Santana "Borboletta"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atmospheric, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident Thread Starter

I decided to also revisit Amigos and Inner Secrets.

I still find much of Amigos too saccharine sweet and cloying for my tastes. But I found myself liking Inner Secrets more than I have in the past. Yes, it's very slick in a 70's pop way that I don't normally embrace. But I found the songs interesting enough that I at least wasn't tempted to forward past them.

BTW, all my recent listening has been the 2014 HDtracks 24/96 downloads. Very nicely done.

2. Atmospheric

OK, very nice. Thanks for the tip. I will seek out the record.

3. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

There is were you lose me,Amigos is a half a lp ,but far better than Inner Secrets

Comet01 and Kingsley Fats like this.
  4. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Borboletta is way up there and has been since it came out. And I'm glad it has a thread here, because most Santanians seem not to know it exists. I saw them around this period and they were incredible. Sadly for me Shrieve, one of my favorite drummers, had just left to go solo for awhile. As I've mentioned before, there seem to be a lot of Weather Report influences on this, namely Sweetnighter and Mysterious Traveler, that were out a year or so before Borboletta's release.
    A real shame it never got the recognition some of the other records did.

ParloFax, Hep Alien and Atmospheric like this.
  5. Atmospheric

Thanks @Chazro for the Abaxas Pool tip. I checked out the record. I really liked about 2/3 of it, mostly the instrumentals. But that's still more than I liked about IV. Neil Schon acquits himself pretty well on Abraxas Pool. Maybe some of his best work. The stuff I liked is a solid B+, the stuff I didn't (insipid lyrics the main culprit), C-. A little compressed on the mastering. DR=9 for a 1997 recording.

[email protected] and Chazro like this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just sent Dutton Vocalion an email requesting or more like begging them to do a quad SACD of Borboletta :help:. Also requested Caravanserai and Welcome in quad on SACD while I was at it :D!

clhboa, stereoptic, quicksrt and 3 others like this.
  7. granola

granola Forum Resident

Leon’s Creation - Mirage

The original version of “Mirage” by Leon’s Creation (featuring Leon Patillo) has been reissued on the band’s debut LP, "This Is The Beginning,” which also premiered on CD and download.

(Patillo, with Carlos Santana and band, would later re-record “Mirage” for the Santana group’s “Borboletta” album.)

Label Site (“Acid Jazz”)

Leon's Creation - This Is The Beginning (LP)

Leon's Creation - This Is The Beginning (CD)

8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Finally got around to buying this album. Never heard it before. After falling in love with "Caravanserai" this one is a nice continuation of that vibe. I'll be listening to this one more for sure.

Hep Alien and Bill Mac like this.
  9. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

In case you haven't heard it, try Lotus, the triple LP live album recorded in 1973 in Japan, after Caravanserai and before Welcome and Borboletta. For me it's the most essential Santana in my collection after the first 3 albums.

10. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

I enjoy nearly all Santana recordings. But not a single one stands up against Chick and and the boys..oh and Flora Purim. To Mr RTF was on another galaxy...no pun intended.

Purple Jim likes this.
  11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Anyone heard the Speakers Corner LP of Borboletta?

12. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yeah, I have that one (as well as "Welcome"). To be honest I haven't played it much. I'll have to have another go at it.

13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

First side with really nice live recordings in Japan very jazz oriented. If I'm not wrong, the keyboardist is Chris Rhyne coming from Gino Vannelli Band.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  14. Ziggy Stardog

Ziggy Stardog Forum Resident

I have Borboletta and Welcome from Speakers corner and think they sound excellent. The same is true of other Speakers Corner titles in my collection.

richbdd01 likes this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Only one i have is Caravanserai on Speakers Corner and its good but cut very quiet. I do want Borboletta though...

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I know around that time Carlos had Graham Lear (drums) and Richard Baker (keyboards) who had both been with Vannelli.

17. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I was mistaken.
    In that solo album, Chris Rhyne only plays on Life Is Just A Passing Parade.
    The live tunes were played by Tom Coster in Osaka, Japan, Dec 7, 1977.

18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Don't know how you missed it either, one of all time fav Santana albums. :agree:

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  19. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Been slowly accumulating Santana vinyl (fairly easy to get in U.K. at low prices with exception of lotus) after having the first three for many years
    These 70’s sets have some incredible music - such a shame not more well known - and sound sublime
    Great records ( and yes I have the CDs too!) but love the vinyl feel and packaging on the originals

20. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

I love what Santana brings to this Flora Purim song, such great, soulful playing! Also, as with Borboletta, from that blissful year of 1974, by the way.

Louis Kirsch and Robitjazz like this.
  21. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

I have the original uk version of this i bought in the 80,s, second hand from a shop
    The vinyl is mint and i had a good listen to it lately for the first time in years, still a great album

Gavaxeman likes this.
  22. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

One of the best and overlooked albums by Santana.

peachyg72, Bill Mac and strummer101 like this.
  23. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Great record that was easily my late wife's favourite of all the music I subjected her to on a daily basis.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  24. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

I’m hoping Caravanserai & Borboletta will be given an “extended” treatment, a la Santana I & Santana III.

Bill Mac likes this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If only. I think that ship has sailed.

tug_of_war likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.