Statement on artist compensation in the digital age from Neil Young's Archive site.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., May 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

You're not describing the general music fan. You're describing posters on this forum.

starduster likes this.
  2. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Well and that's part of what Neil Young might be saying. That the real talent, and I have not listened to the Steepwater Band so don't know if they are, do not have a chance. And why is that?
    Apologists for today's music conditions are not honest about what those conditions are. I think most artists with something to say would be put off before even starting. There is simply no outlet for it. In the majors or indies.

3. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I would love to have a conversation about the artists you claim to be so significant, but you seem to want to avoid doing that. Perhaps because objectively, these artists fail to make a mark past their period of initial hype.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  4. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

And yet more records are released every Friday than ever before.

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Of course you would.

Just like I'm sure you've scanned through the Best Of threads here for 2017/2018 and have been sampling them.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Bobguitar

Bobguitar Forum Resident

Wow you are one kick **** group. Really like your music

7. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Thank you.

Ryan Lux, Terry and Bobguitar like this.
  8. Bobguitar

Bobguitar Forum Resident

Where can I buy some of your music?

9. telepicker97

Well, gimme a bit and I'll see if I can't upload the new stuff up on Bandcamp.

Our (old) EP is available on CD Baby, and we have free live downloads on archive.org

I appreciate the support. We're really trying to get a new LP together...

Shak Cohen and Bobguitar like this.
  10. Bobguitar

Bobguitar Forum Resident

Ok thanks bro much appreciate

11. telepicker97

Likewise! Really glad you dig it

Ryan Lux and Bobguitar like this.
  12. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Kind of... they both mark a new era in each artists career, if not a new decade.

13. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I don't second guess Neil's choices concerning previously-released material. If I want a newly-remastered CD to replace my old one, or if I want to buy a CD because it has one song on it I don't already have, that's my choice and I am not a victim of Neil or of the "industry".

telepicker97 likes this.
  14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Well, that's why the people who do it long-term, whether we're talking about the pre-Internet era or not, are doing it because they basically have a need to. It's nice when you can make money doing it, too, but most long-termers would be doing it whether they would be making money with it or not. For someone who can tolerate doing a "normal job" and who doesn't have a need to make music no matter what, trying to make a living by playing music is a pretty ridiculous thing to bother with.

Ryan Lux and Syscrusher like this.
  15. telepicker97

Fair enough.

16. telepicker97

Well, Neil himself remastered his catalog and has been re-releasing old albums, unreleased albums, and new albums, so...

What were we talking about?

deredordica likes this.
  17. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I would say that power was ok in the hands of the record label because they were marketing their product that they created in a legal contract with the artists, and trying to raise its visibility and commercial viability. Your post seems to indicate that the power has now been put in the hands of "the people" but that's not true. It's been put in the hands of big data companies like Google that monopolistically advertise EVERYTHING and they actually create nothing but data about "the people" which they use as private property. If for any reason they want to bury an artist's work, they can. And do.

lee59 likes this.
  18. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I now realize the original post IS what he found on Neil's website lol
    I do apologize!!

John Porcellino likes this.
  19. Bobguitar

Bobguitar Forum Resident

I went to CD Baby and the Hometone EP is on its way. Awesome song 30 miles from Houston cause I live 30 miles from Houston lol

20. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

The point is that it's much more difficult to sell recorded music now than before when you couldn't listen to and grab files for free.

lee59 likes this.
  21. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I dont know what a poat is, but u had it right many poats ago.

These bands r opening for headliners u might like, they're on tv shows, they're at festivals past the top couple lines, in rock clubs in your area, not to mention plenty of artists rattle off plenty of names of newer talent that have caught their ears.
    You do have to keep your ears, eyes, mind open, and be willing to get out of the house and put a few bucks down to support live music at that level.
    (IMO)

Gaslight likes this.
  22. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

oh come on, you might as well show stats to display the population growth.

TS582 likes this.
  23. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

It’s not the shaft. Masses are not attracted to their music enough to buy it. Sure they may pack them in at venues, however, if every person at the venue (assuming they are the headliner) purchased a album, the Sales would not be mind blowing unless they are filling 20,000 seat areas on a long tour.

24. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Much do to the fact you can sample recordings much more easily. Much of the downfall of actual full length albums is due to the fact one can sample every song rather than having faith based on hit singles

25. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

No. I was only responding to the posters comments about the need for an artist to be on a major label in today's world. Since most of the real artist development talent has retired or moved on, being on a label anymore is like having a line of credit with someone telling you how to spend it.

The economic point behind Young's post is that when there is not enough demand for music (and that means $$, not your appreciation for it) then the supply of new artists will eventually dry up. At least the ones that expect to make a living off music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.