60s pop/garage experts... I need help finding info about this song:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cwitt1980, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

Recently bought this from a fellow forum member here and the cd doesn't have too much info. I'm trying to figure out if this is a cover or original.

Same goes for this moody one:

The Stowaways - Just A Toy (1967)

2. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

3. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

I've never heard either of those songs before but I'd bet on them being covers, simply because the album was originally released on Justice Records. There were certain unwritten rules that applied to every Justice LP:

1. No band may record more than one album
    2. No member of any band may be over 20 years of age
    3. The album must feature exactly twelve songs, or eleven if one is an extended rendition of "I'm a Man" or "Summertime"
    4. All songs must be covers, with the exception of instrumentals which may be original compositions

...or at least that's how virtually every Justice release turned out. Because they never pressed more than maybe 500 copies of any album, all of the label's releases are worth big bucks. Collectables reissued most of them on CD some time ago in typical Collectables fashion (iffy sound, no bonus tracks, pointlessly modified cover art).

EDIT: By Googling some of the lyrics in quotation marks I determined "You Lied" was originally recorded by The Tams in 1964. Makes sense that The Stowaways would have covered it as Justice Records was based in North Carolina and The Tams were one of the most popular "Carolina beach music" acts at the time.

I can't find any source for "Just a Toy", but chances are it's a cover as well.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    chodad, cwitt1980 and McLover like this.
  4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks. It's a great track even if the Stowaways weren't quite that competent yet. Now I'm curious if there are any other versions of this out there. It does make for a good rocker if played in that fashion.

5. tymespan

tymespan Forum Resident

The liner notes states that's "Just a Toy" is a band original.

GodBlessTinyTim and cwitt1980 like this.
  6. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

You Lied, by The Stowaways also appears on the LP
    "Best Of Justice Records "
    (Norton 2007)

that is the only lead I have for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.