Dealing with dealers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, May 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If you check the luggage, you’ll avoid some fees if it’s under 50 lbs. Not sure what the outer box dimensions will be, but if they exceed 62 inches there’s a $150 fee. AA won’t accept any luggage that exceeds 126 inches.

Oversize and overweight baggage − Baggage − American Airlines

punkmusick likes this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

62 inches is over 5 feet long. I think it's safe to assume that a box containing a turntable will not be 5 feet long. The table is 40 lb. If you can ensure packaging is no more than anther 10 - you're OK. Worst case scenario - what's an extra $150 in this situation? I don't think it's a deal breaker.

punkmusick likes this.
  3. It’s total inches, so it will most likely exceed it (especially if double-boxed). Just pointing it out so the OP can best calculate the most affordable / safest solution.

punkmusick likes this.
  4. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Double box with some of that hard insulation foam found at big box hardware stores. The thick stuff

punkmusick likes this.
  5. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

If he can get it past customs as a $1700 unit what's a few extra airline fees. If I had to pay that much in import fee's I might just move.

6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

L+(W*2)+(H*2) is how UPS does it. I would guess the airlines are same

7. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Get a fake diplomatic passport for $500 on the black market, then you bring any goods home tax free. :cool::cool::cool:

mkane and punkmusick like this.
  8. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

A SL-1200GR showed up here for sale at a reasonable price and I'm itching and scratching like crazy. Only thing that is stopping me is the desire for a G, but the GR is already in Brazil and I would skip all this shipping/checking PITA.

9. Benzion

Go for it - if you read the reviews carefully, some say that you would need at least $10,000 worth of associated equipment in your system to even hear the difference between the G and the GR.

10. punkmusick

I have 10K associated equipment... Damn!

Mugrug12 likes this.
  11. Benzion

I feel for you, brother...:hugs:

punkmusick likes this.
  12. punkmusick

Hahaha

It's a rare chance to buy the GR locally, but I wonder if I will regret or still want to buy the G forever until I finally do.

13. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

If the price is good & the ex rate remains poor, buy it until a G comes along & then sell it on.

Owning a G & having auditioned a GR, I'm not sure you would know a difference without A-B.

Benzion and punkmusick like this.
  14. Benzion

You won't regret it, I promise. Especially with $10,000 in other gear - the GR will sing!

punkmusick likes this.
  15. punkmusick

I ordered it. It's a black 1210GR.

Jrr, Drewan77, Benzion and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

What’s the point of a brick and mortar store if they don’t have the merch in stock? Why should the customer be the bank? You might as well buy on line. I’m with Strat here. That dealer wants his cake and eat it too.

mkane and Strat-Mangler like this.
  17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The point of a brick and mortar sures is that the clerk or owner advises you, arranges auditions and helps you with setup if need be. That's the convenience you should be looking for, not immediate delivery.

Rolltide and Art K like this.
  18. GroovyVinylDood

GroovyVinylDood Forum Resident

IMHO, I'd NEVER pay in advance for anything. Ever. They either have it available to demo AND take home that day or they don't. Working with a "dealer" who wants to tie you down like that doesn't seem like someone I'd want to work with given the caliber of gear you're looking at but your (OP) opinion may be different and I respect that! Best of luck with your purchase :)

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Agreed, but the second part is subjective. Some people like myself would like to leave with the item, but I also know most dealers simply can’t afford to have everything sitting on a shelf, and in some cases there simply isn’t enough supply. But we were talking about the op paying up front. I don’t think the client should be the bank. A deposit is fair enough though. Generally speaking, you never leave a furniture store with furniture you pick out, so this is an accepted business model. But aside from a turntable purchased I made last year, I’ve never left a dealer on the first trip without what I auditioned. This includes brands by Krell, Thiel, Sony and others. And I left with a beautiful set of subs a few weeks ago that I specifically went to the store to so I could autition them. Had they not had them in stock, I would have saved $$ and ordered on line, which is another issue dealers really have to consider. However, since they had them I felt a responsibility to purchased from them, despite the extra cost. But if they want to use my money to buy them, frankly, I want the best deal. I appreciate being able to audition them, but they need to have them for me to leave with...but that’s just me. Many people are more patient but I just don’t have the time to run around back and forth. Or deal with delivery dates that keep getting delayed. If I can hear them, like them, and you stock the item, you have my business! And I’ll pay extra for that service. YMMV.

20. punkmusick

OK, couldn't resist and the SL-1210GR is playing now!

Listening now to the first songs in a noisy World Cup afternoon with a Brazilian game about to begin: fireworks, dogs barking, people walking around. Impossible to have an accurate listening. Anyway, first overall impression is very good. I have a 7 day trial if I want to return it but so far it's a keeper.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  21. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Do you have "Goal" by Depth Charge?

If not, get yourself in the mood with this!

22. punkmusick

Update:

I'm very satisfied with the SL-1210GR and I'm not considering buying the SL-1200G anymore, at least not now with the exchange rates being very unfavorable due to the current Brazilian currency crisis. GR is here, playing brilliantly, no need to deal with shipping or checking, so I consider my problem solved.

I said that to the dealer and she kindly said I can audition the G anyway, so in a couple of weeks I'll be there doing that just for fun.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.