50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..not really much to do in terms of a 'deluxe" package...I highly doubt we'd get outtakes of any of the songs in this context. If anything, A nice set including lALL the songs, plus the Martin soundtrack would be nice.

tinnox and A well respected man like this.
  2. JBassNut

JBassNut Forum Resident

I don't think it will be over once us "older" fans die off. I have hope that The Beatles music will live on in the younger generations. My daughter is graduating high school and it makes me smile that she and all her friends actually know and love The Beatles. Now my girl has been exposed to them her whole life thanks to being around me, but her enthusiasm really took off when "Love" came out. It is exciting to listen too. I think my OMG Beatle moment was when I first listened to the White Album. This is why I think Apple should embrace anniversaries and special mixes. I know it is heresy to even say remixing is okay, but I feel the same as Macca does. If you don't like the remixes, fine. Put on your vinyl. Whatever it takes to keep the music fresh for each generation is great. Just keep the original catalog available so that the future generations can hear and see where it came from.

3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I love the idea of remixes for the simple fact that I want my favorite music to sound as good as it can possibly sound; in that sense, a remaster can only go so far while a tasteful remix takes it to a whole other level. That said, the other night I put on one of my many original-mix Sgt. Pepper LP's; listening to nothing *but* the remixed version on and off for the last few months, I actually found myself thinking (of the original)how I'd forgotten how good this really does sound given the time period and 4-track limitations.

tinnox, kevintee and JBassNut like this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

In my opinion, Apple has placed emphasis on questionable projects: Remixed 1, Hollywood Bowl reissue and Ron Howard movie, Naked. etc. To focus squarely on Sgt. Pepper and ignore Rubber Soul and Revolver, which are better albums is puzzling. It’s not surprising, considering it took them 22 years to have the Beatles catalog remastered. Apple moves on a weird timetable. The fans are clamoring for this stuff and they just ignore it.

gja586, supermd, DK Pete and 4 others like this.
  5. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

Regarding Shea and Let It Be not seeing the light of day, you can’t discount the possibility that Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia do not want them to come out. They may not see it as a lost opportunity.

tinnox likes this.
  6. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Oh yeah, I totally hear you on that. Apple or whoever the Beatle-powers-that-be is in any given post-1960s decade seem to have a preference for not wanting to give fans what they want and not wanting to just take the money in terms of an audio-only quality product. What has also been omitted is not just the essential DVDs you mentioned, but before DVDs even existed, they just threw money away when they abandoned the whole Sessions album. All that time and effort into assembling a full LP of unreleased Beatle tunes just to have nothing (official) come from it. And just a few years after that, the CD era was happening, and Beatle CDs were selling left and right. A full LP (by which I mean "CD") of "unreleased" Beatle songs would have been a barn-burner back then, 10+ million physical copies. I'm not even kidding, this would have been huge if they had done it. A whole generation of 1970s kids could have been checking out a "new" Beatles album during the CD era if they had marketed it even modestly. And what happened? Just the same old "nope." A big nothingburger. Maybe they just didn't care. I have no idea why they make the decisions they do. We were lucky to get Anthology when you really think about it, I'm glad there was that at least and it sounded great. I'm hoping the impressive Sgt Pepper Deluxe Box reaction (#1 on Amazon sales before the thing was even released) will spur Apple (or whoever it is, I don't even care at this point) to do something. After all, if they don't, they are just throwing money away.

PIGGIES and tinnox like this.
  7. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

[​IMG]

jlf, supermd, petem1966 and 2 others like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

This.

tinnox likes this.
  9. JBassNut

JBassNut Forum Resident

I just remembered that in 1993 they put out a 20th Anniversary CD Maxi single of Love Me Do. I was surprised they didn't put out a 20th Anniversary set of the Anthology. I guess they are saving it for the 25th.:winkgrin:

Crimson Witch and tinnox like this.
  10. alexpop

Apple don't have to make the same big deal as the did with the 50th Pepper Anniversary, they just to put out the 50th Anniversary White Album with expanded content, nice packaging ..it'll sell, no probs.

Sean Murdock and tinnox like this.
  11. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Besides potentially good sales figures, the Pepper 50 reissue also got Apple & The Beatles a lot of favorable media time and put the band into the spotlight for number of weeks. This is exactly what Apple needs as it seeks to bring more casual customers to explore the band’s music on various streaming services. While the project may be album specific, it helps the brand as a whole.

Not to forget, Pepper 50 got The Beatles another #1 on the UK charts and strong showing on Billboard as well. This must’ve most pleased the Apple stakeholders and that could likely swing them towards approving WA 50th this year. The WA also always been a favorite with the critics and has good appeal to target casual listeners IMO.

It’s now up to Jeff Jones to make this happen, let’s hope he does. If I had to put a bet, I think Apple will deliver this one in Fall. Fingers crossed!

12. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

i'm still alive and i don't care about take 18 of GMMV, in fake duo-sound mono.

tinnox likes this.
  13. alexpop

Yes it's frustrating, for sure.
    But..I can't believe 50th Anniversary Pepper was a one off.

tinnox likes this.
  14. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Did anyone think of any possible 50th anniversary releases before the Peppers 50th?
    March 22, 2013 was the 50th anniversary of Please Please Me, at that time Apple/BeatlesInc were in the middle of the stereo/mono LP/CD box set releases of 2009, 2012 and 2014.
    Maybe they concluded that the box sets would move more merchandise than a yearly 50thAnn throughout the decade that might get old to the general public after the first few releases.
    Sgt Peppers got the 50th treatment because of it's historical significance and music/sound groundbreaking achievements and they think that is enough.

tinnox likes this.
  15. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

good question... i went to see Let it Be in my late teens? A Hard Day's Night on the big screen in my early 20s (now mid 50s).
    Also, Imagine: John Lennon when that was released as well as Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years.

Not sure if i will go see Yellow Submarine? Music is great... and trippy for sure, but don't know, maybe? :cool:

tinnox likes this.
  16. alexpop

Think prior to 50th Anniversary Pepper the first Beatles album to get a Anniversary was The Beatles White Album 30th Anniversary, so somebody thinks it's doable.

tinnox likes this.
  17. alexpop

Strange so much love for Sgt Pepper after the anniversary came out, as it was mostly frowned upon since the nineties.

Sean Murdock and tinnox like this.
  18. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

......or after the success of the Peppers 50th in hindsight Apple/BeatlesInc realize they blew it and should have done a yearly 50th for all their albums, it all comes down to what will sell the most today and stoke fan appreciation in the future, so with that in mind I do believe that we are in for a big blitz for the Yellow Submarine movie.

Sean Murdock, OobuJoobu and tinnox like this.
  19. alexpop

I would have thought at least a 50th Anniversary of REVOLVER, this was the Brit pop darling in the nineties. College kids favorite..cool album cover etc

Sean Murdock, ohnothimagen and tinnox like this.
  20. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member Thread Starter

I feel Apple/Beatles are not taking advantage of not doing 50th box sets for their LPs because there is a market for them with this fan base IMO.

alexpop likes this.
  21. Ern

Ern Senior Member

No way, Apple is going to pass on a White Album 50th Anniversary release!

Don't forget that Hey Jude / Revolution, is one of the most successful and loved single release by The Beatles, which will help to sell the deluxe set, without a doubt, like they did with the Sgt. Pepper's release, with the addition of Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane.

I have no doubts that we'll get a deluxe White Album!

22. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member Thread Starter

It would be foolish not too

23. alexpop

APPLE/family ..
    Obviously don't need the money, heritage more precious. Shame for fans who want expanded box sets!!!!!!

tinnox likes this.
  24. alexpop

Logic would say your right.

tinnox likes this.
  25. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I'm not so sure that Apple/BeatlesInc gauge big commercial success with our opinions here, I think they are thinking "those guys will buy anything with The Beatles logo on it, we want the mass market" like in the old days.

tinnox likes this.