"Should I file ABWH under Yes?" and other extremely OCD filing stuff

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Judge Judy, Mar 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

I'm okay with my filing, but my "T" section is getting too big. You know, like The Allman Brothers Band, The Four Tops, The Jeff Beck Group, The Rolling Stones, The Temptations, The Band, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Neville Brothers. I just don't know.

supersquonk likes this.
  2. Interesting that you put the Moraz/Bruford albums under Bruford (as do I) given that those seem far more driven by Moraz's writing than by Bill's. In my case, it may have been because they were on E'G or because I got them when I was following Bill's "line" and looking for stuff on which he played.

ytserush likes this.
  3. So do you file BLUE under Bruford or under Levin? Tony was the nominal leader of that project.

4. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

I put Moraz/Bruford under Yes since they were both with Yes.

Pretty much all off-shoot stuff goes with the more famous group. Adrian Belew goes with King Crimson, all the solo Beatles go with Beatles, Plant goes with Zeppelin, etc. Makes it easier to find.

intv7 and yesstiles like this.
  5. Just to spite people here, I'm thinking of re-filing my 43-lp Yes and Yes-solo album collection under Elias, Jonathan.

ytserush likes this.
  6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I do it with some artists, but not others. There's no rhyme or reason to it except that I try to base it on where I'd go first when looking. Then it all blows up in my face when I go somewhere else first and panic that I've lost things.

dUg Pinnick's solo stuff is under his name and not with King's X. Most of his side projects are filed under his name too. Supershine, KXM, Tres Mts etc.

ytserush likes this.
  7. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Levin.

But I'm conflicted because I have Levin in L because he's involved in a ton of projects, but my interest in Levin initially comes from Gabriel and King Crimson so if if I use Crimson as a major hub Levin and Bruford should go there. But Bruford was also in Yes and UK as well as his own band so......

8. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

This hits too close to home. I've temporarily "lost" CDs myself.

All the solo/other projects go at the end alphabetically/chronologically after Kings X.

9. Maybe B.L.U.E. should be filed in the "T" section, just after David Torn's "Cloud About Mercury."

ytserush likes this.
  10. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

I have all solo albums filed seperately, so ABWH gets filed in the "yes + related" section of that.

11. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

30th anniversary later this month...different band, but "tempus fugit" indeed!

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

How is it, one files A Flock Of Seagulls under "F", but I can't help but file A Fine Frenzy, under "A" (the artists' name comes from a Shakespeare quote)...

You file The Thrillers under "T"...but you file The Threetles, under "B"! :wtf:

Inara George has two solo albums...but they all go right after "The Bird And The Bee" in my collection - even the one she recorded before she joined with Greg Kurstin to form The Bird And The Bee.

Her dad Lowell has one solo album, and, you know why it's filed under "L"! ;) BUT, his earlier band's work is usually found under "Z"

Tracey Thorn has four solo albums...but they all go right after "Everything But The Girl" in my drawer (for that matter, so does Ben Watts' entire "Buzzin' Fly" label output...)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  13. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Sort by basic genre in chronological order.

Then you can logically mix all your Crimson, Genesis, and Yes related stuff without batting an eye.

14. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Some programs, like MediaMonkey, give you the option to ignore "The" when it comes to sorting. My Walkman (NW-A45) does the same thing when it comes to sorting by artist.

15. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

I was being facetious. But thank you. :)

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I originally filed my digital Santana collection under the main folder Rock&Pop.
    But recently created a new folder titled Latin (with Cuban music things like Buena Vista Social Club, Bossa Nova stuff etc.) and moved the Santana folder to there. I don't know if that was the right decision though.^^

17. Vic333

Vic333 Forum Resident

I fill the "Artist" tag as Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe and fill the "Album Artist" tag with "Yes".
    Compilation albums dedicated to a single band/artist's work is done that way as well. So, if it's an album of all Beach Boys songs, the Album Artist of filled as Beach Boys. Each individual song is listed as the performing artist.

18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's what I do too, as long as it an album identifiable as by an artist/act. As an example, I have an album named Duets by Petula Clark which features duets by Petula with other artists. Due to this I enter the duet pairs (such as "Petula Clark And Gilbert O'Sullivan") in the "Artist" but the "Album Artist" is "Petula Clark." I enter "Various Artists" in "Album Artist" when it is a compilation without a common artist/act.

Vic333 likes this.
  19. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I keep mine under "A." It is next to "The Friends of Mr. Cairo." I realize I could have filed that under "Vangelis" But since it is "Jon and Vangelis" then I figured I should file it under "A." Being there, it is pretty close to "Aphrodite's Child" but far away from other Vangelis titles. I keep thinking I should keep a copy in each place, but then, that makes no sense to have duplicates within the filing system that live in two different places. My first instinct is always to be alphabetical, and I will look there first. I mean Paul McCartney and Wings isn't filed with The Beatles in my collection, that just doesn't make sense to me. It also brings to mind the potential messes you have to contend with with a performer like Rod Stewart who was a solo performer, sang with Jeff Beck, was in The Faces, etc. Anyway, by keeping it purely alphabetical I can avoid all those emotional thoughts about where things go because of the relationship one artist has to another, or to a group. Page and Plant is filed under "P" not "L" as they do not constitute Led Zeppelin. Same with Robert's solo stuff. But, being OCD about this stuff is not a bad thing. If you are like me, it makes you kind of ritualistic, and I'll bet your records are as nice and clean as mine are. Goes with the territory.

20. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Tried that once. My girlfriend said it would never work. She suggested by spine colour. I figured it would so gave it a go. About 800 LP's in all. Didn't keep it that way for long. Despite knowing the year of the LP I was looking for, it seemed to take ages and sometimes I couldn't find it for ages. Perhaps I never gave it time enough for me to get used to it. It's back to alphabetical chronological (for) now.

I'd put ABWH in amongst the Yes.
    I've all Tom Petty's stuff (solo, Heartbreakers, Mudrutch) all in release order.
    Clapton seperate from Cream.
    Alice Cooper is all in 'C'.
    I'm just deciding whether to put all the Queen and Mercury, May & Taylor stuff in chronological order.
    Neil Young just goes chronological despite which band he's playing with.

altaeria likes this.
  21. KAJ1971

Where does Booker T. & The MG's go? Does Booker T. Jones go after those or under 'J' on it's own?

22. KAJ1971

I put the Palace Brothers with Bonnie Prince Billy under 'B' with the Matt Sweeney LP in the chronological order it came in. Only have a few so it's not too complicated!

23. KAJ1971

Tin Machine is easy as I don't have any Bowie, unless you think I should put under 'B'? :D

24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I put Tin Machine in the "T's", but, in my Collectorz database, I have it alphabetized in the "B's".

No way I'd ever put Cream in with Clapton. It was more Jack Bruce's band, and I have at least one solo album by him.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  25. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Agreed on both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.