Kinks Vinyl Reissues Discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marigoldilemma, Dec 3, 2014.

1. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I think it's unlikely (possible, or course, but unlikely) the analog LP masters were used to cut the EPs. The EPs don't follow the track sequences as assembled for the master tapes, and I doubt they had the individual track reels available to splice up a new tape for cutting. Kevin Gray assembled the songs for the "Black Album" compilation digitally, and I bet the same was done for lacquer cutting on the 7" EPs.

marmil and CheshireCat like this.
  2. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I don’t remember where I read it, but IIRC Andrew Sandoval confirmed somewhere that the analog tapes originally used for the 7” singles were used to cut the EPs.

cwitt1980, marmil and CheshireCat like this.
  3. googlymoogly

Perhaps they had access to the spliced tapes originally assembled to cut the EPs back in the '60s. Were all of the EPs cut that way?

4. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Going by my memory when Andrew talked about using the single masters for the EPS, he said that the EP masters were tape copies of the single masters and he wanted to use the purest sources possible.

5. googlymoogly

I wonder if they just found doing something like that too cumbersome to compile the "Black Album", or they didn't have all the mixdown masters for each song.

6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

My guess is that a mixdown/master tape was prepared for the original vinyl release to be cut from and that has since been lost. They likely didn't want to go through a similar process (producing an analog master) so they just used digital files likely made from the analog masters of the tracks' respective albums. I also suspect new high-res digital masters were made from the tapes throughout the whole process.

CheshireCat and googlymoogly like this.
  7. googlymoogly

Yes, it was probably too time-consuming to assemble new reels for a compilation album like that (even if they had access to the mixdown tapes for all the songs on the "Black Album"). Sounds good, anyway.

CheshireCat likes this.
  8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Not to start the who debate about analog vs digital masters for vinyl pressings, I've always believed that it's all in the mastering engineer's hands. I've heard plenty of analog-sourced vinyl that has been bested by later reissues cut from high-res digital files. Heck, the original Robert Ludwig cut pressing of Rush's Moving Pictures is one of the best sounding releases in my collection, and that was cut from a redbook digital master!

9. googlymoogly

One thing that digital really holds complete superiority over analog is the ability to edit in the box!

10. stever

stever Senior Member

Could someone point me to Kevin Gray's, Face to Face mono reissue on Amazon? Thanks.

11. I think it’s just in the box set.

12. googlymoogly

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    CheshireCat likes this.
  13. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

No they came out here in US as you probably remember with black stickers on them. The first four only.​

Stone Turntable likes this.
  14. Right. Forgot that only the first four came out.

15. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

And in EU in coloured lps

CheshireCat likes this.
  16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Those are digital cuts

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Different label, different reissue company. Andrew stated he had nothing to do with that so it definitely isn't really part of the other reissues that include the early Pye and RCA titles.

I agree, it seems absolutely silly that Lola isn't an album a casual consumer should be able to buy easily. But as per the usual Kinks reissue campaigns go, they don't release the albums people really want at first so they shoot themselves in the foot and sales aren't great.

CheshireCat likes this.
  18. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

The red colored ones that were released after the black digital ones are the same cut as the analog us monos.

Rekkerds, aoxomoxoa and chacha like this.
  19. chacha

The most confusing re release program there is.

20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Sorry for the misinformation then

scotth likes this.
  21. chacha

I’m playing an original UK Lola I just found to replace my copy which I lost 30 years ago. What’s interesting is that it’s pitched higher than the US. Anyone else notice that? I’m not quite sure if it’s compression or tape speed. I think the US is probably more accurate but this UK really moves.

Rekkerds and CheshireCat like this.
  22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Haven't even spotted one in decent enough shape to risk money.

CheshireCat likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Different label amd it's Friday Music so avoid as KG probably got crappy remastered files from Joe.

24. Classicrock

That reminds me to sell these now I have the mono box set.

25. Classicrock

Replace confusing with incompetent. However much of the stuff that has come out has been very good, even some of digital sourced titles.