Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Played this afternoon:
    [​IMG]
    Stanley Turrentine, Salt Song

I've already set aside one CD for tomorrow to listen on my way to work.
    One by Stan Getz that will take me out of this CTI island.
    It has been building up in my mind, but one needs to be in a certain mood to play it. It's a big wave of sounds and to enjoy it you have to be ready to ride it
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, Xelfo, mktracy and 4 others like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Freddie Hubbard "Without a Song--Live in Europe 1969" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

[​IMG]

bluemooze, mktracy, rxcory and 3 others like this.
  3. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Wind, rain, Tristano, Wayne Marsh and Lee Konitz... thanks Mosaic,
    thanks Atlantic. Marvelous stuff with pristine recordings.

disc two

[​IMG]

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio Live At KEXP (Colemine)

I can't stop playing this lp I picked up on RSD. I'm digging his John Patton cover of Memphis and the originals on the six track album are very good too. I'm looking forward to hearing their studio release which should land on my doorstep tomorrow.

blutiga and MagicAlex like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

6. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Every time I see a house with lions I think of Rhasan.

NP Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Close But No Cigar (Colemine)

Thought this was going to arrive tomorrow but it showed up just before I left the house to hear some jazz at my usual at Luna's for Nebraska Mondays. It was a short show tonight so I had time to spin this before bedtime.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

Jimi Hendrix - Both Sides Of The Sky

2018 Experience Hendrix 19075830261; Barnes & Noble purple vinyl

Mastered by Bernie Grundman and pressed at QRP :love:

A nice breezy Pacific Northwest spring night - just the right time to open and play this one. First spin, very impressed at the sound quality.
    Paired with milk & Oreos :cheers:

[​IMG]

bluemooze, JeffMo, Jim Walker and 7 others like this.
  9. Yesternow

600 days today since it started. Great jazz and conversation, almost 900 pages.
    This is The thread.

Congratulations

bluemooze, JeffMo, xybert and 9 others like this.
  10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes, this is my jazz conversation home. Thanks to all who are talking!

JeffMo, Mugrug12, mcwlod and 12 others like this.
  11. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Billy Harper Somalia

bluemooze, markp, mktracy and 2 others like this.
  12. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Billy Harper Soul of an Angel

bluemooze, markp, mktracy and 2 others like this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Paul Desmond - First Place Again (WB) gold, DG, stereo pressing

Jim Hall + Paul Desmond = Sublime.

bluemooze, vanhooserd, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Walt Dickerson - Jazz Impressions of Lawrence Of Arabia (Dauntless) red mono label

15. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

16. Yesternow

Stan Getz, FOCUS, 1961

This is much more than a "jazz with strings" album. The orchestra doesn't sit back providing a background to the solo artist. This time you have a duet: orchestra and Stan Getz.

The compositions are amazing. It would work as a classical concert alone.
    Actually it looks like they recorded it that way - first the orchestra and then Stan improvising on top. One of the reasons was that his mother passed away and he couldn't be there.

The sound will fill your entire house. How did they managed to achieve that production quality in 1961?!

First time I played it, the drumming on the first track really caught my attention. Wait a minute ! An orchestra session drummer this good ?! Checked the credits: Roy Haynes.

Maybe you're like I was some years ago - no strings, big band, orchestra... allowed in my jazz. But check this one. For me it's a mandatory music CD.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, markp, Xelfo and 10 others like this.
  17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

The past couple of weeks have been fruitful for marking off things that have been on my discogs' wantlist for a while... just played this one that I got a nice sounding copy of a few weeks ago:

The Curtis Counce Group - Vol. 1: "Landslide" (Contemporary S7526, LP)

[​IMG]

Also from the wantlist, got a nice OJC LP copy of Leroy Walks! (Leroy Vinnegar) and a sealed original pressing of Big Fun (Miles). The second disc of Big Fun was pretty warped, but a run through the flattener at the record shop in town fixed her right up, both discs now play good as new and nearly flawless (there’s one pop near the start of the quiet section of “Ife”), absolute bliss. I believe, were I try to pick a favorite Miles album, that Big Fun would be it. I’ve always loved the Complete Bitches Brew box, but kinda loved the extra material in the non-BB tracks with a bit of extra little sumpin’ sumpin’.

@Stu02, a while back you had asked @Lonson if he felt the entire Miles Bootleg Series was worthwhile (excuse my paraphrasing if it is not quite accurate) or if just Vols. 2 & 3 were the main interests, I’d have to agree with Lon and say that I have found the whole series to be great. In the Miles phase I’ve been in for the last several weeks I’ve really been spending a lot of time with it, I even decided to get the Freedom Jazz Dance set, which I have stated here in the past I wasn’t going to do and have listened to several of the session reels several times already (originally I wasn’t going to get it because I thought I’d probably just listen to the reels once and not revisit again). I really like the Newport installment, particularly the later set with the Henderson, Cosey, et al band.

18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I know you aren’t crazy for 45s but this one is well worth some extra standing up and sitting down (was my first MM purchase)! (Referring to Pete La Roca’s Bosra).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    Six String, rxcory and Stu02 like this.
  19. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

RIP Bob Dorough[​IMG]

bluemooze, garymc, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  20. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Leroy is such a core part of that wonderful west coast sound. Good score.
    And yeah Lonson has been tipping the miles bootleg series onto the purchase side of the ledger so your comments likely seal the deal. Damn you all frankly. Teaming up is simply unfair - my wallet has no chance.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73, Lonson and dzhason like this.
  21. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I have his first album "Devil My Care" (fantastic album) from 1957 and the newest I have is "Too much coffee man" from 2000. And his vocal on Miles Davis's "Blue Xmas" makes it one of my favorite Christmas songs.

I saw Bob in a small jazz club near Union Square (New York City) in 1994 or 1995. Fantastic show. And he was the nicest, down to earth guy. Hung around with the audience between sets and after the show. I had a long conversation with him about our common connections to Lubbock, Texas (he grew up in West Texas).

Bob was something special.

Lonson, rxcory, Tribute and 1 other person like this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

My little contribution to the world of records was that I encouraged, and was successful, in getting Blossom Dearie and Bob Dorough to perform and record duets together

Bob Dorough and Blossom Dearie, RIP

bluemooze, rl1856, Jazzmonkie and 6 others like this.
  23. Yesternow

National holiday in Portugal today.
    Played this one in the morning for a slow and peaceful start:

Hubert Laws, Morning Star, 1972
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, Six String and rxcory like this.
  24. NaiveMelody

NaiveMelody Forum Resident

25. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Turned into a Coltrane morning with....

Live At Birdland
    A Love Supreme
    Ole
    NP Red Garland-Soul Junction

Speaking of Red,I've wanted to explore his albums more. Any favorites or suggestions? I have original copies of All Kinds Of Weather and Red Garland's Piano,that's it along with the OJC Soul Junction. Sound wise are the 80's OJC's a good bang for the buck buy or worth it to go with some of the newer AP's at $35 ?