What is the "thing" that stop cassette, to became like reel to reel?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HDOM, May 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member Thread Starter

you are lucky to have cassette in your car (maybe a old cuban car?) nowdays car use to have usb mp3 players :realmad:

2. HDOM

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Because it was too expensive for most people, not portable, and they did, it was called the Elcaset. Didn't catch on due to very high prices, and expensive tape. And operated at 3 3/4 IPS, and the best cassettes were more than good enough for most buyers. Also, Elcaset didn't fit in car or truck dashboards, and no portable units were ever built.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    HDOM likes this.
  4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It is not a quality deck. Good enough for church sermons and non HiFi use.

DRM likes this.
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I did hear that Tascam these days is a lot like Teac.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

sunspot42 and PooreBoy like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Both owned by Gibson brands, nobody today is making any better cassette deck than one of these at any price you can buy new. Reality!

sunspot42 and DRM like this.
  8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Does the high end analog studio work involve splicing tape like George Martin did for the Beatles?

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, analog users want analog, no DAW involved until mixing and mixing to analog and digital.

10. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Another common studio practice is to track to tape, then dump the tape into protools to preserve the takes and to allow for easier editing.

DRM likes this.
  11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It involves splicing and editing tape. Work in analog professionally, splicing and editing is often involved. So is leadering up your analog master at head, between each track, and at the tail is standard operating practice for cutting lacquer masters.

jusbe and DRM like this.
  13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

This was done in the late 70s. Sony invented its first failed format back then. It was called ElCaset. It was a huge cassette, and it used 1/4" R2R tape and ran at 3.75 ips. It's performance was fantastic, but it failed because most consumers didn't care that much about quality, and those who did either continued to run R2R, or purchased Nakamichi tape decks.

Edit. I see that somebody beat me to the punch.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    jusbe and McLover like this.
  14. HDOM

first tiem i heard about this elcaset :agree:

[​IMG]

DRM likes this.
  15. HDOM

i guess nothing can beat Nakamichi 1000ZXL when we speak about cassette frequency it had a: the 20Hz to 20kHz

[​IMG]

16. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Why?

jusbe and HDOM like this.
  17. HDOM

is sad;

ps. i guess also noby had ever done a remaster from the master tape to cassette, like the so call vinyl:
    Half-Speed Production and Mastering by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Studer's cassette machine can match or beat it, so can ReVox, so could the top of the line Tandbergs when new, and so could the Teac C3. And only met those specs at -20 vu level unlike the best open reels and needed NR to get the signal to noise ratio there. And not as reliable in heavy use either.

jusbe, TarnishedEars and HDOM like this.
  19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

MFSL offered cassettes, real time duplicated, and on BASF Chrome, you were too late for that. Not viable to do today, cost $18 each in the 1980's.

20. TarnishedEars

I bet that this is the first time that a whole lot of people will have heard of this format. Even having lived through this period in history, I cant say that I ever noticed one of these units being displayed new in a store as a kid.

The first time in my life when I encountered one of these machines was in the mid 80s when I purchased an outboard DBX encoder/decoder from a guy who has been using it on his Elcaset machine. I was fascinated, but the format had already been dead for over 5 years.

HDOM likes this.
  21. TarnishedEars

Yeah, I drooled over those machines back when I was a kid. Then I purchased a sample of some of each of these back in the early 200os when nobody wanted them and true steals on old TOTL Nakamichi's and Tandbergs could be had.. I can't say that I actually use these at all anymore though. I really would need to do a full restoration to safely run any of these machines today though.

HDOM likes this.
  22. HDOM

23. HDOM

and also the first time for me to listen to it, at least in youtube :sigh:

i like the bass :waiting:

24. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Excellent specs (and good sound), but not very robust, prone to audible zits. One thing that people forget is that, overall, reel-to-reel tape is an excellent archival format. I've worked with 15 ips tapes made in the 1950s that sound as good today as the day they were recorded (which is often very good, indeed).

jusbe, jfeldt, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  25. TarnishedEars

In some ways it was better. In other ways, it was worse. It was the closest thing to a poor man's digital-recorder back when it came out though.

I purchased my first VHS hi-fi unit in 1988 I believe. It was one of those early models which actually had record-level meters on the front. It made some very good sounding recordings. But the sound wasn't perfect. It was possible to get the noise reduction to pump on some material, and I found that despite how it measured, it never sounded completely flat to my ears. I could always tell a difference between the recordings and the source. But unlike with conventional tape, it was not possible to tweak your bias to makeup for what subjectively sounded-like a drooping response curve at the top-end of the spectrum.

What killed it for me was how difficult it was to FF or RW to the spot on the tape that you wanted to listen to. I could put 6 + albums on a single tape, but finding the one that I wanted to hear was a real PITA.

Although years later I would program mine to record the audio from Art Bell's radio programs. The 6 hour tape length was perfect for recording his 5 hour shows.

andy749 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.