How Well Do You Sing? Share Your Stories From Childhood to Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue. Thread Starter

I used to be quite shy and would sing privately until recently. Part of my problem was that I love the Beatles and wanted to sing like them. I now understand that my range is bass baritone.

As long as I don’t expect to sing like Paul, or John I’m okay. When at university, I would sing Rolling Stones songs because it was easier for me. That was a great quality about the Stones, they were accessible to us mortals.

I am now comfortable to sing reasonably well to anyone who cares to listen. It has taken me a long time.

How about you?

Silksashbash likes this.
  2. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

How is the thread title typo "NowAs lond" supposed to read?

George P and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

I couldn't carry a note with a handle. I love to sing though.

4. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

Well I sing 2nd tenor in our church choir. I didn't think I was good enough to be in a choir, but my girlfriend at the time heard me singing to myself and told me I needed to be in her choir. That was 30 years ago. If that wasn't enough I was visiting a church with my parents and when we finished singing the opening hymns a lady turned around and told me I was one of the best singers she had heard and wanted me to sing a solo for them! I was shocked, but a few weeks later was convinced to sing a simple solo. I will close by saying that singing in our choir has helped me to be a better singer, both in understanding what I'm singing and how I'm singing. It has also expanded my musical background in that we sing music ranging from Palestrina to modern composers.

c-eling, John B and Murph like this.
  5. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I thought maybe the thread title had something to do with the loudness wars! :hide:

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

My mum has a reel to reel of me singing hearbreak hotel when i was about 5.
    I sing all the time and have no ability to stop it. I sing pretty well and always ended up singing in the bands i was in ... i started off just wanting to play guitar in bands.
    My main problem was always nerves and it never went away. Just sometimes its worse than others. Public speaking, no problem, public performance anxiety plus lol

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Strat-Mangler and mcchocchoc like this.
  7. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Yes, how? @John B , please fix this?

8. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I was formerly a choir boy with a pretty decent soprano. Then puberty hit. My singing is relegated to the shower and my steering wheel

Elizabeth M likes this.
  9. I could sing fairly well as a child...but when I approached NowAs lond, the Elder Gods struck me low, and now I can no longer find proper pitch.

Murph likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

As a late comer ... i was forty ... i found singing and playing in church very difficult at first because as a rock singer i was used to freeforming somewhat, and in church it's about laying it down in such a way that everyone sings together.
    I was never going to sing in church but as soon as it got out that i was a musician, the call came.
    Great times, especially putting on rock shows at youth camps they kind of didn't expect that. Had the place bouncing and screaming along with us.

John B and Silksashbash like this.
  11. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I was sort of like you and quite shy about my voice which is pretty deep.
    Last year I took singing lessons which gave me a lot of confidence. My wife, who is often my sharpest critic in things like this, thought my acapella rendition of "Are You Lonesome Tonight", the first song I worked on, was worthy of her applause.
    I still don't really sing for audiences but I do sing more often and more loudly these days.

John B likes this.
  12. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I'm a superstar...in my shower.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  13. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

I sing fairly well, a much better player of instruments though.
    Always enjoyed singing from an early age and was involved in such activites all through school growing up. Always recording crazy stuff on boom boxes, cass 4trks, etc. Sang lead vocals in about half of the bands I've been involved with since the mid80s. Fun stuff.

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I sing great as long as it's double-tracked and some nice reverb added. :shh:

15. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

well I was an artist, a singer/songwriter for most of my life. I sang in choir in high school and church and was lead in several high school musicals. I had a point right after the turn of the century when I became a bit of an indie icon. My voice was always a point of contention, some people really hate it. I was also called the king of harmonies. More often than not, girls like my voice while guys do not. At the present I have basically given up on my musical dream but may come back as a white soul singer someday. :)

16. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

I sing my originals just fine. :D Otherwise I can be hit or miss on harmonies when I do the cover band thing with friends. Good loud monitors on stage are key (pun intended). ;)

(Oh, and thanks for fixing the thread title!)

17. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I was and still am terrible of singing voice! I was allowed to stay in the church choir because my family did so much work for the church, However, it was under the condition set by the nuns that I lip sync. I wore my choir boy outfit and was a pretender. This was in the late 1940's and early 1950's.

John B likes this.
  18. Silksashbash

Silksashbash Forum Resident

I didn't use to be able to sing in tune at all. I've made a lot of progress after years of practicing along with the guitar and learning about scales and intervals. I still have to learn to play every melody on the guitar before I can sing it.

My range used to be barely over one octave, in the low register, but just a few years ago I found where the high notes come from. That was really exciting. I can do two octaves now.

My voice is still not too good, but it really feels nice to be able to somehow carry a tune. I've even sung live on a few occasions. I wouldn't be able to keep a crowd interested for a whole show, but as a guitarist I can sing the occasional song or two.

John B likes this.
  19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I was in a church boys choir when I was 8-9 years old-soprano. I was supposed to sing a solo piece, but for a reason I can't remember, that never happened.
    I was in two bands in my early to mid twenties. By then I was a baritone. I wasn't the lead singer, I played guitar. I sang lead on a couple songs with each band.
    Since then the occasional karaoke. I don't think my voice is nearly as good as it was years ago. I'm 62.

John B likes this.
  20. I can't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow. I stopped trying long ago.

CCrider92 and Shaddam IV like this.
  21. mark winstanley

sadly time wears us down mate

ibanez_ax likes this.
  22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Yes indeed. I don't think I'm even karaoke worthy at this point.

23. mark winstanley

it's all about the heart mate..... well people's ears have rights i guess lol

ibanez_ax likes this.
  24. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I think my last moment of "glory" was 4 years ago. My friend rented a house in North Carolina for a wedding on the beach. Awesome weekend, but I digress.
    The bride's brother in law brought his guitar and two night before the wedding played and sang a bunch of songs. He played "Behind Blue Eyes". I couldn't resist-I had to sing along.
    Everyone there seemed to like it. Or maybe we were all drunk.

25. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

I sing just well enough to write and have taken a few lead vocals. I arrange and record background vocals pretty decently.

But I've never had the range or strength to front a band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.