Ornette Coleman "The Atlantic Years" 10-LP Box Set (May 11, 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

No one ever said they were compilations of previously issued material! In fact, they were originally compilations of UNISSUED material!

2. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I don't think that's what most folks would understand by 'compilation' unqualified, just trying to clarify...

patrickd likes this.
  3. pghmusiclover

If you look those albums up on Wikipedia, they describe them as compilations! Apologies for the confusion, but I was going by what I read.

4. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Never heard of The Legacy record.

5. pghmusiclover

This Heat likes this.
  6. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

7. pghmusiclover

8. wd45

wd45 Forum Resident

Can someone shed some light on what they mean by "replica European-style 1960s jackets" on the Rhino site? Will these look like the jackets on the Beatles mono reissues?

Love the attention to detail and quality of the jackets on the Coltrane mono set--nice, heavy tip-on style. I ordered the Ray Charles, assuming they would be the same, but they are WAAAAY cheaper and flimsy. I was bummed when I opened that set up.

I'm up in the air on this set -- I have a mono Free Jazz, a Q-LP of Shape of Jazz to Come, and an original stereo of Ornette! I have most of the rest, but as cheap Scorpio reissues.

9. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

10. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

It's at a pretty good price now...Do these type of sets usually go up or down once they've been released? I ordered the Bowie ANCIANT box set on Amazon.ca a few months ago, and now I see it's gone down $50, so I'm a bit weary. :sigh:

11. fuzzbo

fuzzbo Forum Resident

There will probably be some price fluctuation, but I don't know how to figure out the particulars. The Camel website is pretty interesting for tracking the pricing history of items sold on Amazon. Here's the link for the John Coltrane mono boxset: The Atlantic Years In Mono (6LP Boxset w/7" Single) by John Coltrane (B01C7W7KX8)

oldjollymon and Zach Johnson like this.
  12. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Apologies if I missed this somewhere in this thread, but are these Stereo or Mono (or a mix of both) reissues?

13. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I'm going to stick with my Beauty is a Rare Thing CD box, but I just have to mention that, however you get it, this is some of the best music ever recorded.

JHC3 and Instant Dharma like this.
  14. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

15. aintgotnoclock

aintgotnoclock Forum Resident

Any thoughts on the remaster? Just starting a listen to the high-resolution Web download myself.

16. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yeah I am curious to hear a review before purchasing. I have the ORG versions of some of these.

17. wonky

wonky Forum Resident

Got my box today (preordered birthday present). Covers look and feel good, vinyl is reasonably flat and could not detect any pressing problems, visually inspecting all of them. Some smudges, nothing dramatic. No lined inner sleeves.

I know this music only from the "beauty is a rare thing"cd-boxset, which i got over 20 years ago. I haven't heard these cd's on my current system, but i can at first listen(one side) say: i have not heard this music so spacious, smooth and relaxed before (breaking in wharfedfale dentons at the moment, which might help with this). Anyway great quality all around!

RiRiIII and scotti like this.
  18. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Great to hear, nice birthday present! But am I the only one that is getting tired of these companies putting out such nice box sets and not using rice paper style inner sleeves? This is not some cheap new vinyl release...

Sneezyachew and Tommyboy like this.
  19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No, you’re not the only one. I don’t why they skimp on the inner sleeves. How much extra is the cost? They might as well go all the way for a lavish box set!

scotti likes this.
  20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Thanks for posting your first impressions on the SQ. This is good.

On a side note, are the sleeves nicely made (the way the Coltrane mono are, tip-on type, or modern cheap looking like the Ray Charles mono?). Thanks!

21. wonky

wonky Forum Resident

i bought the coltrane monos as single LPs, not the box set. The coleman covers are as nice but different from my coltranes: cardboard is a little bit thinner and they have flipbacks or whatever it's called, like the beatles monos. Reproduction Quality is good, with "This is our music" and "ornette" you can easily see, that it is a scan. Free Jazz is a Gatefold. As i said they feel and look very nice, nothing that would worry me.

22. thejammy

thejammy Forum Resident

Does the Free Jazz cover have the die cut opening?

23. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

While I understand the appeal of AAA vinyl from a purist standpoint, for records like the Coleman, Coltrane, and Mingus Atlantics -- and the most popular Blue Notes -- I feel like we need to accept the fact that all-analogue product is not going to happen again, not on a mass-market scale. The original tapes were made in 1959, 1960, and 1961, and have been played and remastered many times. They are a part of our cultural heritage I don't think it's even responsible from a corporate-citizenship standpoint in 2018 to take (or lend) out and use such tapes for reissue campaigns when an adequate hi-res digital transfer is available.

And if the masters are kept safe but safety copies are used instead to create an AAA product, I fail to see the point of the endeavor.

Tommyboy and thejammy like this.
  24. wonky

wonky Forum Resident

Yes

25. ThomasL

ThomasL Forum Resident

Nice looking box! I have all the lps (except Legacy) so I'll probably pass.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.