EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

No love for “The Rumour”? @Grant ?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Never heard it

3. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Agh! Those are two of my favorite mid 70s ONJ songs!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Anyways, you people are shooting your ONJ wad before we've even properly gotten to her first #1! Patience people, it won't be long.

Grant and sunspot42 like this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It’s my fault. I tend to turn any thread I enter into an ONJ one. I’m surprised I haven’t been banned.:D

Bevok, Grant, Jrr and 3 others like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

The CD is quite rare. Great sounding disc, though. Features all the artwork.:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  7. Bobby Morrow

I do like The Rumour. Should have done better than it did. Perhaps her last decent single.

pablo fanques likes this.
  8. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I don't blame you at all - wait, isn't that a Smokey Robinson tune? - I guess people are champing at the bit to get to her songs! This is getting way ahead but I remember really liking this early 90s recording that unfortunately, went nowhere. Guess her time had passed.

Grant and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. Bobby Morrow

Deeper Than A River came out around the time she was diagnosed with breast cancer and kind of got lost in all that.

Grant likes this.
  10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Meanwhile, let's focus, focus, focus on this period. A song that made it only to #7 here, but whose singer would lead on a #1 coming up:

11. Bobby Morrow

Barry’s songs all sounded the same to me.:D

Though I have a fondness for You’re The First, The Last, My Everything.

Jrr, sunspot42 and Manapua like this.
  12. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

True. But Traffic's UA stuff was available on Island/Warner Communications by the 80's and their core albums remained in print. Some of Kenny Rogers's albums became part of Liberty/EMI and of course his Greatest Hits albums of the era stayed in print. Of course Rogers was a bigger act, so he's not going to be as forgotten like most.

War on the other hand had albums like War, The World Is A Ghetto, All Day Music and Deliver the Word out of print for 20 years, that's a long stretch and practically a generation.

13. W.B.

One act whose music truly sounded the same from one song to the next was Al Green. Round this time he had a #1 on the R&B charts that missed the Top 10 here: "Livin' For You." Listen to this and you'll see, or hear, why:

By then Mr. Green was an institution. But I'm reminded of a famous comedian's quote: "Marriage is a wonderful institution. But who wants to live in an institution?"

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Isn't this the third or fourth time in the past few months where an artist has died just after we mentioned them in this thread? It's creeping me out!

Grant and pablo fanques like this.
  15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, I love Al Green, but he really rode that sound into the ground.

SomeCallMeTim and Grant like this.
  16. W.B.

Or more specifically, his producer Willie Mitchell. And that sound was typical, really, of all Hi Records acts. (Think, for example, Ann Peebles' "I Can't Stand The Rain.")

17. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Seriously!

I mean, the odds of it happening are greater since most of the folks we're discussing are senior citizens (including the elder Jackson and Osmond siblings) but it's still eerie.

18. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Well, Livvy is going on 70 and has medical issues so let's hope the cycle is broken.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  19. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I still don't see why a few label buyouts would have made the bigger artists slip from memory. ELO, Bobby Womack and Ike & Tina Turner are three more who are still remembered long after UA got swallowed up by EMI.

Grant likes this.
  20. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next we have "Show and Tell" by Al Wilson, #1 from January 13 - January 19, 1974.

21. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I absolutely LOVE Al Wilson, This may be his only #1, but I thought he deserved much more success than he got, for my money, his voice is superior to that of both Marvin Gaye and Al Green. I have his Searching For The Dolphins album from 1967, and it's an amazing piece of work. 1974 would be his most successful year, with this song reaching #30 later on in the summer:

SomeCallMeTim, Mylene and Damiano54 like this.
  22. Glass Candy

Glass Candy Forum Resident

Finally another beautiful #1! Love this deeply soulful track, surprisingly gritty for a chart topper in this era, but with a great pop hook.
    I only got into this track through 90s compilations, no recall of it from childhood.

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You aren't missing anything! Terrible album imo of course (though I think it sold all of 12 copies in the US) and the last one that any effort was made to sell to the same main stream audience. Glad she still tries though.

24. Bobby Morrow

If this was a UK hit it must have been a minor one. I have no memory of it at all. The differences between the US and UK charts was often huge.

The Al Wilson single is good, but it's like a new song to me.:)

25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They just released a 20th Century hits comp on vinyl and we finally have decent sounding material! I agree a lot of his stuff is repetitive sounding but I still enjoy his material. I guess we won't discuss him much...I don't recall many number ones!

Bobby Morrow likes this.