Buried In Time--McCARTNEY II--POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~"Summer's Day Song"
    ~"One Of These Days"
    ~"Coming Up"
    ~"Waterfalls"

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  2. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I was not a fan when it was released... but it has grown on me. Fun low pretense innovative experimental pop. Love it. Top 5 solo McCartney for me.

3. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Headphones and a fatty. :righton:

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

The original double album version wasn't turned down, Paul actually decided to whittle it down to a more "commercial" single album. No question, 90% of the listeners never would have made it past side one of the double album (if they even made it that far). Gotta admire Paul's cajones for sequencing it that way, though.
    That used to be S.O.P. for me:cheers:

5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Hmmmmm..... played this and "Trans" this week. One comes across as actually pretty cool, successful experiment, the other as an old guy locked in a room with too much state of the art equipment. And way too much time. And money. Now: Guess what is what:whistle:

(Apparently Lennon liked it)

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

John Lennon rated it,so

7. Neonbeam

Two things I really like about this album: The two instrumentals. And the fact that you can make really cool selfies with the vinyl edition's sleeve.

8. Neonbeam

Songs I like:

Coming Up
    Temporary Secretary
    Waterfalls
    One Of These Days

Songs I love:

Front Parlour
    Frozen Jap

OK - but too conventional:

On The Way
    Nobody Knows
    Summer Day's Song

Can't stand:

Bogey Music
    Darkroom

Strange mixture.

9. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Currently spinning the 2011 reissue
    [​IMG]

10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

One of McCartney's absolute worse!

I do like Coming Up - both versions.
    One Of These Days - It's actually one of my very fave McCartney acoustic songs.
    On The Way - Yeah it's the bluesy guitar playing that I love, and I also like BB Kings version.

11. Morninggloryseed

Morninggloryseed Mind Expanding Seed

If forced to choose, One Of These Days. But Temp Sec, Coming Up, Waterfalls, and others are incredible. How come Mccartney did not sue TLC over Waterfalls? Some straight up plagiarism going on there. Clearly I love the more avant-garde (ie crap) side of the Beatles as Mac 2 is in my top 3 fav solo records by Paul. Conventional music is so....conventional.

12. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Girls Just Want to Have Fun also feels like it borrowed from Frozen Jap a little.

13. Frank

Frank Senior Member

As Robert Hazard wrote Girls Just Want to Have Fun in 1979, it most certainly borrowed none of it.

14. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

That's right! I forgot it was released by him first. So, maybe McCartney heard it and ripped it off.

Frank and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  15. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

This is one of those albums that has really grown on me over the years. I like it more now than I ever did. I have the original UK CD and really like the extra track called Secret Friend.

16. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Or maybe an idea so fantastic as "Frozen (Potentially Offensive Term In These Sensitive Times Redacted) Girls Just Want to Have Fun" was just sitting there in the ether, and both men were tuned enough into the universe to pluck it out.

(Seriously, though, it appears McCartney's recording and Hazard's authorship were pretty simultaneous. Neither was released when the other was written.)

17. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Yeah, the part that sounds similar is not the most unexpected melodic line, it's reasonable to expect more than one person to compose it.

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

I'll spin this record tonight. An odd album maybe Paul was just getting his toes wet entering 80's waters. Not sure what sound he should enter the new decade with, with much chagrine of his then current audience.

Somerset Scholar likes this.
  19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Just listening now. Forgot that I really like On The Way!

Side 1 is fun.

Frankly, if one has affection for McCartney, I don’t see how one can not appreciate II...They are separated by 10 years and nothing else. They are kooky, fragmented, homespun, wack-job records that grow on you like an old flannel shirt with pink buttons...as in, it doesn’t quite work on first glance, but so what!

20. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

That’s such a great little song! It’s my daughters favorite!

theMess likes this.
  21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

McCartney II sucked me in from the first listen, even if I didn't quite know what to make of the album at the time. I always liked the album, but it took me years -once I started doing my own 'one man band' projects- to actually "get it".
    My five year old likes it as well.

theMess and Allen Michael like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Bump ;)

Sean and 905 like this.
  23. 905

905 Senior Member

40 years old next week, and have it on now. It's one of my favorites, fun record indeed.

24. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

McCartney II... I'm a big fan of McCartney's 5-album run from 'Venus & Mars' through 'II'. For me, that period was when I was first getting into music and then getting fanatic about it (4th grade through freshman year of high school), and The Beatles were the first band I was fanatic about so of course with Paul on Casey's Top 40 all the time I became a fan of what he was doing in those years. All these years later, I'd say I listen to 'II' more than any of the others. 'London Town' would be close. Just something about the weirdness of 'II'. Sometimes I sounds like an experiment to me, sometimes it sounds more finished. Big fan of the Archive version of this album.

One of the things that makes this album appealing to me is I think the track sequencing is very well done. "One Of These Days" as a closer, 2 thumbs up.

25. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

My four pics;
    Coming Up
    On The Way
    Waterfalls
    Front Parlour
    btw I like Secret Friend bonus track on the CD too.
    This was recorded June/July 1979, Bowie's Low released in Jan '77, Heroes in Oct '77.
    I gave this another listen recently and I think it's a great album.
    I don't know about it being so experimental, sounds like Paul is in full control of things.
    I would rank it as one of the best post Beatles albums by any of the former Fabs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.