Han Solo Anthology Film - "Solo: A Star Wars Story"*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting example. There are characters where it feels like any number of people could play them, and characters where it feels like the actor is the character.

Chris Evans has done a fine job as Captain America, but it would not be a huge challenge to find another handsome, wholesome, fit actor who could embody the character in an equally effective way.

On the other hand Tony Stark, as a movie character anyway, feels pretty inseparable from Robert Downey Jr.... his mannerisms, his delivery, his entire insouciant screen persona. MCU Tony isn’t the original incarnation of the character but Downey’s interpretation is the reason a second tier Marvel hero the average moviegoer was kind of aware of, became iconic and the cornerstone of a franchise that at this point rivals Star Wars. Anyone who plays the character in the future will have Downey hanging over them in a way the Spider-Mans do not. And yet, he’s not the first version of Iron Man and he won’t be the last.

Han Solo is somewhere in between I think...it was hard for people to imagine someone else playing him not because Harrison Ford was so unique, but because he was charismatic to a point that seemed impossible to equal. I’d say replacing Hugh Jackman as Wolverine would be a comparable challenge... even though he’s not exactly the Wolverine from the comics.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Vidiot, sunspot42 and David Campbell like this.
  2. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

It would do Marvel/Disney some good for themselves and fans if they put the Captain & Tony Stark in timeout for a few years. Maybe a cameo appearance in the end of Phase 4 but, that's it until the next phase. Ironman would be the easiest surprise appearance since it's 90% CGI.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

David Campbell and Michael Rose like this.
  4. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

5. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I agree, and I'm not saying at all they will recast Tony Stark or Steve Rogers anytime soon, nor should they. However at some point, 10,20,30 years from now, someone will want to bring back those characters in some fashion and that will require a recast, and when they do, they won't just hire a RDJ double and have him do an impersonation of him, they will hire a guy who vaguely fits the physical characteristics of Tony Stark the comic book character and let that new actor make the role his own. That's the only way to go.

That's all Lucasfilm has done with Solo, and if people would actually watch the movie and Alden's performance rather than complain sight unseen that their pet youtube impersonator choice didn't get the job, they'd realize that there is indeed just enough of Harrison's Han in there that makes it belivable it's the same character. Who freaking cares if their voices don't sound exactly the same? By that measure, should Roger Moore had been rejected because he didn't look and sound exactly like Sean Connery? Of course not.

The mentality I'm seeing that the characters from the original Star Wars movies should somehow be completely off limits unless you by some miracle find a look alike and sound alike that isn't trying to impersonate the previous actors, is frankly selfish and a bit childish. If someone wants to tell new stories of these characters that fit within the narrative already there, why not let them? Why should these characters die with their actors. Should they have retired Superman after George Reeves shot himself? If they had we never would have gotten Chris Reeve, would we?

As someone alluded earlier, if you already can buy laser swords and aliens and all the other ludicrous stuff in Star Wars, but don't have the imagination to accept more than one actor playing the same role over different movies in the course of 40 years unless both actors look alike exactly and sound exactly the same and newer actor doing a straight up impersonation of another actor, then you are probably doing it wrong, or have already made up your mind.

Stormrider77, neo123 and Ghostworld like this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Also this Hans Gruber or whatever his name is, the impersonator, shot himself in the foot by Youtubing his Han Solo impressions. He ruined his chance by becoming known as a MIMIC. if he had come out of the blue as an actor, maybe then.... But I even then I think the casting people would say “wow he really is a dead ringer for Harrison Ford and does a great impression but is that what we want?” And I think that’s the crux of the matter. That’s what you don’t want. As David Campbell said better to let an actor make the role his own. .. Because that’s what gives a performance it’s charm. Who cares who the hell is inside the Chewbacca or Darth Vader suit? We fell in love with Star Wars for the living breathing humans in it. And a pallid imitation of someone else is not magical, it’s phony.

neo123 and David Campbell like this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

But when will smith does Ali you’re seeing mega movie star Will Smith first. Same with Sissy Spacek (maybe because no one looks like her on the screen) or Jamie Fox. I never thought I was watching an imitation of Ali — I was watching Will Smith working at portraying him. Doubles? That always seems as cheap as one of those crime show reenactments.

When a movie star inserts their aura into a biography you’re marveling at the star’s transformation from what you know of them. When an unknown look-alike mimics a character it’s seldom impressive because you sit there thinking “That isn’t what Churchill really looked like’” instead of: “Gary Oldman was amazing, I hardly recognized him!”

neo123 and David Campbell like this.
  8. David Campbell

To be fair to Anthony Ingruber, he himself didn't lobby for the role, it was a fan assumption once a Han Solo film was formally announced that Ingruber was the one and only viable choice based on his impersonations and the fact he did play young Harrison Ford briefly in another movie. When he wasn't picked, the small and loud malcontent portion of the Star Wars fanbase , many of whom had their knives out for this film already, began a couple year temper tantrum that only intensified with the Last Jedi fallout. Suddenly Alden Ehrenreich was automatically deemed horrible because Kathy Kennedy didnt do what the " fans" wanted and cast Ingruber.

I'm not even sure Ingruber seriously even tested for the role. If he did, then he didn't get it based on the fact he would have likely just done a 2 hour Harrison Ford impersonation.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well, he seemed alright in that film where he played a younger version of another Harrison Ford character.

Maybe Disney would have had to hire an acting coach for him.

Oh, wait!

10. David Campbell

For someone who doesn't classify himself a " supporter" of Ingruber for Solo you sure seem a bit salty he didn't get cast. Just saying.

And it's very possible they may have indeed hired an acting coach for Ingruber as well to train him not do a straight up impression or Harrison, because if you read interviews with the Kasdans , you know the writers of this movie, the last thing they wanted was someone to do an impersonation of Harrison Ford.

But...what does the author of this movie and the guy who co-wrote Four out of five cinematic depictions of Han Solo know, right? Us fans know it all!

I know I'm coming off snarky...and i guess i am. It rubs me the wrong way when the fans become so arrogant to act like they know better than those who create these things. Nine times out of ten the hardcore fans don't really know what they want and are just contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.

KAJ1971 likes this.
  11. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I'm not "salty" - just pointing out the ridiculousness of claiming Ingruber (I didn't even know his name until you kept bringing it up) can't act. He seemed fine in that bit from the Harrison Ford film...and they had to call in an acting coach for Solo anyhow, so...

12. David Campbell

Well i never said he couldn't act. He probably can as he is a voice actor. Doesn't mean that just because he looks like Harrison Ford a bit and can do a credible mimic of scenes from A New Hope that automatically makes him the choice for the Han Solo film they wanted to make. For all we know Ingruber did test for it and they just didn't choose him because maybe just maybe he wasn't right for this script they were making and Ehrenreich was? If he was indeed the best choice he would have been cast.

If Ingruber didn't test...well that was up to him. Maybe he didn't want the burden of playing this role. I wouldn't be surprised if he is sitting at home, reading all the internet hubub about all this and is relieved he isn't the one being crusified by the loonies in the Star Wars fanbase. After all i am willing to bet my next paycheck that had Ingruber been cast many of the same people who wanted him would have already turned on him and started bitching that Alden wasn't cast instead.

13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Again, he actually appeared in an actual film as a younger version of a character Harrison Ford played.

Seems fine here. At least he looked and acted the part, which I would think is the fundamental thing for getting butts into seats for a film called Solo.

The box office performance to date seems to be reflecting this obvious observation as well. But we'll see...

Scott222C likes this.
  14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

There are a ton of other factors resulting in a less than stellar opening for Solo other than the actor. But hey, you seem to have a bone to pick.

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I think there are a lot of factors, but this is certainly one of them, and a big one, and denying it seems a bit, I don't know, delusional.

I suspect Ehrenreich might have been a better fit for the role as originally envisioned by Lord & Miller, but that we'll never know.

16. Squealy

I don’t recall anyone getting upset back at the end of the last millennium when Ewan McGregor, who looks nothing whatsoever like Alec Guinness, was cast as Obi-Wan Kenobi.

I think it’s the existence of this supposed Harrison Ford doppelgänger that is throwing off people’s usual thinking about these matters. Never mind that the guy has no other significant acting credits other than that one role (in which, while he does resemble Harrison somewhat, I’d hardly say he has Han Solo-level charisma).

SJP and David Campbell like this.
  17. Squealy

Again... his performance does not seem to be provoking much negative reaction so I don’t know why you’re continuing this campaign against him, especially when you haven’t seen the movie yet. What negative stuff I’ve read seems to be more about the film overall ... whether it needed to be made, is it too fan-fictiony etc.

David Campbell likes this.
  18. David Campbell

I honestly don't think there was any scenario this movie was going to be a record breaking mega hit, even if they somehow went back in time, kidnapped 20 year old Harrison Ford and cast him in this. Even before The Last Jedi controversy Disney seemed to be privately preparing for this movie to underperform. I highly suspect it's genesis was born from trying to secure Larry Kasdan to consult on the sequel trilogy which he wasn't interested in until Lucas and Kennedy dangled the Han Solo movie as a carrot to get him involved. The Mouse and Lucasfilm was probably hoping to make a few bucks off of it too, but it seemed to be an investment in securing Kasdan to help launch these new movies and give some fan service in the meantime.

It would have been more prudent to push this movie back to December, which is looking pretty barren right now. Releasing this movie 6 months after the last Jedi, even if that movie wasnt controversial , was a terrible move. Not to mention it has to compete with two genre hits that are fighting for the same audience. I can guarantee had Disney released Rogue One right after TFA it likely wouldnt have done as well as it did.

The irony is that most people who watched this movie has liked it, even quite a few who hated the Last Jedi seem to like this movie. It's possible good word of mouth may ultimately give it legs. We shail see.

19. Squealy

This movie is coming hard on the heels of three Star Wars movies that divided opinion, each more dramatically than the last. And it was known to be a troubled production. I’m not surprised more people are being cautious about running out to see it, even aside from the skepticism about someone else playing Han Solo.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Saw it today and really enjoyed it. Great popcorn movie. I checked my brain at the door and enjoyed the ride. Very entertaining and all I expected when I took my seat was to be entertained.

21. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I might go.... in a week or two.

sunspot42 likes this.
  22. Squealy

Imagine watching a Star Wars film with that attitude!

23. David Campbell

I wouldn't say TFA and Rogue One divided fandom that much. There were naysayers of course but that's to be expected. The Last Jedi however did. I personally liked TLJ and i think some of the criticism of it is ridiculous, but there's no denying it did ruffle a lot of feathers.

Still i doubt it had a significant effect on how Solo seems to be doing. It probably had a small effect on the opening weekend, but I still think even if TLJ was a crowd pleaser Solo would still be underperforming. I myself wasnt terribly excited for this movie and was slightly skeptical, but after seeing it im glad it was made.

24. David Campbell

I know. He's doing it wrong! ;)

25. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

First SW opening night I've ever missed (well, since 1977) but will still see it this week and am looking forward to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.