New Paul McCartney album "Egypt Station" coming September 7, 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by etcetera, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There probably will be songs about love.

Martin de Dios likes this.
  2. Martin de Dios

Martin de Dios Forum Resident

And one about Brazil!

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

..and, one about the president.....maybe?

Martin de Dios likes this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Also one about frogs

FKA002 likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And one about trains ... ;)

theMess and Martin de Dios like this.
  6. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

And one about tight trousers ...
    Wait, that's not the Dirk McQuickly thread?

theMess, Martin de Dios and vince like this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I've actually found a sample lyric from that song!

"on my way to work
    I took a public train
    There were photographers
    I made the tabloid news"

8. Arnold Grove

That's almost a haiku... ;)

9. Arnold Grove

In fact, it might indeed be a haiku. Because I really don't know what a haiku is. It just sounds good ... ;)

theMess and Paul H like this.
  10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It's not a haiku
    Search Google to learn the rules
    It's fun once you know

;)

theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Although there are exceptions I believe, the standard haiku format is three lines, with 5, 7, and 5 syllables.

theMess and Monasmee like this.
  12. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Usually a Japanese poem of seventeen syllables, in three lines of five, seven, and five, traditionally evoking images of the natural world.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  13. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I doubt he will include that song on the new album, if he has even recorded it. It would attract the kind of controversy he seems to prefer to avoid. Everyone would focus on it, instead of discussing the melodies, lyrics, etc.

If he does include that one on the new album, I wonder: would he play it live only in Brazil?
    Perhaps it will have a Latin American vibe without mentioning a specific country, so that he can play it live in other countries as well.

14. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

If he wrote one about the president it would be recorded and put on the album. I don’t think he’d mind the publicity at all.

vince likes this.
  15. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

So let me get this straight, Paul's album has been delayed because he is writing the lyrics to each song in haiku?

16. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

In fact, it might in
    deed be a haiku. Because
    I really don't know

With apologies to Arnold Grove

Rob Hughes, theMess and Arnold Grove like this.
  17. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

It sure seems everyone is taking for granted that the White album thing is happening in their timeline predictions...I don’t get it.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  18. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

None of these things are happening. No new album. No White Album box. No Archive Collection for 'Wild Life' and 'Red Rose Speedway'. None of it. At least, officially none of it is going to happen. Until I hear more than rumors, it ain't happening. ;-)

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

You're familiar with the 50 year "use it or lose it" copyright law in the EU, yes? Aside from a handful of those "White Album Demos" (aka the Esher acoustic recordings) on Anth 3, none have been officially released. If they aren't issued officially by Dec 31 2018, undoubtedly some minor label would have a pretty appealing release they could put out in 2019. That's one reason I've fully expected a deluxe White Album for quite some time...

http://www.ppluk.com/Documents/Member Services/PPL Copyright Term Extension FAQs - Performers 2014.pdf

3. How is copyright term measured?
    For released recordings, the law calculates the duration of copyright protection for sound recordings by counting years from the end of the year of release. The year of release will be the first of:
     the year in which the recording was first published (this means physical publication); or
     the year in which the recording was first played in public or communicated to the public.

Following copyright term extension, the copyright term for sound recordings will generally be:
     50 years for sound recordings released on or before 31 December 1962 (and so copyright in these sound recordings has now expired, and is not "revived" by copyright term extension).
     70 years for sound recordings released on or after 1 January 1963, subject to termination of the copyright in the extended term (years 51 to 70) under the "use it or lose it" provisions.

If a sound recording is not released within 50 years of the end of the year in which it is made, the copyright in the sound recording expires at the end of that 50th year, even if it is released at a later date.

20. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Perhaps a bonus track or a B-side, like he did with Big Boys Bickering?

theMess likes this.
  21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

And unlike anything that would have made it to Bootleg Release 196X, these Esher demos are likely the most listenable previously-bootlegged material by the Beatles.

22. Arnold Grove

So as to avoid specifically mentioning "BRAZIL", he will call the song "Home of Portuguese-Speaking Beautiful People Who Live In A Country Other Than Portugal". Which would leave more to the imagination ... ;)

theMess, FKA002 and 5th-beatle like this.
  23. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

Yea, I understand and familiar with the copyright law.

It just seems a bit arrogant (not referring to you in particular) to assume we are getting such a lavish box set or to post things like, “well we are getting product X in November and product Y in December” when nothing has even been hinted at officially.

But again, I certainly HOPE you’re right in your expectations. It would be a Day 1 preorder for me.

lennon_08518 and mrjinks like this.
  24. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Drainpipe trousers. Maybe some council houses.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    FKA002 likes this.
  25. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

Is Drainpipe Trousers the name of the new album?

Paper Wizard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.