Has anyone heard VPI's new integrated tube amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGruder, Nov 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Congrats on an incredible project. It does not get better than this. I almost wished I was employed by your company working on projects like this. But, GM is my employer at the management level.

2. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

I thought the same thing. At that price, I think there are many reluctant partakers. Seth at SoundStage has one and loves it. He mentioned G & R's drummer called him up and asked specifically for that amp. It's a gamble, and one I'm willing to make. An old saying comes to mind. "When everyone thinks alike, everyone is likely to be wrong."

Billy Budapest likes this.
  3. Tor33rpm

Unit arrived and I could not be happier. It actually exceed my expectations. My review would be redundant to the other reviews, so I won't bore you with a long geek out. It lives up to the hype. Love the bias adjustments for each tube. It's sexy and sports a vintage look I was looking for. Of course......pops. Not once have I had to touch the tone controls. Love it.

4. Tor33rpm

Last note. If I buy something that is extraordinary, a compliment is well deserved. Steve Leung's name and personal phone number is on the the cover of the manual. I decided to call him this morning and thank him for lifting my listening experience up quite a few notches. He was very nice and humbled. Steve suggested I up it a bit more with his VAS MC Set Up Transformer coupled with the VAS Nova stylus. BTW.....Steve mentioned there are only 10 299D's left.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Can't see the FB image since I do not use FB. I have read the VPI amp was in fact made in China.

6. It wasn’t made in China according to VPI:
    So, it appears to have been “Assembled in America” and could have been labeled “Made in America,” but VPI didn’t want to label it as such.

7. Also, see here:
    Even at $4,000, this tube amplifier is a remarkable value

8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

There's no picture to see. VPI changed their website a few months ago so the link to the image is broken and therefore doesn't work.

I believe this is the amp being discussed.

[​IMG]

9. Tor33rpm

That's the one.

10. coopmv

But I kept seeing comments stating Cayin designed and built this amp.

11. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Cayin assisted in the design, however they did not build the amp. It was assembled at VPI in New Jersey using parts sourced from China.

12. Well, not all parts. The metalwork was. Not sure about everything else.

13. Who posted the comments you are seeing? You should be able to gauge their veracity depending on the messenger.

14. Tor33rpm

I believe they did. I must say that this sounds far better than the Cayin I sold. Classier vintage look, too. Still enjoying the VPI. I'm listening to every record for the first time again....picking out subtle nuances I've never heard before.

Jerry James likes this.
  15. coopmv

There are quite a few other threads on this VPI 299D on the SH Forum that predated this thread ...

16. But do any other threads have comments from VPI? ;)

17. Tor33rpm

From VPI? No clue. I'm not sure that they even contribute or comment. I understand many companies don't comment. One manufacturer claimed anything can be taken out of context.....this creates a bad taste in the mouths of would be clients.

18. THIS thread has comments from VPI. Have you read the entire thread? That’s what I was getting at. Hence, the wink emoji.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. From Mat Weisfeld, CEO of VPI. See above quoted post.

Tor33rpm likes this.
  20. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

“...it was designed, engineered, and assembled here but the majority of the supply isn't from here.”

* ...designed here (New Jersey) - Check!
    * ...engineered here (New Jersey) - Check!
    * ...assembled here (New Jersey) - Check!

* ...majority of the (parts) supply ISN’T from here - the reason (IMHO) it’s not not labeled as “Made In The USA”

I understand VPI was building to a price point, and sourcing 100% of the parts from the USA would have put it over the price point where VPI felt they could move 100 units. And even at $4K MSRP, Upscale Audio still has three unsold, and Elusive Disc also has some stock remaining. I’ve even see some open box demos selling for $3K, and used examples selling for even less.

21. Tor33rpm

HA! I did not! I popped in the night I bought one after reading other threads' reviews and comments. That's pretty funny!

22. Argus1

Argus1 Well-Known Member

I have this amp and I love it. It looks like my days of solid state are over and I will not return. This amp drives NHT 2.9 towers and it sound great. I considered the Primaluna but went with the VPI after hearing both. The tone controls were one of the reasons I went with the VPI. It sound warm with a nice tight bass not bloat, just smooth sounding and not tiring.
    I think there are plenty of these amps still available new and discounted. I did not pay anywhere close to retail and shipping was included. My unit number is one of the first ten units of 100. I would by this amp again. Great performance at a great price. You can't go wrong.

dolsey01, hi_watt and Jerry James like this.
  23. coopmv

Has anyone heard the relatively new Carver Crimson 275?

[​IMG]

Only released before the end of 2018. Made in the US, $2,750 and 5-year warranty ...

Twinsfan007 likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What does this have to do with VPI?

hi_watt and Synthfreek like this.
  25. coopmv

Nothing except they are both tube amp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.