CD ripping- Use Win Media Player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

I want to rip CDs in either wave or Flac. Is Windows Media Player appropriate for this? I've read that exact audio copy is better. The important thing is to get a high-quality rip.

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

There are plenty of threads on this. The consensus is to use EAC or dBPowerAmp and rip to FLAC. Both can verify your rips will the AccurateRip database.

lance b likes this.
  3. Guy Gadbois

Ok cool. My drive isnt accessing the database for some reason thru those programs. It will only do it thru Media Player

4. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Which database?

5. Guy Gadbois

The one associated with EAC

6. lance b

lance b Forum Resident

I used EAC and FLAC to rip all my CD's. Have purchased an INTEL NUC mini PC to run it all into the back of my Marantz SA-14S1 SE SACD player using the on board DAC as the DA converter. The INTEL Mini PC model is the NUC6CAYS and it came loaded with Windows 10, I added a 500Gb solid state hard drive and 8Gb or RAM (removing the standard 2Gb). The extra RAM is needed for playing HD on the HD TV. The mini PC is tiny, only about 115mm x 115mm x 40mm. Like this here:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BOXNUC6CAYSAJR-NUC-Kit-NUC6CAYS/dp/B01MXYZ8V5

I use MusicBee as my media player, which is very configurable and works great. MusicBee has a 15 band equalizer if you need to tweak any CD's with a less than favorable frequency response. Now I can sit back and choose any CD, any tune at the click of a mouse and all at original CD quality.

7. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

NO!.......as above :laughup: Music Bee for playing, and EXACT AUDIO COPY (EAC) for ripping,

lance b likes this.
  8. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

I understand the Forum common wisdom of using EAC but, really, ripping CD is so 1990s, by now Microsoft would have, I would think, perfected its ripping software to be error-free. This is a very mature technology. Barring a very defective or damaged CD or an otherwise defective CD reader, shouldn't WMA be able to make a perfect rip? Same for iTunes? What am I missing?

nm_west likes this.
  9. beppe

beppe Forum Resident

No. EAC is the best, and it's free.

10. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Yes, and you mean WMP. If your CDs are in good condition, the result will be the same.

People like the AccurateRip thing, though.

vegafleet likes this.
  11. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Yes, thanks, I meant WMP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.