Yamaha RX-V1900 On Craigslist (Worth picking up?)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by djdbravo, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djdbravo

djdbravo Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster! (& so I apologize if this is not the correct place to post this!) I would appreciate some input! I have found a Yamaha RX-V1900 receiver on Craigslist for $100. Is it worth a grab? It's a power step up for my system certainly at 130 W/P channel vs my current 70 W/P.

I'm running a 2.1 system; KEF Q350's paired with a Definitive Technology Super Cube 4000. (Analog music nearly 95% of the time via my Rega Planar 3 turntable)

Would this receiver suit my current set up? Is it worth picking up?
    Thanks for your time!

2. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I don't know what your current setup is but I think it is very well worth it.I like these Yamahas.Clean power with no distortion.I think the weakest segment is the phono section but great amp.

djdbravo likes this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

The power step? Hearing is logarithmic. You need to probably triple the power to really notice more maximum volume. BUT all amplifiers are not equally strong in real life, never mind their power ratings which can sometimes be exagerrated. Er, what MODEL receiver do you have now?
    Yamahas have long been musical, that seems like a super nice receiver and that price is crazy. If you use room correction, the time-based Audyssey or Dirac are theoretically superior to Yamaha's YPAO or Pioneer's whatever-they-call-it. Those correction softwares can help overcome the fact that sub-to-mains crossovers pretty much suck as far as flexibility in home equipment. Oddly, car stereo is way ahead in this regard.

djdbravo likes this.
  4. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Have owned Yammies for years. Clean power and really nice sound.. that model is decent .. for 100 pretty good deal IMO

djdbravo and rodentdog like this.
  5. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Grab it. It's a steal for $100.00. Hope it comes with the remote. Run it in 2 channel stereo or bypass mode. You can download the user guide online if it doesn't come with it. I have owned several Yamaha avr's and they have all sounded good (to me).

djdbravo likes this.
  6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I have the previous generation - the V1800.

Good performance and value.

Good advice to see if it still has the remote - but also check to see if it comes with the calibration microphone so you can run the YPAO audio setup.

djdbravo likes this.
  7. djdbravo

Thank you everyone! I've sent him a message and hope to pick it up soon!

MikeJedi likes this.
  8. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Any news?

9. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

It's a great unit as long as, like me, you're not interested in Ultra HD or Atmos sound.

djdbravo likes this.
  10. djdbravo

I'll be picking it up soon, I am out of town at the moment. I'll post an update when I have it!

11. djdbravo

Nope, also no interest! Looking forward to picking it up.

12. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I purchased a similar near top of the line Pioneer Elite. The owner was hot on UHD and Atmos so he was dumping his SC-35. Everything works perfectly except for the limited number of HDMI inputs.

13. harby

harby Forum Resident

RX-V1500 owner, quite satisfied. RX-V1900 takes that up to HDMI for Blu-Ray 1080p with it's required digital decoders, but while still having tons of composite video ins for whatever reason. Some audio setup is easier to do on-screen, which on my receiver means actually hooking up otherwise unused composite video out to a TV input.

Yamaha has presence speakers and amp channels you can also hook up, high "surround" speakers in front that are used for the echo chamber DSP effects that nobody really needs.

djdbravo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.