Every UK #1 Single Of 1972 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Its charging beat, though, seemed to anticipate Rihanna's "Pon De Replay" . . . one could do a mash-up of that with "Radar Love" and be none-the-worse for wear.

2. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

Rod Stewart - You Wear It Well / Lost Paraguayos
    The main track is nice laid-back Sunday afternoon music, maybe a tad tiresome, but the Latin flavoured flipside is cool! Very nice instrumental action going on in the background.

Northernlight and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Ah yes, Rod and the swedish actress Britt Ekland. During Stewart's period with Britt, my mother worked in a diamond shop at the dutch Schiphol Airport. One time Rod and Britt passed by in her store. As soon as Britt discovered my mother was swedish as well, they happily started chatting in their native language. But after awhile Britt turned to Rod, switched to english and said "Darling, I like that one!", while pointing at a diamond ring. When Rod saw the price of the precious ring, he dismissively replied "You buy it yourself". Cheap bastard :D

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    goodiesguy, Randoms, Mylene and 2 others like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

My mum had Britt’s autobiography (called True Britt:D) in the 80s. Ms Ekland was very bitter about her break up with Rod and I recall the book referring to his being ‘careful’ with money many times.

RudolphS likes this.
  5. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, "Revolution" and "Boy" are two of my favorite T.Rex tracks - but I only heard them for the first time when I bought the hits set 15 years ago or whenever.

Northernlight likes this.
  6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Good point.

I'll see your '69 Alice Cooper and raise you one Rolling Stones from '66...

[​IMG]

7. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I love this one as well.

Rod committed the unbearable sin of having a lot of fun. How dare he! The incels were livid!

His music was never glam, but he did have that aura of decadence around him from a pretty early stage. If you specify that as a defining characteristic of glam, Rod kept getting glammier and glammier as the decade wore on. :winkgrin:

Northernlight, Randoms, bob60 and 2 others like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

As I recall, Rod continued getting more ‘glam’ well into the 80s too. Most people had stopped by then.:D

Northernlight and sunspot42 like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

:D Thank God they didn't perform dressed like that!

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I was gonna say - "Passion" was pretty glam, in an '80s / New Wave way (a lot of the New Wavers were huge Bowie and T.Rex fans, and took a lot of their image and attitude from glam).

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

If only!

12. Bobby Morrow

Wasn’t Foolish Behaviour the album Rod said he most disliked of all of his? I believe he said there wasn’t one good song on it.

13. Bobby Morrow

Just behind You Wear It Well on this week’s chart was Mott The Hoople’s All The Young Dudes. It would peak at #3 becoming the group’s biggest UK hit.

[​IMG]

14. Jonpd

Jonpd Forum Resident

Schools Out was a great record. My brother had the LP, if I remember correctly the front opened like a desk lid, I can't recall the paper pants though.

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I thought his low point was supposedly Body Wishes. The cover was certainly crap.

[​IMG]

He had no hits off of this in the US if memory serves. Did quite well in the UK, though.

carlwm and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

This might have been the '70s single most-deserving of a #1 that didn't get one.

17. Bobby Morrow

I have that album.:laugh:

Yes, Baby Jane was a number one and I think he had a couple of other top 10 hits too. Most of Rod’s 80s albums were patchy. I don’t think Body Wishes is bad, but agree that the sleeve is awful.

18. Bobby Morrow

As I said before, it won my glam singles poll with great ease. It was in the lead from the very beginning. A lot of the records in that poll were much bigger (and I thought) better known hits too.

Randoms and sunspot42 like this.
  19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Yeah, you can make an argument for "All The Young Dudes" being the greatest glam single ever. A strong argument.

Northernlight and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Fantastic single of course, I'm amazed Bowie gave this song away. If he had released All The Young Dudes himself it could've been his breakthrough in the States. All The Young Dudes charted higher in the US than any of David's own singles up to that point.

And although All The Young Dudes didn't make it to #1, I can't resist to post the dutch sleeve of the single:

[​IMG]

21. Bobby Morrow

Yes, I bet Bowie regretted giving that one away later on!

Still, as I said before, in 1973 he had an amazing year in the UK. No number ones, but 4 top 3 hits. I will of course be mentioning them as and when.:)

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Totally agree.

You Wear It Well has a relaxed, playful, joyous vibe that is perennially uplifting. Beautiful intro and a (false) sense that the lyrics were just tossed in ad lib.

Randoms, bob60 and sunspot42 like this.
  23. duggan

duggan Senior Member

You Wear It Well was on the 1973 "Sing It Again Rod", his first greatest hits album which covered the first three solo albums and the one off Pinball Wizard.

Subsequent official Greatest Hits/ Best Of albums were post his 1975 move to Warner Brothers. Those albums, presumably for licensing reasons, tended to under represent Mercury tracks.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. You Wear It Well
    Thumbs up here...another great single. I prefer his early stuff but even his overtly 'sold out' period had some great singles.
    4/5

25. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

As you know, Glam wasn't the force in the US that it was elsewhere. I only knew Mott through All The Young Dudes but the opening scene to Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore turned me on to further investigate their catalogue. Love, love, love All The Way From Memphis! Synergy.

Randoms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.