The Beatles were only an active band for eight years and look what they accomplished.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    jwoverho likes this.
  2. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I was 10 when the Beatles hit, grew up with the whole British invasion thing.
    I'd still rather listen to The Velvet Underground any day.

Willowman and Daniel Plainview like this.
  3. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

When Lou said the beatles were garbage was he being an a hole or was he speaking from the heart, sincerely, and truly? It's not even a contest.

4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

They were one of the greats...

5. ralphb

Christ I'm so tired of everybody holding up this off hand and hugely snarky NYC comment as some kind of demonstration of Lou's lousy attitude towards everything not Lou.
    He was an expert at throwing shade, he did it to everybody at one point or another, depending on his mood. It had nothing to do with liking or disliking anybody, it had to do with him trying to entertain himself.

6. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

I'll bet he did it for the publicity,...."Hey did you hear what Lou Reed said? Wow man he's a heavy dude, I gotta check out Velvet Underground"
    Remember he was in with Warhol and that guy did everything for effect and to get a reaction.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  7. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

A musical artist usually has ten years to say his thing. I like Lovesexy, but after that, he was done.

vince likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Btw. Lou Read, VU etc. Most overrated ****..

9. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

For me, the biggest accomplishment of the Beatles is that they created music good enough that I still haven't been turned off of it completely by the bizarre fanaticism of a small number of their fans.
    I'm not a Beatles-hater but I can see where they come from. Ironic that the band's most ardent supporters do the most to alienate people from enjoying the band's music with their relentless zealotry.

D.D.

moops and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

11. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Exactly what I mean when I say "being an a hole"

12. ralphb

Not in New York.

13. Diamond Dog

@DRM, if you want to subscribe to that opinion, feel free. To the unindoctrinated, however, that sort of stuff just appears as more specious output from the Beatlemaniacal Echo Chamber that I referred to in my previous post. Regardless, claiming that some Soviet-era activists found inspiration in the music of the Beatles falls miles short of your claim that the Beatles "expanded the Free World". Unless you've got a photo you can post showing Paul McCartney swinging a (literal ) sledge at the Berlin Wall, citing a book authored by a Beatlemaniac for other Beatlemaniacs to substantiate your own Beatlemania really isn't much of an argument, is it ? Further, claiming the the Beatles "expanded the Free World" is also an insult to the people who actually died, were imprisoned in gulags or made other real, actual sacrifices to throw off the yoke of oppression. If you want to equate Back In The USSR with One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich, you can do that. You do have that right to express that opinion... but be aware that a lot of people find that opinion flawed at best and offensive at worst.

Abbey Road is a great record.

D.D.

moops and ralphb like this.
  14. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Look at what the Sex Pistols accomplished.

15. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The Beatles worked extraordinarily hard before they made it on the world stage. And then their schedule was absolutely grueling for years. We can't begrudge such hard work and the resulting extraordinary results. These 2 books both mention the Beatles...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

You and me and bunch of other Beatlemaniacs were glued to our TVs that night.

YpsiGypsy and Somerset Scholar like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Is that the book that begins, "I read the Pravda today, oh comrade"? ... ;)

Ludger likes this.
  18. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Yes, those people are ruining it for everyone. We can only tolerate this for so long. Let's teach them a lesson and hate things. That always works.

19. Diamond Dog

There is a middle ground here. It's where most of us here stand on the topic. No deification, no demonization.

D.D.

moops likes this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Not at all. Grafitti Bridge was a bit of a disappointment at the time (it sounds better now), so some thought that he had lost his mojo but he carried on making fantastic music right up to the end. I couldn't give a **** if it didn't sell as much as his earlier stuff.

ralphb likes this.
  21. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

To jest Prawda!

22. Arnold Grove

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Kremlin ... ;)

23. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Garbage. They created garbage.

applejam101 likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

[​IMG] ;)

Hermes and applejam101 like this.
  25. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Where does you get those wonderful toys? ;)

Photographic recall that is....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.