The Americans sixth and final season approaches...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The Center is now as big a danger as Stan.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Would you say he is a bit more Americanized?

3. Of course. He likes the American way of life. He certainly likes what the USA has provided for his children.

On the flipside, do you recall how anti-religion Philip was when Paige started up with the church? Ironically, Elizabeth was more open minded to Paige's religion.

I thought they were going to explore some aspect of Philip's past as it relates to religion, but they didn't.

In a double twist, it was Philip who got father Viktor to marry them.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I don't think that she has redeemed herself. She is finally aware of some things. Perhaps in the short time left, she will redeem herself.

At this point, I don't see those two being pitted against each other. It will be them (or her) against her daughter.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

There was perhaps a bit too much character development of Elizabeth in this episode. Maybe they should have spread things out a bit, or explained it better to me.

I will grant that the Center had never asked her to kill fellow Russians before. She might balk at that. But who knows, she could just follow the orders. To have that and have her let the kid go, maybe both understandable, but spread it out a bit as a story.

Given the past episode, it looks more like the Jennings against the Center, with Paige complicating things. We'll see!

GodShifter likes this.
  6. Well...it looks like they'll be on the run?

With Elizabeth burning that bridge with The Center, it looks like they would be on their own.

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yeah, I'm not so sure an "on the run" ("thriller") type finale is what I had in mind for this show. I pictured a slow, agonizing death spiral of some sort which would fit the tone of the show better, IMO...

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

next week could be very very good.

i kind of hope that no one dies.

9. shokhead

Hunted now by both sides.

10. mrjinks

Maybe they'll wind up cornered by the FBI and opt for a murder/suicide ending...

11. I'm not sure what I expected, but I feel a little letdown by the past couple of episodes. I think because the last two were so Liz-centric. Philip's scenes (what there were of them), was brilliant as always.

That said, I thought that confrontation between Elizabeth and Paige was well done by both actors. Indeed, Elizabeth kind of explained her whole life in those few short words to Paige. I understand her patriotism, just like I understand Oleg's.

Speaking of Oleg, he might be the most tragic of all the casualties. Did he ever really do anything "wrong," even as a member of the KGB? He liked America. He's very intelligent.

Oleg's speech to Stan was the most powerful moment of this episode.

Funny how they sent homechick to kill that dude, her being such a high ranking person, and then Elizabeth waxed her, closing the whole Oleg/Philip loop, though Elizabeth never met her.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Sandinista and Rufus McDufus like this.
  12. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Boooooooooooooo!

13. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Philip and Elizabeth will end up in Omaha managing a Cinnabon.

Gavinyl, Cassius, vegafleet and 6 others like this.
  14. shokhead

Well they do have suicide pills to use if caught

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm not at all sure what will happen, and none of the suggestions here ring right with me, but I'm eager to see the finale.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  16. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Chekhov's gun. That pill is definitely getting used.

17. 1 pill. They'd have to split it like a picnic sandwich.

Hey, you know, I can't believe we had to sit there and watch ****ing Pastor Tim again! It was kind of tense, though.

I digress.

There's Rene, there's the pill, and there's Stan. Somebody gets the pill. If Rene is a non-factor what the hell was her point? That leaves Stan. Wouldn't that be crazy if they made Stan chew the pill before they light out for Nebraska?

18. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Renee centered Stan's home life, help him see the Jennings at more of a distance, encouraged his FBI career. Sandra didn't want him suspicious of the Jennings, then the marriage fell apart. Stan's more integrated now and better able to see the Jennings for what they are.

Still, at the FBI Stan cannot convince Aderholt to go ahead on the Jennings. Maybe Renee makes a picture or sketch ID and that's enough to convince him. I'm assuming something like that happens. In the universe of the show, none of that happens without Renee. The Jennings get away clean. I'm assuming there are going to be complications to that.

There's been characters on the show, like Pastor Tim or Gaad, who have done a lot less. It's a slow burn, character show, with bursts of action. The writers like to build up and justify stuff a lot, which is why we're seeing the nuts and bolts of Stan trying to build a case at the FBI.

People seem to want something else out of Renee. To me, the alternate explanations make less sense than what we've seen.

19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Squat cobbler.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  20. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

How long is the final episode?

21. mrjinks

Looks like they have 1.5 hrs allotted on their schedule, so probably a little over an hour (?):
    Schedule | FX Networks

22. shokhead

Any after show round table talks or anything like that?

23. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

The FBI discussion towards the end mentioned surveillance photos. The priest talking to Phillip?
    I think that will be how Stan finally nails his theory on the Jennings.

24. mrjinks

Я не знаю. :shrug:

25. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident Thread Starter

Predictions-

Stan will wind up being the one to kill Philip, especially if he learns that Philip was the one who killed Stan's partner back in season one.

Somehow Paige makes contact with Claudia who either A) tries to kill her(and fails), or B) recruits her to kill Elizabeth in retaliation for undermining the Gorbachev plot (She doesn't go through with it).

Elizabeth is captured by Aderholt, who recognizes her as the woman he tried to arrest in season three. She is sentenced to life in prison.

A devastated Henry is taken in by Stan and Renee after he learns the truth about his parents.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.