Rank Richard Ashcroft's solo albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maggie, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show Thread Starter

I spent a few minutes today compiling a roughly hour-long playlist out of my favorite Richard Ashcroft tracks.

Ashcroft is a guy whose career has been a source of continual frustration for me. I love the Verve in all their original phases (i.e., not Forth) and there was no reason Richard shouldn't have been able to deliver solo albums that approach the tasteful emotional urgency and craft of his sole-credit songs on Urban Hymns. He is a talented guy blessed with the ability to convey passion and sincerity through his singing and also capable of mixing catchy tunes and self-examination.

But, for me, his solo albums have for the most part been self-indulgent, sententious, and sometimes silly. In reaching that conclusion, I have paralleled the critical consensus -- with one major exception: I happen to really enjoy the United Nations of Sound album, which most of Richard's fans even consider terrible, perhaps due to the hip-hop and contemporary r&b influences that I think give it some vibrancy. I also think it contains some of Richard's most passionate singing and most indelible hooks, though I have to admit "Beatitudes" is arguably the worst thing he has ever put his name to.

Anyway, let's rank the albums, 1-5. For those who need a reminder:

* Alone with Everybody (2000): solo debut, released soon after the second Verve breakup, mostly consisting of songs Richard wrote and demoed with the Verve minus Nick McCabe before the Urban Hymns sessions. It got good reviews, but I always considered it a disappointment -- some/most of the songs are good, but the production is incredibly overblown in an effort to turn every single track into the next "Bitter Sweet Symphony." Pete Salisbury and B.J. Cole are the most prominent guest musicians, reinforcing the connection to the last days of the Verve.

* Human Conditions (2002): I believe this was all new songs, largely inspired by Richard becoming a father. The songwriting is less consistent, but there are a few very memorable and moving tracks ("Buy It in Bottles," "God in the Numbers," the Dennis Wilson-inspired "Nature is the Law"). The production is slightly more restrained and gritty this time, with more of Richard's lead electric guitar, but still pretty overblown and undynamic, and "Check the Meaning" goes on forever.

* Keys to the World (2006): the production is still more restrained, but the songwriting has really hit a wall and many of the lyrics are embarassing. Richard moves decisively toward a kind of "adult contemporary" sound and away from the slightly psychedelic qualities of his earlier records. I struggle to identify a highlight, besides the bleak single "Break the Night with Color."

* United Nations of Sound (2010): see above. Most people hate this, but my main complaint about Forth was that Richard sounded like he was desparate to be anywhere else. He sounds completely into what he's doing here. Excellent wah-wah guitar from Steve Wyreman too.

* These People (2016): hailed by some as a comeback, although some other fans have a problem with the electronic club beats featured on some of the songs (something Richard has been exploring in a more subtle way since the start of his solo career). A more restrained production than his first two albums, but only about half the songs click with me.

2. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

I am a massive Ashcroft fan...Alone With Everybody is my #1...both Human and Keys have essential, defining tracks as well.

PhantomStranger and Maggie like this.
  3. Maggie

Anyone else listening to Richard Ashcroft? My rankings --

1. United Nations of Sound
    2&3. Alone with Everybody & Human Conditions (tied)
    4. These People
    (a distant) 5. Keys to the World

4. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Only a fan of the 1st 2 albums.

heliocentric likes this.
  5. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

These CDs were available in the cutout bins, I bought them one at a time and enjoyed them but havn't listened in years! Time to buy a couple more.

6. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I'm glad that 'These People' didn't turn out to be an Alf Garnett-esque rant

7. ServingTheMusic

It should be noted how great he is live...transcendent...and I will say from personal experience that
    songs from These People translate well on stage..

Maggie likes this.
  8. Maggie

:agree: My copy of Keys is a cutout, and I remember seeing the original UK release of the United Nations of Sound album in the bins as well -- though by then I already had the (long-delayed) US release with an extra track.

9. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I saw him open for Liam Gallagher playing just an acoustic the other night in Philly. The man sounds as good as he did during the Urban Hymns days. Wow!

10. ServingTheMusic

Lucky you!!!

905 likes this.
  11. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

I’ve been listening a lot of RA lately, in preparation and “doing my homework” for the Toronto show with LG. Been re-enjoying all of his album; I love them all. “alone with everybody” is up there in my all time most played albums, “New York” being I think one of his best songs ever.

12. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Big fan of Alone With Everybody (the B-sides from this era are also worth tracking down as most of them, i think are as good as the tracks that made the album).

Other than the odd song off the following albums (particularly the title track from Human Condition), I've found the rest of his solo material very disappointing.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  13. ServingTheMusic

A big 2nd vote for those B-Sides..

Gavaxeman likes this.
  14. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Here is the original The Verve demo from 1996.

James Bennett likes this.
  15. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Based on a number of tracks which are in my Ashcroft playlist:

1) Keys to the World
    2) Alone With Everybody
    3) Human Conditions
    4) These People
    *I have never heard UNofS

Ashcroft has one of the best voices in history of rock music IMO, still has this delivery.
    But without Nick McCabe and Co by his side he can not find a perfect balance. His recent album was disappointment, lazy and boring arrangements, all songs the same.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  16. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

These People
    Human Conditions
    Keys To The World
    United Nations Of Sound
    Alone With Everybody (I’m sure this would be higher in the ranks if I actually listened to it more than once)

17. Robert Langowski

Robert Langowski New Member

You couldn't be more wrong one of the best solo artists in British music coming from top of the ra ge pedigree.

18. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Maggie likes this.
  19. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

New ranking goes:

These People
    Human Conditions
    Natural Rebel
    Alone Woth Everybody
    Keys To The World
    United Nations Of Sound

Maggie likes this.
  20. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

The only two that I've heard are Alone With Everybody and Human Conditions, and while I enjoyed a couple of selections on the former, the latter didn't really do an awful lot for me.

To be honest, though, I'm not so much into Ashcroft as a singer-songwriter, and preferred him when he was operating as part of a unit like he did on the first Verve album, A Storm in Heaven, and the singles "All in the Mind", "Gravity Grave" and "She's a Superstar", all these reverb-soaked psychedelic odysseys with Ashcroft floating over the top or being part of the overall vibe rather than trying to draw full attention to himself like he successfully managed to on Urban Hymns (although that's no doubt a consequence of how that record came about)

21. lester christgau

lester christgau Forum Resident

Easy.

Every single one of them is rank.

FredHubbard likes this.
  22. I'm a big fan of Alone With Everybody and Keys To The World. I thought These People was a decent comeback after the poor United Nations of Sound.

Generally I think Ashcroft's solo work has been denigrated by bitter Verve fans that wish the group had stuck together longer. Some of it is clearly middling material, but he still has the chops to write good songs when inspired. His albums do have a tendency to be overproduced and that usually weakens the actual songs. I'd love to hear demos for a lot of his solo work. I'd bet they actually work better than the finished product.

Maggie likes this.
  23. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

First album was ok , some great b sides , and diminishing returns ever since. Saw him live on the first solo tour, and tbh, it was disappointing.

He desperately needed Nick McCabe , for me the unsung genius of The Verve. I’ve carried on buying each solo album but they are largely forgettable. Pleasant enough, but no lasting impact.

TheSeldomSeenKid and CrombyMouse like this.
  24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I only have the first two. Over the years, I've listened to Alone with Everybody the most since I was a big fan of it upon release and "C'mon People" was one of my favorite singles of 2000.

However, after playing both tonight, I might have enjoyed Human Conditions a bit more this time around. The production is not as overblown as the debut and there's a gentle, peaceful beauty to the sound and songwriting that really put me in a good place. Now, granted it doesn't have the hooks of the best tracks from Alone with Everybody and the lyrics are bad in a few spots, but the vibe and passion is wonderful.

I should probably look into his more recent stuff I suppose.

PhantomStranger and Maggie like this.
  25. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

Alone With Everybody
    Human Conditions
    Keys To The World

It all went downhill thereafter for me.

CrombyMouse likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.