New Neil Young Archives release: Roxy 1973

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Probably the selected tracks for the Blue Note Cafe release aren't the best, in my opinion. Sometimes the choice is more casual. Sometimes the choice is just a chronological reason.

2. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i have a theory that the reason they didn't use the august 27th take of ordinary people (the best version of his song, ever) is because neil yells "the donald trump people, yeah!"

3. Heart of Gold

Honestly from a wide array of dates for the same tour I prefer a complete concert to the few Neil' s selections, which can depend from the listening mood of the day or chronological reasons or whatever. In the Bluenote Cafe it's also evident for my ears that the tracks come from different shows and sources.

warewolf95 and purple-lazy like this.
  4. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

Didn’t realize they edited out songs. That explains the “old song” comment he makes. That’s kind of disappointing considering side 4 of the vinyl is empty.

A RSD release that included a couple of extra tracks, not on the “regular” tracklisting would have been a cool bonus.

Hopefully the other songs get released some day.

Pawnmower and warewolf95 like this.
  5. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

I'm with you on this.
    It's not a matter of being critical of what they gave us. I'm thrilled with it. But if you're going to be copy and pasting, and there's room on side D, may as well be a bit more completist.

6. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I thank Record Store Day for not doing that.

warewolf95, qtrules, todd141 and 2 others like this.
  7. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

Exactly. I enjoy the material that we got, but there's no reason to cripple the release, especially for songs that have not otherwise seen wide release.

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

Very satisfying. With this and Hitchhiker my Neil Young love is in spring bloom again.

9. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Heck of a release. That stretch of Speakin' Out, Albuquerque, and New Mama is just astounding. The interplay between the band members is perfect- a good balance of chops and restraint.

I can't help but wonder what this release and Hitchhiker would have been like if released together in Archives 2 somewhat shortly after #1 came out. Add in TFA 2, Homegrown, Dume, Chrome Dreams, and whatever else and it blows the mind how good that box would be. I feel like Roxy and Hitchhiker came out with so little fanfare they will never get their just due.

10. Heart of Gold

I think that they 're confident to have enough material for separate releases and an independent boxset release. It seems to me a good choice also from the economic point of view.

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

As long as I have my copies, I'm more than satisfied.

12. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

It is mind blowing to consider what the full collection of Neil Young 70s officially released output will look like when all is said and done. I mean, it was astounding even before Cellar Door, Massey Hall, Fillmore East, Roxy 73 and Hitchhiker. Still waiting for Early Daze, TFA II, Dume, Oceanside Countryside, Odeon Budokan, Homegrown....

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm watching my Blu-ray of Journeys, next up the DVD of Year Of The Horse, then my Blu-ray of Rust Never Sleeps. I've also bookmarked the You Tube presentation of Berlin, thanks to another SH.tv member.
    This release has inspired me to appreciate all the Neil I have.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. Heart of Gold

Hitchhiker is nr. 5. What is the nr.2? Mediterranean?

15. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

Both great choices, but the best concerts Neil ever gave were on his acoustic tour in '71. Dorothy Chandler Pavilion and Massey Hall being the two best I've heard. Truly his peak vocally and the finger pickin' was great too.

But on topic, this Roxy release is sweet indeed...
    NYF

16. Heart of Gold

I love The Cellar Door too.

17. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Does anyone know if there is a soundboard recording made from 1973/01/21 Carnegie Hall with The Stray Gators. I have listened to a recording on YouTube and it sounds like a nice gig.

warewolf95 likes this.
  18. Heart of Gold

I think that it doesn't exist.

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

I don’t know how these things work these days with Bootlegs but I can stream the Bottom Line show via my Amazon Unlimited. I assume there is a loophole if it was broadcast? There is a lot of similar unofficial recordings on Amazon.

I would love a better sounding version of this show as the set list is staggering.

warewolf95 and Syscrusher like this.
  20. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Forum Resident

Yeah that’s not an official release by any means. I’m not sure how that works, I was kind of shocked to see it on amazon, to be honest.

I downloaded the bootleg several years ago. It’s great but could definitely need a little clean up.

The honey slider recipe is classic young.
    As is his story about why he doesn’t play Southern Man. The crowd seems somewhat bored with the material. which I find just great.

The “ditch years” are my favorite period, so any recordings involving those albums are on my must list.

21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

plus the visitor!

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

technically he has never released a complete concert. all of the PSA releases have been edited together from different shows, nights, etc. but i will agree that bluenote cafe is the one with the most audible differences.

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

And it’s amazing. I love Bluenote Café.

24. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Some of the Bluenote Cafe recordings were multitracks mixed in 1988 for the original aborted live album, others multitracks mixed in recent years or raw soundboards that had been given a lick of paint during mastering.

I think he tried to present the best compromise of recordings/performances whilst including a few standout performances that weren't in the best quality (e.g Crime In The City). A sort of "Directors Cut" of the original album.

For many years Bluenote Cafe was considered to be a Holy Grail live album, and I don't think it disappoints. The only weakness is the running order with too many similar songs occupying the middle section of disc 1. Though in fairness it must have been a challenge to sequence an album with so many tracks.

The idea of releasing a full show is nice in theory, but in reality the best performances and recordings are often spread over a variety of gigs. So I tend to prefer the curated version and enjoy the full gigs via bootlegs.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  25. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

The "tell me more" verse of "Tired Eyes" is just gut-wrenching here. Arguably my favorite moment on the whole release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.