Bands you witnessed get booed off the stage

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I remember doing spot lights for the 1st rap band ever to tour australia in the mid 80's, they were called valore and double O... They were pretty crap, but I was doing Spots in a major venue in Sydney with 1000's of people and they had booked the 1st Australian rap band to support them, they were from Melbourne, anyway they come out and annouce they are from Melbourne to massive boo's (there is a Melbourne Sydney rivalry), so they start their 1st Rap... Oh dear by the time they had finished the stage was covered in empty cans of beer..... They started the next song and couldn't finish it due to the cans being thrown on stage and the Booing...

ONe of the members of the Headline came out and said please give their rap brothers from down under a go... even that was met with booing...

They tried to continue but it just got worse and they walked off stage looking pretty dejected...

Oh yea they did REALLY suck though...

2. Godbluff

Godbluff Forum Resident

I was there and watched their set, but they certainly weren't canned offstage. Although they were fairly unknown at the time they went down pretty well I seem to remember. Although they weren't really my sort of thing, a couple of guys we were with were fans and I remember they played their full slot of just under an hour, which was slightly longer than they were originally allocated. There are soundboard and audience recordings in circulation that would back that up (The Fifteenth National Jazz ,Blues and Rock Festival.Reading 1975. recordings ).

There were a lot of can fights that year, it was becoming an unfortunate festival tradition among the more brain-dead sections of the crowd at the time, but most tended to thrown indiscriminately, rather than directed at a particular act. The only band I can remember being targeted that year were Stella, who opened the festival on the Friday in the slot immediately before Judas Priest, and were pretty dire, although I'm fairly sure they did manage to complete their set. I saw quite a few bands getting canned at Reading in subsequent years, as the 70s progressed there was an increasing number of the audience who seemed to take delight in slinging anything that came to hand at any act that didn't fit with their narrow musical tastes, but the only one I can remember that fled the stage early were Wayne County and the Electric Chairs in 1977, although that was due to being pelted with mud rather than cans.

Dudley Morris and edenofflowers like this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

not a band, but a female artist,

sass jordan was opening for steve perry on his 'for the love of strange medicine" tour.

after about 3 songs no one, literally, was paying any attention to her extremely loud, and really terrible, performance.....no applause, a smattering of jeers........after the 4th or 5th song she just walked off the stage to the loudest applause she got all night.

5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

“Britpop” band Dodgy in the early 1990s. They weren’t a support act, they came on in between DJ sets at a merciless alternative / new wave etc club all-nighter that used to happen every (Tuesday?) at the Camden Palace London. Nobody I was with or I had heard of Dodgy.

They were terrible, made intolerably worse by the singer preaching politics in between songs to kids who’d just had two great hours dancing and shagging to the likes of New Order, Bowie, and The Stone Roses.

After around 15 minutes, heckling turned into a stage invasion which included someone trying to set fire to the drum kit.

And that was the end of that. The DJ returned, put on (IIRC) the fantastic “The Light Pours Out of Me” by Magazine, and eveybody went back to having a good time.

6. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I remember Dodgy. "The Drummer from Dodgy" was a particularly well known 'character'. I saw them - out of the corner of my eye - at one of the 90s' Reading Festivals and they were ignorably mediocre. Dodgy.

Beamish13 likes this.
  7. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Prince was mercifully booed after each song during his entire set when he opened for The Stones at The Los Angeles Coliseum in 1981.

If he wasn't booed off stage, his set wasn't all that long with four or five songs. But that's ok. Four or five songs from him was more than enough.

There was a bottle of Jack (hopefully empty) that was hurled up on stage after a few songs. I don't know if that also factored in to his early exit or not.

8. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Kiss played 7 songs at that gig, which was all they had on the planned set list for this free show. There's a widely circulating video of the event.

Crimson jon, squittolo and uzn007 like this.
  9. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Amongst these 26 pages, there are likely a fair amount of fantasies or mid-remembered events that time has taken its toll on. I wouldn’t accuse anyone outright but there are a few that are kinda dubious to say the least.

Ed

10. Wow. You must really really hate Prince.

What, exactly, caused this do you think?

11. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Prince was replaced by Iggy Pop at The Stones shows at the Silverdome in Michigan, and though a local boy he got a very rough reception. I remember glow sticks flying through the air from the upper deck aimed at the stage.
    Mikey Dread was booed throughout his set supporting The Clash.

12. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Wow. While I saw Prince later in the decade, I wish I could have seen a show from that period. I imagine he did a good bit of Dirty Mind.

lordfalconer and lightbulb like this.
  13. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

Sif feet under. Barnes was so hammered drunk. Staggering. Slurring. Acting like a douche.
    Knly show ive witnessed in all my many hundreds of shows this happened. He unprofessional and a a$$bag.

I e never been a fan of six feet under or barnes.

14. On a Saturday night in Tampa Florida with nothing else to do, we bought tickets to see Kenny Loggins (it was my nephew's first concert--he's two years younger than me) and Steve Forbert opened. There was a guy there who had seen Forbert in New York (and I think he was from there, too just visiting Tampa) and told us how great he was. Sadly, the crowd was lukewarm to him even though he put on a great show. Everyone there was, of course, interested in seeing Loggins it appeared (no surprise) and not open to an artist that wasn't slick and writing songs that were more direct and heartfelt at the time.

15. Steve Bromsgrove

Steve Bromsgrove Former Pressing Plant Employee.

I watched a few obscure support bands get booed off the stage at the Marquee when I worked there, but the bands names are lost in the mists of time! One band's guitarist was playing a particularly dire solo and had a stale cheese roll chucked at him! I know this to be true because it was me who threw the roll!

Around 1975/6 Aswad were shamefully booed and were pelted by beer cans by the die hard rock and roll merchants who would not tolerate reggae!

Ponzio, squittolo and Steve Litos like this.
  16. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Bob Dylan - he stayed on stage, but had to dodge a few tequila bottles. :laugh: He was opening for Santana.

squittolo likes this.
  17. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Like, every band that ever opened for TOOL. I have it on good authority that Manyard does this to screw with his fans (and because he genuinely likes these bands).

18. WHR

WHR Forum Resident

I saw Steppenwolf in about 1972 . They were the headliner and were an hour and a half late and played for about 45 minutes. Didn't stay on stage long enough to be booed off but they were booed.

19. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Limp Bizkit opening for Metallica.
    It happened at the racetrack in Cicero, just outside of Chicago. 2 or 4 songs into their set was enough for Fred. All sorts of stuff was flying in the air, and leading up to the show, local dj Mancow was giving them plenty of bad press's. Fred was barking all sorts of stupid stuff to the crowd. I do believe he was pelted a few times, and probably received a shower from one of the many urine filled bottles that were being thrown. One would think Metallica would have come out early and do a huge set, but it didn't happen.

20. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Ha! That video has to be fake, there are not enough beer cans and bras in the sky, LOL.

I went and watched the video, I'm amazed it exists! Seriously, my memories of this are: my college buddies and I were down there for spring break, we heard on the radio Kiss was playing, traffic was terrible getting there to the point we thought we would miss it, we got there and got fairly close to the stage. Kiss comes out and almost immediately beer cans are flying at the stage (not cool) and bras are flying through the crowd (cool). I remember Calling Dr Love because I wasn't a Kiss fan and that was one of the few I liked, and maybe 3 other songs tops. Meanwhile the beer cans are coming dangerously close to the band to the point where I'm thinking they are going to walk off the stage soon. And then they did, with zero fanfare. IIRC, a kid also died after the gig falling off a pickup truck.

Watching the video I notice a couple things at the end. It appears Kiss may be flipping off the crowd at the end of their last number. Also no radio station DJ comes out to thank Kiss or anything. Also the crowd is standing there confused wondering if that's the end or not, which was how we felt. So I question whether that was truly the planned set list or not.

Either way thanks for pointing out the video, that was fun to revisit!

squittolo likes this.
  21. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

No, they're saying Bruuuce! :)

uzn007 likes this.
  22. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Who were they?

23. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

None was a Norwegian techno-folk band from the 70s. How can you not know that?

Ed

Dudley Morris likes this.
  24. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Journey (and the Atlanta Rhythm Section) opened for the RS at Rich Stadium in 1978, too (I was at that one) and I don't remember
    any booing then.

25. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.