Rectify - Sundance Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Malina, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malina

Malina Forum Resident Thread Starter

Has anyone been watching this show? I'm a cord cutter so I was unaware of Rectify until I stumbled across an article on the internet. The first 3 seasons are on Netflix and season 4 is starting on Sundance on October 26th. This is a really great show, I blew through the first 3 seasons in a couple weeks.

Ratings per Wikipedia:

The first season of Rectify received critical acclaim, scoring a Metacritic rating of 82 out of 100 based on 28 reviews.[17] One of the positive reviews of Rectify was from the Los Angeles Times, which called the series "mesmerizing."[18] A less positive review in The New York Times noted the slow pace of the series after the first episode and a quarter.[19] Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gave the first season a rating of 90% based on 30 reviews, with an average rating of 8.4 out of 10, with the critical consensus: "Rectify is a stylish drama that rewards patient viewers with deep characters and plotlines."[20]

The second season continued to receive critical acclaim, with a Metacritic rating of 92 out of 100 based on 16 reviews.[21] Rotten Tomatoes gave the second season a 95% rating, based on 20 reviews with an average rating of 9 out of 10 and the critical consensus: "Its scenic landscapes and rewarding slow burn prove Rectify's second season to be just as good, if not better, than the first."[22] Tim Goodman of The Hollywood Reporter wrote that "it remains as riveting and unique as ever."[23]

The third season also received critical acclaim with a Metacritic rating of 89 out of 100 based on 11 reviews.[24] Rotten Tomatoes gave the third season a 100% rating, based on 15 reviews with an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 and the critical consensus: "Rectify's subtlety draws viewers in deeper during season three – and they continue to be rewarded with quality acting, compelling dialogue, and thought-provoking drama."[25] Jeff Jensen of Entertainment Weekly wrote, "It's rich with beautifully crafted scenes that capture the distance, anger, and confusion of a fragmenting family and souls in flux."[26] Brian Lowry of Variety wrote, "Rectify remains a master class in nuance — in small looks and long pauses that say more than pages of dialogue."[27]

GodShifter likes this.
  2. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Great show looking forward to the final season. Man the sister is hot.

mrjinks and rogertheshrubber like this.
  3. Malina

That she is. Not a lot of Rectify fans but I see the Big Brother thread is at 31 pages. :laugh:

rebellovw likes this.
  4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Didn't think anyone tuned into Sundance around here!;) I really enjoyed Hap & Leonard and last night watched the finale of the outstanding Italian series; Gomorra (really terrific TV!). Looks like I'll be giving Rectify a shot!

5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

And if you've ever been Rectified, you know how painful that can be

mrjinks likes this.
  6. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Bought the first two seasons on DVD and plan to get the third. Very unique series. You actually have to listen to what people are saying and pay attention to how they are saying it, rather than being shown the action.

kanakaris and Malina like this.
  7. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

So here's my 'Rectify' update, which doubles as a primer on modern day viewing techniques in the 21st century!;). As I mentioned earlier in the thread, when the ads announcing the 4th season came out, never having seen the show, my interest was piqued. I set my DVR to record the season. I didn't want to watch it before seeing the earlier episodes on Netflix. But I never got around to it. Until yesterday. I binge- watched the 1st season (only 6 episodes) and I'm all in! Really terriffic storytelling. It struck me that although the subject matter is very mature and intense, it's told tastefully. Sex acts are shown briefly but the show has no nudity or foul language (so far!). Don't misunderstand, I'm no prude, but I think it shows skill to tell this particular story without going there. It absolutely deserves all the accolades it's received, outstanding!

8. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I think this show is remarkable. One impressive thing it did was to transform Teddy from verging on caricature to a real character. He remained dislikable to me (at least through season 3), but he had three dimensions and I felt his misfortunes instead of dismissing them as deserved comeuppance.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Cool, I have a new series to watch :thumbsup:. Thanks!

Malina likes this.
  10. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

We really enjoyed the show the first couple of seasons. However, this latest season seemed pretty boring to us. There was an interplay betseen the blonde lady and her ex husband that was so monotonous that we turned it off. Haven't turned it on since. The original premise was very intritguing. What it might be like on death row. How one tries to get back into a real life after such an experience. The mystery of who killed the girl. All good. However, I did not really get in to the rest of the characters, and it seems to have evolved into another soap opera.

If the rest of this season is really that compelling, well I still have it on the DVR.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Appreciate the head's up on that spoiler alert! No really, thank's a lot!:(

12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Well considering the converssation happened several episodes ago, I cannot see how that would interfere w your viewing. I meant no harm, but apologize.

13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Okay, I finished this up yesterday. I found this to be a terrific series and unlike any other I've ever seen in terms of its pacing, emotional depth, and character development (and this over just four seasons and roughly 30 episodes at about 45 minutes a piece in length - give or take). I have to say, though, that this has to be one of the most profoundly depressing shows I've ever seen. It might just be my mindset right now, but I found many of the episodes to be heartbreaking and very, very sad. Even the end, which is uplifting in its on way, leaves you wondering about the futures of these people (especially the main character). Not a subject I want to get into AT ALL, but it also certainly changed my opinion on the death penalty and solitary confinement, especially the solitary confinement part. Yikes! That whole concept just gives me the willies just thinking about it.

14. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I also finished watching last week and am convinced this was one of the finest things I've ever seen on television. An angle that I haven't seen anywhere is the Deadwood 'connection'. Creator/writer/director Ray McKinnon played the crazed preacher (an absolutely terrific performance btw!). Being a die-hard Deadwood fan, it was cool to see some of his old castmates sprinkled throughout the series!

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The Deadwood cast are all seasoned TV series vets that show up a lot. "Justified" had quite a few and I think "True Detective" and "House of Cards" had several as well. Rectify had W. Earl Brown, Sean Bridgers, and Leon Rippy. Did I forget anyone?

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Been looking for a new show. I'm going to give this one a shot.

17. Malina

Season 4 has been added to Netflix so anyone who wants to watch the whole thing it is now available!

GodShifter and Encuentro like this.
  18. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Just finished this up. Not my normal thing at all, but I thought it was an amazing series. It had a unique and moving quality that is difficult to describe.

Malina and Encuentro like this.
  19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Absolutely nothing happened in season three. The rest of it was pretty good. I liked the actress who played his sister. She was in everything at the time, now she's dropped off the planet.

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

One of the best dramas I’ve seen in recent years.

21. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Funny that my post from last year is just now getting some likes when I got the third season in the mail today for my wife's Christmas present. I wonder if the fourth season will make it to DVD or Blu-ray? I've been forced to go to streaming to see a few other series.

22. Okay, I started watching this last night, based upon reviews of some of you in here who I respect their opinions.

Usually for an older show, if I don't like the first episode, I won't bother. There are just too many good shows out there to give my time.

I watched the first two episodes of this one last night, and it kept me intrigued, especially since Daniel is so difficult to figure out. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that he's so detached, yet engaged at the same time. I don't know if I would dig hanging out with somebody like that. I mean, I know he's gone through a lot, and people handle hardships differently, but I can't tell if he's completely off his acorn, or whatever?

In a sense, that's pretty cool. At the end of Episode 2,
    when he's jerking off
    that let me know that he at least is operating on a fairly normal level, where most of his previous actions gave me no feeling like that at all. Then I remind myself, well, I'm sure even Hitler beat his meat, so that tells me nothing.

I get a shades of Bloodline from this series.

So, without giving anything away, does Daniel change? Because, as intriguing as he is, I'm not sure I can take his personality for 28 more episodes. :)

GodShifter and Encuentro like this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yes, his character evolves. His journey is very moving.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it. This show doesn’t get enough love.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Daniel's certainly a unique character and I'd agree, he's not easy to cozy up to BUT....I'd at least give it a few more episodes before making a decision. The show is special!;)

Encuentro likes this.
  25. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Just binged this show and really enjoyed it. All the characters were three-dimensional. The only outright villains are Senator Foulkes and Trey Willis (what a performance by Sean Bridgers). I don't think I've seen anything else like it on TV. It's definitely one that I'll re-watch.

The soundtrack for the first couple of seasons was really good. Some of my favorite bands (Drive-by Truckers, The Drones) used as incidental music? Somebody behind the scenes had good taste.

GodShifter, kanakaris and Encuentro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.