Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yes...very little to choose from, like "Speed of Sound" and the inclusion of "Message From Joe".

SixOClockBoos, Oyster Boy and jmxw like this.
  2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Glad to hear that the James Paul McCartney special will be upgraded, unlike the bootleg-level version of One Hand Clapping we got in the BOTR box...

theMess, crossroads69, Paul H and 3 others like this.
  3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Especially when you consider that Women Kind was recorded in 1974! :eek:

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

And don't forget they cut out "Suicide" for inclusion on the McCartney archive deluxe DVD. Oh yeah, and Junior's Farm. :doh:

5. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

:laughup:
    sure...:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

6. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Before knowing about the potential archive releases for Wild Life/RRS, I originally thought both albums were complete garbage. I listened to them again, and well - I kinda like RRS now. Geez - how time can change your opinion on a certain album.

My original opinion on Wild Life, however, still stands.

Ringmaster_D, Mr. Explorer and RAJ717 like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Well, one out of two is a step in the right direction. ;)

In my case, I always have liked Wild Life. For whatever reason, I like the "unfinished" quality that is present on much of Wild Life. But it definitely is an atypical Macca album.

8. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I tried the same thing. I have always thought Red Rose Speedway was a sleepy album full of non-energetic songs but they were well-produced. Wild Life on the other hand, still sounds more like a bootleg of half-finished, half-rehearsed, and half-polished songs. Some had potential ("Love Is Strange", "Dear Friend") but they just ramble on too long or are too rough to be considered worthy of being released. Just my opinion of course, and I fully acknowledge that some people love the charm of it being so haphazard.

Paul H, gja586, Zeki and 1 other person like this.
  9. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Played my colored Chaos last night. Enjoyed the sound but not the many instances of non-fill (or whatever it's called). Shame on me for not cleaning first. Will have to try again after a scrub.

longdist01 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  10. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I too may not have enjoyed Wild Life as much as other Paul albums. However, I am somewhat interested in what I hope will be the inclusion of the '72 university tour in the archive release.

theMess, boggs, Jjuanjo and 3 others like this.
  11. Because of that sound it is one of the few McCartney albums that doesn't sound dated IMHO.

12. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

And just for the sake of providing an alternative view, for me it is 75% of a great album (i.e. from track 3 onwards). It was kind of a brave move and possibly a foolish one to put out a hurriedly recorded, somewhat thrown together back to basics album when the tendency at the time was towards polished production and/or overly elaborate musical arrangements and it was clearly a reaction to the critical backlash that met Ram. But Some People Never Know and Dear Friend are two of McCartney's greatest ever songs for my money and side two of the album is one of the most straightforwardly enjoyable 20 minutes in his whole post Beatles career.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  13. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

That is exactly what I think of it.

14. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Speculation for now, but strong rumors of late Fall release.

15. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Good point. Wild Life can't really sound dated because it never sounded finished.

andrewskyDE, theMess, mrjinks and 2 others like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

"Tomorrow" always sounded finished to me, though. It doesn't have any of the rawness the rest of the album has. It's hands down my favorite song on the album.

17. I think Dear Friend sounds finished. Slot of it does. Paul just usually over produces imho. He follows trends

Oyster Boy and Mr. Explorer like this.
  18. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Of course it's finished. It dates from the Ram sessions!

andrewskyDE and fer2 like this.
  19. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I was referring to the audio -- sorry, my fault, I wasn't clear.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

"Dear Friend," to me, sounds like a demo where he's trying to figure out what to turn this promising melody into. It's too long. A couple years before I heard the song, I read people on this forum gush about it. I was so excited to hear it. Once I did... eh.

21. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I don't particularly care for either one of them. Still glad they're coming and as usual I will be picking up the vinyl. Now, bring on London Town & Back To The Egg.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

No, that's picture discs.

23. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Ah yes. Oobu Joobu. Our original archive collection.

theMess, omikron and FKA002 like this.
  24. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Caught up on the thread officially! I'm incredibly excited about the hopefully-soon-to-be-officially-announced Wild Life and RRS archives.

RRS is one of my favorite Paul albums (Get On The Right Thing, Little Lamb Dragonfly and Lazy Dynamite being my favorite tunes). WL isn't a favorite, but is consistently fascinating in a "this could have been amazing if..." way, but even it has a career highlight Macca song (Some People Never Know).

Thrillington, jricc, theMess and 3 others like this.
  25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

For those who are lukewarm in their opinion of Wild Life:

My guess (and hope) is that the bonus material on the Archive Wild Life set will be fantastic. If MPL comes up short, then people (on average) will still view Wild Life in a relatively poor light. But with the proper and plentiful bonus material, Wild Life can be vastly improved in the public's eye. We'll see ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.