TV Shows That Should Not Have Existed, Yet Did

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JamieC, May 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Funny - that's what the cavemen used to say about "stimulating conversation"...:D

2. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

3. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Annoying is right! Her voice was headache-inducing. Hard to believe she was originally offered the starting role in Bewitched! Can you imagine if she'd gotten it instead of the gorgeous Elizabeth Montgomery?!?!

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I always said it would've been a fantastic show if they had actually shipped Gomer Pyle to Vietnam, and the show descends from being a comedy into total Apocalypse Now by the end.

I worked on an surprising number of these 1980s cartoons, at least 10. One of the producers (I won't mention who) used to tell me, "Marc, I don't think of this as a terrible show -- think of it as a way for me to employ 40 people a week!" And I said, "I ain't complainin!" I've tuned out most of the show content and mainly remember my experience with the people who did the shows, and often the worst shows had the nicest people, and the best shows had awful people.

Muppet Babies was actually a really charming show and they worked very hard on it. It was good... you know, for kids. And the producers on that one were fun and great to work with.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    SomeCallMeTim and geralmar like this.
  5. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

The upper classes, maybe.

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

I find this works best as audio only. The animation is not very good.

7. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

The 3 girls were grown up and hot, especially the youngest one who had really developed by then. Otherwise, I thought my variety shows were lame so that aspect didn't bother me.

8. James Slattery

Something which most horrendous shows seem to have in common. It's About Time, Gilligan's Island, My Mother the Car, Ugliest Girl in Town, etc. All terrible shows with good theme songs.

9. James Slattery

No, she actually left for The Nancy Walker Show, which was a VERY funny sitcom she starred in with William Daniels and produced by Norman Lear. For whatever reason, it only lasted half a season and when the network pulled the plug, she went to this show. As for Blansky's Beauties, any show with Caren Kaye in it has some redeeming value in my book.

10. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

JamieC wrote the following in response to my post that mentioned Star Trek - The Animated Series:

An animated Star Trek series had potential (and at least one episode, "Yesteryear," seems to have become part of canon), but unfortunately Filmation wasn't the best choice for an animation studio. The one thing that I found off putting about Filmation's animation style are the stock poses. Watch any Filimation program and you will see the same poses over and over again (one of the most noticeable is the 45-degree face shot that Filmation uses for every character).

Filmation had potential (as shown by the movie Pinocchio And The Emperor Of The Night, which I thought was a good movie and features one of the scariest moments in movie history) and an animated Star Trek series should have been able to do stories that couldn't have been done in live action (such as featuring alien characters that were not just humans-in-makeup).

What would be interesting is if they took the audio from Star Trek - The Animated Series and put new animation to it (such as by an anime studio). There has already been an manga Star Trek (featuring stories set in the Original Series era), so it should be possible to do an anime Star Trek series.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, but... Fake Jan!

12. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Chachi was a drummer for Richie’s band. Let’s not make it sound more contrived than it was.

13. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

This really does have to be seen to be believed:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.