Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Despite the beautiful weather yesterday I spent about 8 hours with some other vinyl nutters in a basement demo room listening to different phono stages, everything from about £70 to £10,000.

One of the demo tracks was a very familiar aria from Carmen, on an lp titled 'Maria Callas sings Great Arias from French Operas'. The original vinyl is on Columbia SAX 2410 but I will be buying a recent analogue re-issue by EMI Testament. I never normally enjoy opera but found this an utterly stunning performance and superb recording as well ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and ShallowMemory like this.
  2. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Yes I know! Lovely to be going back to Oxford, my birth town, for this event.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Very disappointed that Liverpool did not win ... :(

4. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Yes it was a shame. I watched the highlights last night, was a remarkable game for various reasons. The Gareth Bale goal was pure genius!

5. coopmv

My brother-in-law made a point to visit Oxford when he visited the UK some twenty years ago with my sister and my baby nephew. His ancestor originally came from Oxford ...

6. coopmv

Gareth Bale is like George Best, as they both play for a weak national side ...

7. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

It's a special place. Hideously busy with tourists and shoppers, but it's worth the effort to go.

8. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I'm hoping he will now return to England. He's obviously really upset about his lack of game time ...

9. coopmv

But he does not play for the England national team ...

10. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

My wife is a Classical Guitarist (graduating from the Frederick Chopin University of Music in Warsaw). So obviously I have been 'educated' in the good and the bad recordings of Classical Guitar.

I can confidently tell you that anything that contains performances by, or were directed by, Norbert Kraft on the Naxos label, are absolutely excellent :D. The Guitar Laureate series on Naxos is wonderful, I wish other forumites would dip their toes in...…. :)

11. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Yes but would prefer to see him join an English club now and leave Spain.

12. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Don't worry. I think most on the forum would realise that :)

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, I know her, but I'm not into classical vocal music, except for some orchestral song cycles.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

True, but the wolf seems to be returning to Western Europe. Several have been spotted in the last couple of years. And there are still bears in Eastern Europe.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

That's because he is Welsh and plays for their national team :)

16. coopmv

Now playing CD7 - French Suites Nos 1 - 4 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

tomymontana and bluemooze like this.
  17. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

You could have warm, muggy with large helping of thunder and lightning here in Staffordshire, North-west Midlands with lights dimming and the tv reception via antenna subject to much interference!

18. coopmv

But how often do you lose power? I can count on at least once every year. Back in 2012 when that Hurricane Sandy hit the northeast, a real rare event, my area lost power for a whole week ... :sigh::(

19. coopmv

Now playing CD4 -

Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 4 - Alexis Weissenberg
    Beethoven Triple Concerto in C - David Oistrakh, Mstislav Rostropovich and Sviatoslav Richter

from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  20. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Normally around four times a year but the supply is flaky around these parts with voltages dropping below 10%

21. coopmv

Power outage can happen just about anytime for us. When it is super hot, everyone and his cousin crank up their AC and that overloads the power grid. When we get heavy wet snow, we get down power-lines. The problem with the suburbs is all the power-lines are above ground. That is why NYC rarely loses power since most of its power-lines are underground ...

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  22. coopmv

I bet the wolves are protected and there would be stiff fines for harming them ...

23. coopmv

Johannette Zomer has a lovely voice ...

24. coopmv

Anyone here has any recordings by Leonid Kogan? My understanding is he was a great Russian violinist. While I have a good number of recordings by Viktoria Mullova who was his student, I do not have any recordings by Kogan himself ...

25. coopmv

:edthumbs: