What Type Of Cassette Deck do you own?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Evil Strawberry, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellion

hellion Forum Resident

Picked up a nakamichi cr 1a for cheap and had it reconditioned, works and looks great ☺️

The FRiNgE likes this.
  2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Nakamichi 480, like it a lot.

3. crazy eights

crazy eights Truckstop Lovechild

have had a nakamichi cr1a and cr2a since new, both are working perfectly, and i have boxes of cassettes i've been going throuugh and listening, it's been a lot of fun and am surprised by how good it sounds, haven't really sat down and listened to them in a while, lots of great memories

Alan2 and The FRiNgE like this.
  4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Pioneer CTF-9191 had for years.

Still works good.

Don't use it much these days.

5. Bert Oz

Bert Oz Forum Resident

Yamaha KX250.
    Works perfectly but rarely used.

6. Miha Podlogar

Miha Podlogar Well-Known Member

Kenwood Basic X1, still a great machine !!

arisinwind likes this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

None, its an obsolete format and one of the worst sounding

8. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Nakamichi CR-7A. Great sounding deck. Still hooked up and I do listen every now and then to old compilation I recorded on a superb Akai 3 head GXC 760-D cassette machine more than 30 years ago!

9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I have one of those units. It is indeed an awesome machine, and it is one of the very best cassette decks ever made. Unfortunately mine has suffered from disuse for many years now.

10. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I too agree that the CR-7A is one of the best (if not the best) cassette decks ever made. In late 1993 I ordered a CR-7A and the dealer told me two weeks later that he could not get any more stock on these because Nakamichi had stopped making them. I tired several other dealers and they all had no stock. I was bummed and decided not to buy a new cassette deck ( I had already sold my old Nak B300 ). I then went to an audio show in NYC about a year or two later. Dolby was there and running a demo of Dolby S on a Sony cassette deck that they had modified to add Dolby S. They would play a CD, then record a copy of it using a Type IV cassette ( I forget what brand it was) and Dolby S and then do an AB between the recorded cassette and the CD. It was the best cassette deck I had heard since hearing a CR-7A two or three years before that. In 1996 when Sony introduce the TC-KA3ES cassette deck with Dolby S in the US I bought one. I still have it, it still works ( it has been repaired once ) and I would love to do a shootout with it and a CR-7A some day.

jusbe, vwestlife and fmuakkassa like this.
  11. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

My CR-7A maybe due for a tune-up. I am thinking of sending it to eslabs to bring it to as new condition. I checked e-bay and these machines in good condition at fetching between $1500 to $2800.

12. macster

macster Forum Resident

I can help you out with this, not a problem. But at the least turn it on at least every week or so and play a tape in it. You don't have to have it hooked up to a system. The idea is to keep the electronics and rubber in good order. But if that's too much, send it to me I'll do it. :D

M~

13. Tony Plachy

Your right again, the average price for a CR-7A in good sound working order is about $24oo ( in 1993 they retailed for $1850 ). What surprised me when I checked out prices was that you cannot easily find a US voltage Sony TC-KA3ES at any price (perhaps because they were only made between 1996 - 2000, and by then CD's had really cut into the cassette market and things like DAT started to pop up). There are plenty of 100V (Japan) TC-Ka3ES models for sale but you need a transformer to make it work in the US.

14. Yamaha K-30 Natural Sound dual deck

DRM likes this.
  15. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Yes, I checked e-bay and almost all of the Sony TC-Ka3ES are from Japan. Not as expensive as I thought it was going to be. Even Japan to US power transformers at not expensive either.

16. Tony Plachy

Thank you for posting this, it reminded me to run my cassette deck.

17. Night Rider

Night Rider Well-Known Member

I used to have a Sony, but now a Denon DRS-610 (horizontal loader mechanism). It gets occasional usage.

c-eling likes this.
  18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have a DRS-810. It is a nice deck. :righton:

c-eling likes this.
  19. JVC KD-V6. Three head, but no auto-reverse, Dolby S, or external bias controls (but there’s a mod to add it). Mine is a bit rough, it doesn’t record with Dolby, and the record level is a bit messed up (records higher on one channel than the other), but it plays back everything perfectly. I’ve got a cassette of the vinyl version of Brothers in Arms that sounds perfect.

AidanB and c-eling like this.
  20. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thrift store about a month ago
    Philips FC950
    [​IMG]

stef1205, Donniej and PhilBiker like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nakamichi BX300e

22. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

PIONEER CT-S800 3-HEAD LaserAmorphous cassette deck (1988)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lpman_t, jusbe, Donniej and 4 others like this.
  23. alexpop

What about dat machines, minidisc?

24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I have a Sony high end recorder deck (TC-K611S) that's now broken. I think it probably needs a belt or two, but I can't even seem to figure out where all the screws to open it up are. I hate to throw it out, but it's pretty useless right now. It was working well up until about a year ago.

25. alexpop

Belts should only be about 12$.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.