Avengers: Infinity War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This movie is just too much of a product push mainly toys and video game..
    Toys aren't selling as well as they did even 10 yrs ago..
    I go down toy aisles racks full of unsold toys..
    And all end up in clearence section by the end of year..
    Sure some adults by them .. but not enough kids do.. or want too..
    Thanos they fracked up looks like giant "pickle".. in the comic books
    he's gray colored with helmet of sorts.. and thick brow..
    a little like darkseid..

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Hey, if you can't laugh about the impending doom of half the human race, what can you laugh about?

vince likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"THANK YOU!!"

4. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I will be seeing this, but if it ends up like THOR:RAGNAROK in terms of being too comedic for it's own good, then then I might not bother with any more of these Marvel films.

Nothing wrong with humor in these movies, and I'm not asking for a grim dark tone like Logan or the Snyder DC movies, but my greatest fear for this movie coming out of Ragnarok was that Marvel was going to look at the big numbers for it and thus they were going to start striking that tone for all of their movies going forward. If I were marvel I would be careful with pushing this direction too hard. DC Learned that lesson the hard way with pushing too hard in the dark direction and it nearly killed their cinematic ambitions.

If Marvel movies start building a reputation of being mindless inaine fluff, people will stop giving them the benefit of the doubt and thus stop turning up in droves. They need to look at more movies like Black Panther and Winter Soldier. Those movies were just the right blend of story, action, drama and humor. Hopefully this one follows suit.

neo123 likes this.
  5. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

6. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I do not think this is a fear, since Black Panther set box office records with a serious tone. Marvel will continue to have different kinds of films with different tones. I do not expect this one to have humor like Ragnarok, except when the more comedic characters are on screen (Guardians). It will have moments of levity, as all Marvel films do.

vince likes this.
  7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Ragnarok was especially heavy on the comedy, but I think that was an attempt to manage the fact that the plot of the movie is basically The End of Asgard, and with a story that heavy, you've either got to intentionally lighten it up or play it really, really dark. Frankly, I can hardly remember anything about The Dark World, but I do think it was very, very serious and I didn't like it very much.

That said, Ragnarok was halfway to being a Monty Python style parody of Marvel movies, so they may have fallen off the other side on that one.

David Campbell likes this.
  8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I don’t think they are going in a comedy direction, after all Black Panther was pretty serious. Infinity War looks to be outright grim, so I’m guessing the humorous approach in Thor was at least partly to avoid having a run of darker films in a row.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tony Stark, big head.
    Thor still with unflattering eyepatch.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

based on reviews - humour early, turning very dark at the end

Avengers: Infinity War

5th-beatle likes this.
  11. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. The reviews are mostly positive, adding that Thanos is an excellent villain. It's also interesting to note that they say the ending is the best one of all Marvel films so far (but there are no spoilers revealing what's so great about it), so now I'm very curious.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Saw it, loved it, thought it was in some ways the best Marvel film I've seen maybe all the way back to Iron Man and the first Avengers film. But I can say no more...

[​IMG]

All I can say is that there are some enormous surprises and "WTF" moments that will send serious Marvel fans reeling. And yet there's also some very funny one-liners that keep things going at a fast pace. Big surprise for me was Dr. Strange, who has some very important key moments.

Stormrider77, Walt, alexpop and 9 others like this.
  13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

You don't want Iron Man to come a-knockin'...

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I'm out of thIs thread till Sunday, don't want spoilers to spoil my enjoyment.

Billy Infinity, BeatleJWOL and Vidiot like this.
  15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

16. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

The review embargo lifted. It currently sits at 86% on Rotten Tomatoes. The consensus reads:

"Avengers: Infinity War ably juggles a dizzying array of MCU heroes in the fight against their gravest threat yet, and the result is a thrilling, emotionally resonant blockbuster that (mostly) realizes its gargantuan ambitions."

I'm pretty excited and definitely intrigued by all the buzz about the amazing ending. I'm out of the thread until I see it too.

17. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I saw Infinity War this morning. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I won't post any spoilers right now but I will say that while there are comedic moments in the film, it's definitely not on the level of Thor Ragnarok, so I think you'll be just fine. The Russo Brothers have delivered another knockout of a film - and Thanos was easily the star of this film too. By far one of the best villains in the MCU thus far if not the best villain already. Some are already putting him up there with Heath Ledger's Joker even. I can certainly agree with that too. He had his own motivations for why he's doing what he's doing rather than your typical run of the mill villain which is why he was so darn good.

Film hit the ground running and the character interactions too were fabulous. I already have my theory for how the next Avengers film is going to end so who knows... ;)

9/10 for me. Can't wait to see this again. Way way better than Age of Ultron! :)

Simon A and David Campbell like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Oscar nom for Josh Brolin?

:pineapple:

FVDnz likes this.
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Don't answer this if it's a spoiler, but it seems to me that this was going to be a two-part movie but now it's just a one part? I seem to remember that once there was supposed to be "Infinity War Part 1" and then "Infinity War Part 2" a couple years later.

20. vince

Two 'non-spoiler' questions:
    All those 'stars' didn't make the movie too 'busy'?
    I gotta wait 'till next month to see it, when my mom comes to visit, so.....
    when's the best time to take a pee?

21. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Think of Infinity War as an MCU Empire Strikes Back if you will. The next film will definitely pick up from where this movie left off so bring on May 2019. Can't wait! :)

Simon A and dkmonroe like this.
  22. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Good to hear. Unfortunately I think I got partially spoiled on the ending on facebook thanks to an asshat,but if I'm right and based on your recommend I think I'm still gonna have a blast.

It's good to see the MCU winning streak is back. I found Civil War slightly underwhelming,Guardians 2 was good,Spiderman homecoming just OK and I was gravely disappointed with Ragnarok but I found myself really loving Black Panther.

FVDnz likes this.
  23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They decided to give the two parts different titles. The second movie will be out next year.

dkmonroe likes this.
  24. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

What if there's seven Infinity Stones, and the 7th one is licensed to a DC character? Yeah, Thanos, now you're gonna have to deal with a 372 page licensing agreement drafted by a Beverly Hills attorney. Let's see how tough you really are.

DLeet, Dudley Morris and Lownote30 like this.
  25. vince

Now, THAT'S a MOVIE!!!
    Let's see Thanos take on the 'Hollywood lawyers'!!!
    ....hmmm, who to root for.......

Dudley Morris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.