What is the "thing" that stop cassette, to became like reel to reel?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HDOM, May 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I stumbled across this format on a Techmoan video on YouTube and it looked like it would be a great format for home use and could have be a companion, if not a replacement, for the turntable.

To me, the one thing that hinders any tape format is the issue of duplication. With vinyl and CD, you can create a disc in either format in the matter of a few seconds. However, with tape to create a copy in the same amount of time you have to duplicate it at high speed which reduces the sound quality. If I've calculated correctly:
    • 40 minute album on cassette contains 20 minutes of tape.
    • To duplicate it in 30 seconds requires duplication at around 32 times normal speed.

2. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

True, high speed duplication was always one of the bane's of tape's existence. But there were a handful of audiophile labels which made real-time duplicates which did sound very good. But these weren't cheap!

And I'm not sure if there was every any pre-recorded media available for Elcaset. I'm guessing that the extend of this was probably just a handful of Sony Demo tapes.

3. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

They (RCA) did in 1958.

It flopped.

[​IMG]

4. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I have to think the swing back to analog will be more tape rather than vinyl.

HDOM likes this.
  5. TarnishedEars

I'd never seen one of those side by side a Cassette before. That sucker is way bigger than even an Elcaset!

But back then 3.75 ips tape's performance was quite poor. Most R2Rs of that era only had bandwidth to about 15kHz at 7.5 ips. So I'd be willing to bet that this format didn't get past about 12kHz.

6. TarnishedEars

Although I hope that I'm wrong, I personally suspect that the swing back to analog has probably already past it peak. From a purely technological perspective, analog media is pretty hard to justify with the quality of some of today's digital.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Would it (or a modernized version) still flop today, given advances in technology?

9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I prefer the sound of Beatles via VHS vs. DVD.

HDOM likes this.
  10. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Likewise, I've heard very good sound from good quality cassette decks. Certainly, dubs of CDs made on the JVC dual capstan deck I have are usually indistinguishable from the original CD (granted, on quality tape I can't get anymore).

DRM likes this.
  11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of JVC cassette decks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    HDOM and rcsrich like this.
  12. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Also, the cassette was meant to be used for voice dictation in the workplace, in mono, not for music, in stereo. Through a lot of technical materials innovation (better and more heads [3 vs. 2], different tape formulations with different bias needs, bias fine-tuning -- even doubling the tape speed to 3-3/4 IPS on some machines) and audio Band-aids (mostly The Dolbies), it progressed to being a decent-quality music delivery system. That said, I was fine with never using a cassette tape again once I moved on to other things, but I was able to make a good sounding cassette back in the day, typically via a 3-head machine, Dolby C, HXPro, Type II or Type IV tapes, bias adjustment.

13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Cassettes are, by far, my preferred way to listen to music these days.

jusbe likes this.
  14. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

The player would not fit in cars, and it would make portables even heavier.

. . . plus the uphill battle to sell anything physical in a streaming/download culture.

DRM likes this.
  15. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member Thread Starter

i belive is the bass and deep sound that makes analoge specialt

DRM likes this.
  16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

All true, but one of the things that made the MFSL cassettes sound so fabulous was the totally re-engineered cassette mechanism they created.

Another outlandish expense but it gave their cassettes a rock solid sound - playback devices were able to achieve lower flutter because of the very high quality cassette mechanism. Their cassettes were so good that in blind listening tests at a University in Florida between the MFSL cassette and the MFSL vinyl, listeners preferred the cassette.

17. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member Thread Starter

i would like to listen a mono cassette with a mono amp and a big mono speaker :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i guess for now it is youtube listen to mono and cassette then :laugh:

jusbe, TarnishedEars and DRM like this.
  18. MLutthans

RE: MFSL's cassette division, from an old interview with MFSL's Gregg Schnitzer:

19. MLutthans

Here's the model of JVC machine on which MFSL dubbed those cassettes:

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Seems counter-intuitive to me. Vinyl is simpler, less reliant on adjustments and wear (head alignment, etc.).
    Plus records are popular for the art friendly format (album cover...)

21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Thank you. Great interview.

"As we slogged through the re-engineering of the candidate decks we started feeling a bit overwhelmed. The task looked hopeless. Then, one day, I opened up a KD A77 JVC deck. It was a mid priced unit but lo and behold. It had a 15V power supply. Whoooopeeee. It could drive full swing from the wider bandwidth LF353 op amps we were replacing 4558's with and could punch the bias where it needed to be. Those changes and a few other little things and we had the ultra hotrod recorder of our dreams. They weren't super at playback but man oh man, could they print a mean signal."

MLutthans likes this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And that machine is awesome. Could lay one heck of a signal down on a cassette. Radio station I engineered for at one time had one in the production room. It recorded really well, and it's tapes played back better on the Tascams in the building. My CE at the time hotrodded that JVC.

MLutthans and DRM like this.
  23. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It would unless it had more than two companies behind it supporting it. RCA and Bel Canto were the main supporters of the format.

DRM likes this.
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Seems like if the ‘want’ and money were there it could have been more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.