Looking for headphone advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by geddy402, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, I think it’s time for me to get another pair of headphones. With a baby that goes to bed around 7 pm I find about 99% of my music listening inside the house is on headphones.

I listen to records through a Sansui 9090db or Mcintosh 4100 and use a Technics 1200mk2. My current headphone of choice is Sony MDR-7506. The Sony’s have some hours in them and are showing their age.

I like them and think they sound great but feel like there’s better options out there given my frequent use. I don’t know when headphones go from being ok to great, but I figured $300 seemed like a decent place to cap my budget. If there are incredible cans for a little more I’d be open to suggestions.

Looking for comfort too since I listen to them for an hour or two each night while wearing glasses. Also, need them to be portable since I use them when I travel for work listening to videos and music on plane rides.

Anyway, any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

2. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I'd suggest you type in headphone in the search. You'll get plenty of recommendations and information there. I'll give you my choice as a starter. The NAD Viso HP-50's. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding phone at this bargain price from Audio Advisor. I've had them for years and still love them. 32 ohm so easy to drive. Nice travel case, fold flat when packing, plug in cables that can go on either ear cup. Great sounding. Neutral, good bass, decent soundstage. NAD VISO HP50 Over Ear Headphones-Audio Advisor . Paired with my Dragonfly Black and iPhone and Hi-Rez files I'm good to go.

I also have the Massdrop HD-6XX which are open back phones. I enjoy these a lot but they are 300 ohm phones and require a lot of power. A steal at $199 but not good for portability. Hope you find your new phones and congratulations Mom & Dad!

SandAndGlass, SirMarc and timind like this.
  3. geddy402

Thanks for the help! I’ll do a search and look up your suggestions. Thanks again!

4. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've heard good things about the NAD's, but I can attest to the HD6xx's with the 9090db. I've been using HD650's with my 9090 for years, and its a great pairing, but open, so unless you can shut a door, it will be pretty loud.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

The 6XX's are a steal at 199. They're basically blue 650's, which have a list price 500 bucks. Problem is, they're definitely not portable.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. timind

timind phorum rezident

You're going to get a lot of different recommendations as headphones are a very personal experience. Here's mine, Beyerdynamic DT-990 premium version (not pro version). I was a Sennheiser HD650 user for years until I tried a friends pair of Beyerdynamic T-1 headphones. As they were way too expensive I tried a pair of the DT-990s and after switching between the 990s and 650s for a coupe weeks decided the 990s suited me more.

Good luck with whatever you chose.

John Buchanan likes this.
  7. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I would advise visiting a local audio store and trying their headphones out.

Glmoneydawg, malco49 and displayname like this.
  8. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

rufus t firefly likes this.
  9. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

You need to figure out what sound signature you prefer. I have two pair of headphones that sound very different. I switch depending on mood. You will definitely need a closed back pair (not open) since you travel with them. Check out the B&O H6 (I prefer the first generation).

10. geddy402

Good suggestions, I’ll check out the 6xx, 650 and the 990s. It sure I’ll be able to pull off the open backs but I’ll keep them in mind. Thanks!

11. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

I use a pair of AKG 242 HD that work fine, if a little bass-heavy.

12. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

gudnoyez likes this.
  13. geddy402

Awesome, thanks!

Great point. I don’t veer too far from rock and jazz. I find the Sony’s do a great job covering a lot of different music well, but like most of us on the forum get the itch to try something else. The NADs look like they may where I start. Seem reasonably priced and check all the boxes.

14. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

If you are considering the Sennheiser's (HD 6XX or 650's) this might be an issue as those sitting next to you will be hearing your music as well. They will also require an amplifier to drive them as they are 300 Ohn phones. They aren't very travel friendly but will work fine at home. You could also buy some IEM's for travel. Just some free advice.

15. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

HD600's are a great choice and in your price range if you want nothing added to your source. They are neutral and give you exactly what is on the source. I love mine and have no desire to upgrade them.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Consider the Meze Classic 99. They are striking looking, have excellent bass, and a nice sound. Closed back so there isn’t a lot of sound leakage.

17. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I just bought HiFiMan HE-400i. The price has dropped on them to a much more affordable price. Around $200 from Amazon. The also sell the 400s. They are priced similarly, but supposedly the "s" model is warmer and the "i" model are more clinical. I didn't do a comparison. I think the "s" model is a bit more efficient, so it would require less amplification. I'm not a headphone freak, so not really offering a recommendation, more of an alternative. For me, my Grado SR80e developed a problem with the cable, so I decided to get a replacement and the $200 range was where I was comfortable spending my money. I decided on the "i" model because the Grados are said to be warm, and I intend to fix them when I get a chance. Just need to resolder the wires, but I'm away from my tools at home. I figured I'd get something different. The HiFiMans are open back as are Grados. So probably not good for travel.

If you are looking at inexpensive headphone amps, I ended up getting the Schiit Magni III. It's pretty really good and provides a much better experience than the output out of my integrated amp. But to get integrated into my system it took some work. I ended up having to add a $50 switch box to redirect the source signal to either the Magni or my amp. If I had to do it over, I think I would have just gone with trying out the Pro-Ject Head Box S2. The Pro-Ject is $30 more, but it differs in output RCAs. The Magni includes the Pre-Amp Section in the output. Its designed to control powered speakers when you remove the headphone plug. I didn't want the rheostat in my signal path to my amp, so, I had to get the switch box. The Pro-Ject has a pass-thru RCA. So I spent way more money than if I had just bought the more expensive Pro-Ject. I had to get an additional interconnect as well. So now I'm about $200 deep into this and I have an extra box in my signal path. The switch box is neutral, I A/Bed with and without, but it's still less than ideal. I ended up buying a new switch box, because I had one laying around . The one I had did impact the signal, so I had to get a new one. I figure if you get the Pro-Ject with a set of $30 interconnects and the HiFiMans, it's just about $375 for everything.

18. John Dyson

John Dyson Forum Resident

I used to have the Sony MDR7506 and MDR7510 -- both were 'ok', but both sounded so very different -- I knew that I was missing something. So, after SERIOUS research -- my choice was between a Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 and the DT990 Pro 250 -- I could take 80 or 250 in any case -- but after knowing that I needed BOTH a complete picture of the music and beautiful sound I chose and am INCREDIBLY happy with the DT770Pro 80.

The ONLY negative against the DT770 Pro 80 has nothing to do with robustness or sound quality, but the paint job. My skin destroys any kind of paint that it touches -- my keyboard is mostly blank and isn't really very old. The paint used for the name is almost totally disappearing on the earcups. I don't care at all about that, but I am trying to be as critical as I can be.

I use my 770s for reference -- I have to be very careful (due to age) not to lose anything in the sound -- I already don't have significant hearing above 14k (unless blasting my ears with super high power), so I need everything that I can get. I need to hear every/any defect in my software designs, and the DT770's haven't let me down. Both the Sony MDR7506 and the 7510s have 'let me down' -- they hid too many audio problems -- they MIGHT be okay for causal listening or for talent at radio stations (things like that), but for very critical use -- the DT770s are both super-detailed and nice sounding. I am considering DT990s for a backup -- another audio viewpoint. Also, I am considering other headphones for secondary purposes like the medium-end Sennheisers (were recommended to me.) The DT990s are supposed to be more technically accurate -- but defining 'accuracy' in headphones isn't really very straightforward.

Right now, with my limited headphone knowledge (and the extensive reasarch that I did before purchase -- only focused on my goals -- didn't really increase my general headphone knowledge) -- I would ONLY suggest the Beyerdynamic line of DT770 Pro/not-Pro (medium/low impedance -- e.g. 32/80/250 -- I'd stay away from the special 16 unless I was purely portable), or the DT990 Pro series -- as reasonably low an impedance is available, I know that they don't have super-low impedance like the 770 though. (low impedance usually means lower voltage drive for the same power, and I am not using a full scale console with high voltage drive/monitoring standard 600 ohm lines), so 250ohm is the highest impedance that likely interests me -- but 80 is the sweet spot if you can get them. One more thing -- part of my non-audio oriented headphone choice is cable type -- I only want non-coiled or pluggable cable. I hate coiled cable -- it always gets in the way. I love nice, long straight cable -- can run it moderate distances and walk around the room without dealing withi another connector/extension/etc. The 770Pro 80 gives me a nearly ideal impedance, non-coiled cable, and just generally beatiful sound.

John

Dave Mac likes this.
  19. timind

timind phorum rezident

If you need closed back, look at the Beyerdynamic DT770 premium version. I had them hanging next to my 99os and sold them as I could barely tell the difference. One thing I forgot to mention about the Beyers vs Senns. Beyerdynamics are the most comfy headphones I've owned. But once again, this is highly personal.

Also should mention, I had a pair of the NADs DonnyMe mentioned. Excellent headphones for price. My only issue with them was long term comfort.

20. John Dyson

Thank you for the 'heads-up' about the 990s being very similar to the 770s... That is good to know. The various review/specification sites seem to 'write' about the 990s might be more accurate -- but if you (and others) generally hear that they are similar, then there is no benefit in trying the 990s. I am NOT a golden-ears, but for what limited high end hearing that I have, my hearing is super-acute. I can hear (and want to hear) the smallest nit that I can perceive because of my audio processing projects (BTW, I enjoy the music also :)).

Thanks again for that 'heads-up'.
    John

21. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

You should check out the Sony MDR-1AM2. I picked up a pair yesterday. Very comfortable and I like what I’ve heard so far.

22. timind

timind phorum rezident

If that's your situation, I feel confident in saying the Senns, as wonderful as they are for music listening, they aren't what you're looking for. You might look at the pro version of the DT770. Although I found the DT990 pro version way too detailed for my listening taste, it may suit yours.

23. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

The Wall of Fame gives you the best in all categories. My Sennheiser HD 600 are still on the list in their category (over ear, open). The HiFiMAN HE400S also make the list and at the reduced price will likely be the next headphones I buy.

InnerFidelity's "Wall of Fame"

24. John Dyson

Yes -- the DT770 Pro 80 is exactly what I have... I am always looking for an alternative (but accurate) sound -- maybe a slghtly different emphasis might help me pick up other kinds of audio problems. As it is now, I am even dependent on looking at spectrum analyzer (and other analysis -- I write such tools also when needed.) output to make sure that the behavior above 14kHz is sane.

But, I agree that for now, the DT770 Pro80 is wonderful. Frankly, from a music enjoyment standpoint, the musical picture presented is wonderfully difficult to believe. I didn't know that headphones could be so very clear and 'pretty' sounding at the same time. Ohhh... I see that you are in Brownsburg -- I am in Fishers. Used to work at Bell Labs in Indy (and a few other places like NAFI/now Raytheon -- where the early/photographic cruise missle guidance patents were obtained -- my boss back in the 1970s was the main inventor!!!, incl Thomson/Technicolor later on. Also worked at WFMS in high school, where the station owner knew Thomas A. Edison pretty well when he was young.) I am kind of a technology Forrest Gump in some ways :). I can tell you more stories like that -- but no-one really cares...

LEONPROFF likes this.
  25. Joyoo

Joyoo Senior Member

Someday I will get a better copy, untill that time this will do: Neil Young - Tonight's The Night (1975, Dutch pressing)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.