Cinemax series "Quarry"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by agentalbert, Sep 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Line of Duty, Bosch, & Animal Kingdom

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Must admit Quarry is better than I originally thought ( after a couple of episodes)kudos for locations, which I've never seen before. The period detail is about 90% correct like stepping back into 1972 . Were Big Star ⭐️ that popular in Memphis then?
    Only lasted one season, why?

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. alexpop

Not that keen on Brit tv crime shows, though did like The Bill years ago( Operation Goodguys copshow was amusing).

4. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I thought you liked Peaky Blinders?

5. alexpop

No! Not me.

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Sorry, thought that was your show!

7. alexpop

Breaking Bad, si.

8. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Tellyawhat, I don't think I can possibly be the only ATT/Uverse subscriber here but it sure feels like it sometimes. Thru that service I get the Audience Network. And they've been on a steady roll, putting out one quality series after another. I can easily recommend Mr. Mercedes, Kingdom, Rectify, and Ice, all of 'em are excellent. These shows rarely, if ever, get mentioned around here. In a few weeks Condor, a series connected to the Day of The Condor book/movie is starting. It stars William Hurt so I'm all in!;)

9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I've been trying to track down Ice since you mentioned it earlier. Not available in Canada. Rectify is the only one we get on Netflix, which I still need to watch.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've started watching Quarry. I'm two thirds of the way through episode 1 (had to stop due to family stuff). Very different from the books! I'll finish the episode but may not go farther.

11. alexpop

Will worth sticking with it.

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Rectify is one of the best I've ever seen, very very highly recommended!

Brenald79 and GodShifter like this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Thanks I have added it to my list shows to watch!

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

“Rectify” is very good.

rogertheshrubber, fabre and Brenald79 like this.
  15. Lonson

I'm not sure. I finished the first episode and may or may not go further. Just too far in tone and content from the source material, of which I'm fond having read them over a few decades.

It's just a thing for me. . . I know that may not be an issue for others. For example many like amazon's "The Man in the High Castle." I'm a huge Philip K. Dick fan, and I just can't get into that series, it's tone and content are so different from the Dick novel and I'd love to see a series more faithful to the original, fail to be interested in this re-imagining.

16. alexpop

Well the book is usually better than the film. Hard to top the novel. I sticked with the series as I liked the period location.

17. Lonson

I lived through the 'Seventies. Once was enough. ;)

18. alexpop

Pretty awful decade. :D

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Gotta say, not watching something/anything solely due to it not following it's original source material can lead to missing out! I'm a life-long book reader and totally agree that 99.9% of the time, books crush the competition BUT....We could start a new thread about shows/movies that deviate from the books, happens all the time. IMO, not watching for this reason seems like cutting yr nose to spite yr face!;)

20. Lonson

Well, I did watch the initial episode, so I'm making a judgment that is at least a little educated. Time is a premium for me and I don't feel like spending it on this show right now. No show is for everyone. I can afford to miss one or two. Thanks for your "advice."

alexpop likes this.
  21. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

I watched this recently and was really surprised how good it was. I didn't know much before so it was kind of a lucky bag for me. I was flying over the thread here and saw that many people where disappointed that the show didn't come back for a second season. While I think the cast was great, I think the ending with Mac sitting on the bank of the Mississippi River and finally doing what he's doing leaves room for interpretation in all directions - both hope and closure.

In the end I think it is nice to see an interesting story told in a detailed way that doesn't drag on forever. That's why I enjoy all these mini-tv-shows with 4 or 6 episoders on BBC or those with just 1 season. However, I was really disappointed when "Rubicon" was cancelled.

22. alexpop

What’s Cinemax strike back like ?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  23. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I only lasted 1 season. It’s like a Clive Cussler book was made into series.

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

No good then I guess?

25. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I thought S1 was average like later seasons of 24. I may not have given it a fair chance. I’d be impressed if anyone binged all seasons of SB including Strike Back: Origins.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.