Toshiba Releases "High-Res" Cassette Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sunspot42, Mar 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Fantastic! I look forward to add it to my collection of boomboxes and tape decks, I guess after a couple of months in the market I could pick one for 20 or so.

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I don't follow. What was wrong with HD-DVD besides it being the loser of a format war?

Waymore Lonesome and anorak2 like this.
  3. Uglyversal

Give me the pops and clicks anytime over the result of that.

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I suppose you have no problem with using Dolby S on cassette tapes?

5. Uglyversal

Completely incomparable as Dolby introduced a change during the recording that then was reversed during playback. While what you suggest is just squashing any peaks (click, pops and music) it sees in the already recorded track with no previous compensation for that change. I never had Dolby S myself, I had C but did not use it.

I personally avoid the use of any artefact or software that instead of correctly reproducing the sound that's being provided attempts to change it into something the creator of that artefact or software "thinks" is better than the original sound.

6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I agree with your statement -- in the form of a question -- completely. But the key phrase is "besides it being a loser . . .". That is what HD-DVD shares in common with cassette -- for different reasons and at a different times, both were losers in format wars. Cassette and 8-track were eventually replaced by CD -- a superior medium.

Why is Toshiba investing R&D in an tape format -- esp. in the digital age? I had both reel-to-reel and 8-track, and my friends in high school & early college had cassette. Tape is a non-durable medium. It is easy to tear, etc.

[​IMG]

RIAA data showing the trend for all media types since 1973.

snowman872 likes this.
  7. Uglyversal

Sorry but are you equating a video format that lasted just about a year before ended up in the bargain bin with two highly popular and successful tape systems that were produced for decades? Compact cassettes started before the 70's and were still widely in use in the mid 90's, that is about 30 years, not bad for what you are calling a loser format. CD are roughly that old and sales have been lagging for years already...

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    vwestlife likes this.
  8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

This is the deck that I saw:

9. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

That player is straight garbage. The hipsters must LOVE IT!

sunspot42 likes this.
  10. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Not sure the hipsters would love it, actually: firstly because AFAIK hipsters want retro which would mean something old rather than new and secondly, because cassette is probably already too mainstream again now :D

Michael Rose likes this.
  11. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

hi res cassette? ok.

it may be, but how many of us will downgrade to a cassette player, after its demise a long time ago. i have cassettes in a box in the basement, but have all of them transferred to cd, and keep them packed up.
    no need for them. releasing this seems like a money grab for unsuspecting people who dont know any better.
    i remember throwing cassettes on the floor when done with em, they are tough, and can be beat up like my old box of trusty 8tracks. take a licking and keep on tockin'

on the bright side, they wont get scratches, fingerprints, scuffs, and there will be no issues with importing .

good with the bad

12. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

13. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

14. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

The most striking thing of that chart to me is how fast most formats died. Folks dumped 8-tracks, cassettes and records FAST. The mighty and awesome CD in comparison is not giving up the ghost so easily. :thumbsup:

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    if the format crumbles within weeks of launch can be quickly recycled into a tape "dispenser"

nosliw likes this.
  16. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I did not equate them. I stressed differences between the two when I wrote the phrase "for different reasons and at a different times."

I made a single point of comparison -- HD-DVD and cassette are both obsolete formats, therefore I see no reason for Toshiba to "bring back" a dated technology, no matter how wonderful it was in the past.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. Uglyversal

I agree with you that it just seems pointless to work in that direction. There is no shortage of great quality tape decks around if you really wanted to use cassettes and I have no doubt those 1980's monsters will sound better than whatever they are trying to make now as a cash grab. But while yes it is obsolete cassettes were kings for a very long time, so many products have come and go during their reign that I consider them highly successful products like VHS.

anorak2 and townsend like this.
  18. Uglyversal

I am getting one of those right now!!! Shame I can't find the colour.

19. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Yes, but if you have any interest beyond looks, even if just for knowledge sake, I encourage you to do some research on this deck.

20. Solitaire1

When I get a chance I will check into it. I've heard that its supposed to be a great deck but I've haven't looked into it.

21. Solitaire1

Just checked out some information on the Nakamichi Dragon and now I see why is is such a well-regarded tape deck. It seems like its performance would rival its contemporary reel-to-reel decks.

56GoldTop likes this.
  22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It did, but in part because consumer reel-to-reel decks had largely ceased evolving several years before. If they'd broadly gotten innovations like HX Pro, metal tape and Dolby C, their performance would have also improved considerably. Of course, so would the cost of the decks and their tape...

23. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Nak Dragon and Nak CR-7E are THE cassette decks to have- both legendary and very good sounding.

24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Are we gonna to see a whole new generation of full-function cassette decks? Dolby HX Pro?

25. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have both Dragon and CR-7A but both need to be serviced ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.