RSD 2018 pressing quality reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry James, Apr 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

My copy of the Sundays is perfect! Great classic album too.

MattG likes this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My wife was disappointed we passed on The Dead box on RSD and of course all my local stores sold out first day, and not much of a fan of buying RSD titles on Ebay after the fact. Was in my go to store this past Friday picking up the new Arctic Monkeys Indie vinyl version and was telling the person I knew there that the only title we should have gotten was The Dead box. My lucky day as they had just gotten a copy from another store that could not pay for it shipped to them the day before and it was still there at regular price.

My wife was like, that's what I want for Mothers Day, she could not believe they got one more copy. Priceless present!

The packaging is very nice, booklet could have been better, but price kept down. The sound is fantastic as others have said and yes I find it odd as well about the lack of run in groove, but not that big of a deal...sweet box set and an even sweeter present!

Did not mean to ramble, just thought it was a cool story...

3. bward

bward Senior Member

Last night I opened my copy of The Kids Are Alright on red and blue vinyl.
    My original day of issue copy was swiped a long time ago, so I was thrilled to buy it again on vinyl.
    This new version sounds great. Vinyl nice and quiet, the music nicely balanced. I'm really enjoying it.
    Couple of things.
    It's been a long time since I possessed this title.
    The new inner sleeves have the same graphics, but I thought the original inners were made of thick paper. The new inners are much thinner, probably better for the vinyl. Is my memory correct here?
    Also the booklet is reproduced very nicely.
    And there are some updates to the text, which is a nice touch.
    For example, A Quick One While He's Away references the release of Rock and Roll Circus in 1996. Somebody is paying attention.
    Im not intimately familiar with the older book, so I couldn't say if some of the images were swapped, or if the entire booklet was redesigned. But it looks familiar to me.
    Very nice package.
    Im very glad I bought this.

4. X3Bowens

X3Bowens Forum Resident

Yea! it would be nice to get some clarification on the actual number produced. The 3 stores I went to on RSD sold out quickly. Luckily, I grabbed it at my first stop. My cop yis Stamped #1277.

5. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Glad they did this one right, essential Who and a great starting point for newbies.

Going from memory but my original U.S. has the dreaded cardstock inners. One cool feature that allows for, the sleeves are embossed around the graphics of the reels.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I’ve always wanted to hear a Koetsu. Never have.

7. xmas111

xmas111 Forum Resident

Finally got around to spinning Jeff Beck "Truth", blue vinyl. One of my favorite albums.

Excellent pressing! Dead flat and very quiet. This will be my "go to" copy.

And looks very cool too.....:laugh:

[​IMG]

8. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Sweet deck!! Quick if topic question, what's the table and what does that roller brush thingy do?

John Bliss likes this.
  9. xmas111

xmas111 Forum Resident

The table is a VPI Classic 1 and the roller thingy is a duster. Helps picking up dust as the record spins. Works quite well.

John Bliss and Tommyboy like this.
  10. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

By way of an update, my record shop got in a replacement copy of the Gordon Beck Trio album. They thoughtfully offered to check this one before I took it away. Unfortunately, it too was marked in places and contained a lot of pops and general surface noise. Needless to say I didn't take it away and had store credit instead. Unless I've bene exceptionally unlucky, there's a fair chance this is just a poor pressing job by the plant: might be something worth bearing in mind if you're considering buying this...

11. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Nope! Lol. I think there's only so much that could be done. But still he's the King ya know?

Jimijam and marcb like this.
  12. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Oh, i know too well, haha. Been a sucker for Elvis releases since a little kid. I think i currently have 4 or 5 releases with the material already though. Gotta draw the line somewhere. :shh:

13. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

I finally played George Martin 'Beatles to Bond and Bach' today and it sounds fantastic! Beautiful blue vinyl, nice thick cardboard, quiet, dead flat, excellent!

14. pigman

pigman Forum Resident

Opened the Scofield lp and it looks like somebody took sand paper to it,plays fine tho.

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Wanted to add some more feedback on the Dead box. Finally got through it all and very happy with the purchase. Besides hardly any Run In Groove, when each side ends, the mastering info (raised large) engraved in the dead wax is cut way to close at where each side ends, meaning if you do not lift your tone are up as soon as the side ends, your stylus will track right over the engraved wording and such. Bottom line, they could have pressed these better IMO...still a nice edition to the collection.

AlienRendel and superstar19 like this.
  16. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Just picked up Chuck Berry’s Greatest Hits. How’s the sound quality ?

17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Very good.

AtlTrav, Tommyboy and Isamet like this.
  18. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I picked up the 2-LP translucent blue Blue Oyster Cult Rarities Vol. 2. and it is really nice.

Trace, scotti and Rekkerds like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

One of my favorite RSD titles! Buck's demo of Don't Fear The Reaper is incredible and almost like hearing the song for the first time. One of the coolest demos I have ever heard!

Trace and monomusic like this.
  20. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Agreed, it is great! It is a shame that BOC is so criminally underrated, in some ways. It has always been my opinion that, much like Devo, they are just completely misunderstood, in that you can't really pigeonhole them into one genre or style of music. Their first three albums contain some highly listenable pieces of experimentation. I've always been enamored with them. The verses in Godzilla - you could argue it was among the first styles of "rapping" put onto tape, and I never get tired of In Thee, from Mirrors. Great band!

scotti and No Static like this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

After spending some good listens to all of the albums I got on RSD (got over 12) hands down the best over all sounding title is The End - Introspection/Retrospection, the incredible Bill Wyman produced psych/rock classic from 1969. Sure I love the Grant Green's, Pink Floyd, and Neil Young for their sound quality as well, but 'The End" is just tremendous! Highly Recommended and you can still get this 2 LP set for only $25 still on Discogs, an absolute bargain!

If unfamiliar with this album and you like that kind of music, this is a must have!

Former Scientist and AnalogJ like this.
  22. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Spun my Zappa over the weekend. Sounded good, but the damn thing is dished. :shake:

23. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Finally picked up the Grateful Dead Records collection. Haven’t spun it yet but the vinyl looks ok, some scuffs and sleeve scuffs. I thought it was a little weird that Mars Hotel and Steal Your Face come in flimsy cardboard, both of which have outer jacket scuffs from moving around in the box. Do all of the boxes have these two titles in cheap cardboard?

I did a quick spin for spot checks of the scuffs and none were audible. I’ll give them a clean and have a more thorough listen. Sonics sounded nice from the quick spins though.

24. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Bert Jansch "LA Turnaround" on solid sky blue vinyl. Van Morrison's "Moon Dance" Alternate takes album. Both perfect vinyl and amazing sound.

Beau Brummels' "Bradley's Barn". Two disc marble colored vinyl. Vinyl is beautiful & pristine. And the sound. WOW! Best ever--especially the alt takes and extras. Wonderful shiny gatefold jacket too.

Spadeygrove and funknik like this.
  25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’ve been using the Koetsu Onyx for 2 months. It’s a really nice cartridge but not as fast and dynamic as my Atlas that’s still at Lyra undergoing repair.

chacha likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.