kind of works but even then there's some dodgy production here and there - hard Stereo isolation in one channel and so on.

10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I forgot about 'Brilliant Disguise' which somebody mentioned - again a good song with a great chorus melody I feel it's a bit let down by the arrangement and production. It should've sounded a bit more like 'Loose Ends'.

11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

seeing all of this praise and appreciation of this album makes me finally feel like i'm not alone

dalem5467 and Carlox like this.
  12. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Missed opportunity. It's a brilliantly conceived album with beautiful, great songs. But the production just kills it for me. The treacly synths and the drum machines just made it seem slick and processed to me (It was also the start of the affected "twang" in his vocals). Sounds horribly dated now and I rarely listen to it. It's too bad, because he really had something special there with that group of songs. I always wondered what it would sound like if he re-did it with a rootsy Americana-style band. Anyway I know I'm in the minority, most people love it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    budwhite and Etienne Hanratty like this.
  13. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Well, sir, there was was a little bit of twang in Nebraska but maybe you're talking about another aspect of his vocals. Brilliant Disguise is so amazingly incredible you cannot dismiss the album... it seems an homage to Roy Orbison in retrospect. I don't know if it's his last great album but it's certainly close to the last great album.

14. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

Yes I suppose that's true about Nebraska. Agree that TOL is Probably his last great album, in the sense that it was his last great cohesive piece of work. With none of the filler that started showing up in HT and afterwards.

15. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Devils and Dust is pretty good, with the melodies that some missed from Ghost of Tom Joad. I've become somewhat jaded about some of his later work but he did plenty of fine work in the 90s and 00s.

16. ALAN SICHERMAN

ALAN SICHERMAN Van Cortlandt Park, Bronx, NY

I haven't heard it in a while but I always like it. I'll have to give it a listen.

17. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

The songs on TOL remind you of what a truly great songwriter he can be (Production is another story). I had always hoped he would have a great late career renaissance like Bob Dylan had in the late 90s/ early 00's. Alas it never really happened. Which is maybe why he's playing for the champagne and caviar crowd on Broadway every night now.

Davido likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.