'The Beach Boys With The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra,' to be released on June 8!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yorick, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It's a little funky on the Elvis ones, particularly when new singers or a new drummer were involved.

2. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

starduster likes this.
  3. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Actually, I think that the Sammy Maudlin clip will be better than this upcoming album...

rswitzer likes this.
  4. Many rock and pop bands have used orchestral music effectively in the initial creation of a song. Once the song is finished, I can't think of a single instance where the slathering on of additional orchestral sounds has resulted in anything but degradation.

Brian Wilson used the Wrecking Crew and whoever other musicians he brought in, plus The Beach Boys to get exactly the sounds he wanted. He doesn't need any second guessing from outsiders.

willy, zobalob, Tord and 2 others like this.
  5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Mount Vernon & Fairway, the 1973 Beach Boys fairy tale radio play, is ripe for rejiggering and new orchestrations for Volume 2 of this BB/orchestra partnership.

6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to hearing 'in my room'.... hope they do something like this and not
    overdo it:

Lonesurf and NYMets41 like this.
  7. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

Not totally against the project.
    Kokomo will be fine, introduction to Cali Girls, the Pet Sounds stuff and gv.

But why another best of ? It could have been more adventurous. With songs from Friends, SMiLE, Love You, Holland and even That's Why God Made The Radio.

Another missed oppportunity.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

a lot of us would agree, but it's a 'The Beach Boys' (aka Mike Love) driven project... you know what stuff he prefers and
    what he can use to waffle on about at his shows. I bet Brian and Al and the Estate of Carl have nothing to do with it.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  9. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I Know but Mike Love can be surprising at several shows by putting deep tracks amongst the hits. I believe he isn't the villain he is supposed to be.

AJK74 and JamesD1957 like this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

I never said he was a Villain.

NYMets41 likes this.
  11. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Perhaps he forgot to meditate before the interview?

gottafeelin and oldsurferdude like this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

Mike has always done what he thinks is best in 'The Beach Boys' interest.
    He has had an equal part in the success of the group whether people like him or not.

edit: and i'll go one step further, if it weren't for him, the group probably would
    have died decades ago. He is one of the best front persons of a band, and again,
    whether you like him or not.

goodiesguy, DRM, Shak Cohen and 4 others like this.
  13. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Rick, I'm a fan of your posts even though we may at times have different takes on certain aspects of the group. In this case however I have to present some counterpoint. It's well known that I'm certainly not a fan of the lovester, therefore, in response, I'll add that:
    1. I do not feel he had an "equal" part in the success of the group. He had a part early on but nowhere as an equal.
    2. The group's decline had already been in progress when Dennis passed away and after Carl passed, and after Al was ****canned by Mike, there wasn't much left. Brian's interest in the group had been on the wane for years. It would have made more sense for the group to call it a day rather than go on with one original Beach Boy as the legitimate Beach Boys.
    3. There was a thread on here or somewhere else about frontmen. Mike, after most of the comments were posted, wasn't even mentioned. Why? Because he like to annoyingly flap his jaws in between songs. Concertgoers do not appreciate someone who likes to hear himself talk incessantly not to mention the dumb jokes. As I or someone else said, he was at best a carnival barker and not a good one.

14. Rick Bartlett

Yes Sir, excellent explanation... I can't write a proper response to what I think right now, but I understand and I too enjoy
    your posts. In another hour, I will analyse and give my deeper thoughts.
    I actually really dig your posts too!
    Rick

15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

The band did die decades ago, and he merely kept it on life support. But then, he was a one trick pony, and not particularly talented, or creative, so what else was he going to do.

16. Rick Bartlett

good observation, so when exactly do you think this happened?

17. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I shouldn’t ask but ...

How would you even know this??

How would you know a man’s motives behind decision making process without knowing him both personally and very well?

He publicly revealed the diagnosis that makes your post to be, politely, a most optimistic stretch.

Here’s insight into what his wife has lived with.

Listen to what he says over the years, including Bob Dylan’s response at RR HOF where he thanked Love for not mentioning him.

This is a well respected author

12 Things Narcissists Think

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  18. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I love The Beach Boys and Mike Love’s singing voice.

When he speaks, he makes me cringe.

I try to edit out his self absorbed comments on FLAC files on the live boots.

19. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yeah...and that RRHoF diatribe, where he went on a rant, having the audacity to question the motives and character of those he's not even in the same league with.
    While I appreciate and acknowledge the genius of Brian, sadly....I find much of their music unlistenable, due to Mike Loves vocals. I would of written off the Beach Boys completely, had it not been for a McCartney interview I read when I was kid, and he praise he bestowed upon "Pet Sounds". I immediately picked it up and was pleasantly surprised.

Crimson jon and oldsurferdude like this.
  20. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

Mike Love voice early Beach Boys? The harmonies are something unique.

Age takes its toll. Lots of high pitch doesn’t age well.

Dylan’s growl seemed to improve w age after a brief “pipsqueach” stage.

I love Johnny Cash’ last years albums.

Mike Love’s voice now can get whiny but back on the day, fit in beautifully.

starduster likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

your comments make no sense to mine at all. I don't know what your talking about.
    oldsurferdude made some excellent points which I hope to address in terms of discussion.
    what do you mean 'how would you even know this?'
    what exactly do you mean?
    "He publicly revealed the diagnosis that makes your post to be, politely, a most optimistic stretch"....
    I'm starting to think we are talking about different bands....
    you are talking about The Beach Boys right?

22. I realize that it's popular to blame Mike Love for everything bad related to The Beach Boys but Mike can't legally put out any "Beach Boys" labeled product without the approval of Brother Records (Mike, Brian, Al and the estate of Carl Wilson).

Personally I blame Yoko Ono. :winkgrin:

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  23. Rick Bartlett

Yes, that's right, but only Mike is 'driving' The Beach Boys as he has done for years, and keeping the name alive, he also has the touring licence approved by all to do that.

24. Rick Bartlett

and if I may......... if this is not a Mike 'so called' project as I say, where is Al, where is Brian, where are Jonah or Justin
    commenting in the promo video's for this project? Not a single word, or even the auxillary fella Bruce.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  25. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Brian has been promoting it (and everything else he is up to) on Facebook.

Shak Cohen and Rick Bartlett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.