The Rolling Stones “Some Girls” Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clanceman, May 25, 2018.

1. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident Thread Starter

You’re no fraud at all!

I appreciate the kind words.

But hey, I’ve lurked, appreciated, & have even posted a bit on your threads re: various pop artists.

That was just my thread starter. I had (still have) friends & family from 78’ who liked, loved, hated, used to like, like again, love now but not then...this particular record.

If you own this record, used to, or have listened to something from it ever...it’s yours as much as mine.

I think most of us view music as the “universal language” and unifier. Personally, I love & welcome any and all comments. Take care & thanks for posting. :)

Zoot Marimba and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Clanceman

Lol...

After all these years hangin with ya here, I’d have never thought you didn’t have this one. Are you sure it’s not buried somewhere between those 100 Kiss records? Maybe the cd is stuck inside one of the long forgotten “Marino” Zep jewel jewel cases? Lol

Zoot Marimba and johnny q like this.
  3. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Ya know what! All joking aside, I actually may have it somewhere, in some format. Actually now that I think about it, I may have it on a hard drive somewhere in 24 bit. In fact......I am fairly certain!

Clanceman likes this.
  4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Easily top 3 of Stones albums I love.

Zoot Marimba and rufus t firefly like this.
  5. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

For me Beast of Burden is a perfect song. It sounds to the Stones from beggining to end. Sexy as it gets...

All Down The Line and Clanceman like this.
  6. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Got a stack of pressings. The one I like is the Ted Jensen - TJ - in the deadwax US mastering pressed in the U.K. I.e., the english pressing using the american mastering. Why? I have no idea....

Avoid the vinyl Virgin remaster from 1994. It sucks. Flat and lifeless.

CBackley and Monkadee like this.
  7. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I have a UK pressing with Sterling TJ in the deadwax. No barcode and die cut cover. I’ve always considered it to be an original. This thread inspired me to spin it this afternoon. What a fantastic copy of a great album! I know I’ll end up buying the new Showell mastered box but I just don’t see how this album could sound any better. I hope it at least compares favorably.

Monkadee likes this.
  8. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I was just posting about this very pressing as your post came up. I agree. I don’t see any way to Top this one.

Monkadee likes this.
  9. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

Are we going to discuss deluxe version with bonus tracks? Too soon ?

10. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Great thread! Absolutely love this album. My first exposure to the Stones. I was four. My father bought it new in ‘78, original cover and all. I studied that thing intensely over the years...so much cool stuff on that sleeve. I remember asking my parents who the pepole were.

Of course, I couldn’t get enough of the music. I listened to Shattered over and over. This album had some mega-hits, and all of them are excellent, particularly Beast of Burden. As I got a bit older I really came to appreciate every track. Before They Make Me Run might be my favorite Richards’ vocal.

I had a clean original inner Sterling TJ Presswell pressing sitting on my shelf for about 20 years after I’d abandoned records for CDs. When I went back to vinyl a few years ago it was one of the first albums I played. I’ve since acquired a SP Sterling pressing with the pale colors from my father-in-law’s collection and an original Japanese pressing with the Sterling mastering, both with banned original inners. The Japanese pressing is on super quiet vinyl. All three sound good, and just a bit different from each other, even though they are presumably the same mastering. I also found a never-played 12” Special Disco Version of Miss You, which sounds incredible.

Like @Clanceman this album carries a lot of nostalgia for me and I will never tire of it.

Clanceman likes this.
  11. Clanceman

I know what music you like.

I predict there’s prob parts of some tunes & maybe a couple that are “you”...tbh.

The 3 guitar “attack” you prob dig...plus Bill’s bass lines. :)

johnny q likes this.
  12. Clanceman

Love this bro!

If ya have time...please feel free (and others too) to expand on the nostalgia!

Like: Where were you? Memories on the radio...happy times....challenging times....what ever hits ya! :righton:

snorker likes this.
  13. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Thank you limitations of vinyl!

Clanceman and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

I like it but it's hardly my favorite Stones Album, I own the pre under construction LP and the under Construction LP and a CD of it. The songs I like off of it are Some Girls, Beast Of Burden and Far Away Eyes. I enjoy Tattoo You more, I do agree that it is the last good Stones album though.

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

So you enjoy Tattoo You more but it is not a good Stones album? It was released after Some Girls.

16. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

I guess I meant I enjoy Tattoo You, more than Some Girls, I think Some Girls was the last album from the Stones that I liked. A lot of the songs off TTY were recorded before Some Girls.

17. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

WTWCD is relentless. lately been ensconced with the 78 tour warmup

Clanceman and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Only 4 and they were overdubbed for Tattoo You . The rest of the songs are from the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue sessions.

19. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I currently have three vinyl pressings of Some Girls and have had about 7 overall through the years. The one I like best is a Sterling radio station promo pressing. Very immediate and lively sonics.

For reference the deadwax is
    A Side: "Sterling" stamp, TJ ST RS 784079 C
    B Side: "Sterling" stamp, TJ ST RS 784080 FF

20. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I've only ever heard the CBS and Atlantic vinyl versions- the Atlantic LP is way better sounding IMO.
    I'm not the world's biggest Some Girls/Some Girls bonus disc fan, either- doesn't make me any less of a Stones fan:righton:
    Which I will do as soon as we're done with Dirty Work.
    I never liked "Just My Imagination"- just not my cup of tea, and the ten minute long live versions are even more tedious to me. Minority opinion, I know.
    Smack Heads Soup.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I think that Some Girls, Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You is a great run. Yes, I'm an ER fan. Would like the Stones to do more from this era live, but it is what it is, and still great for it.

22. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Agree that Mick lays it on thick for this one, but it works for the material, IMO. You can call *me* a blasphemer, but when it comes to the Stones' fake country songs, I skip "Far Away Eyes" a lot less than I skip "Dead Flowers".

All Down The Line likes this.
  23. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Well, I agree with every word of what he said about "Lies" and GHS and I chuckled at the Clarence Ashley joke.

Clanceman likes this.
  24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I don't skip either of 'em but if there's three Stones songs where Mick's hick impersonation does grate on me it's "Dear Doctor", "Far Away Eyes" and "Dead Flowers" even though I dig the humour of the lyrics just the same.

uzn007 likes this.
  25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Personally, I can tolerate Dead Flowers more than Far Away Eyes or Dear Doctor.

OldSoul likes this.